RamWraith is offline Registered User

Its offical--Martz gone

SAD DAYS!!! you will be missed by some Mad Mike!!!

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/02/2006
    Rams Martz
    The Rams and the agent for Mike Martz (above) will start discussions Monday to end Martz's tenure as the Rams head coach.
    (Chris Lee/P-D)

Rams head coach Mike Martz was informed by team president John Shaw this morning that his contract will be terminated.

Martz, who has been the Rams head coach for six years and with the organization for 13 seasons, has one year remaining on his contract.

It remains to be seen whether that contract year will be settled with the organization or whether Martz will be fired outright.

If he's fired, the team would owe him $3.25 million.

The team has scheduled a news conference for 12:30 p.m. at Rams Park.

Shaw did not attend the Rams' season finale against the Cowboys. But in a phone interview Sunday afternoon, Shaw had said the issue could be decided today.

"I'd say that's a possibility, sure," Shaw said Sunday. "But I've had no contact with Mike, and none with (Bob) LaMonte, either."

LaMonte is Martz's agent. Neither LaMonte nor Martz returned phone messages left by the Post-Dispatch on Sunday. Martz was believed to be traveling back to St. Louis after spending the Christmas holidays in his hometown of San Diego.

Shaw had insisted all along that he would not begin talks with Martz and LaMonte until after Martz was medically cleared to return to coaching. That medical clearance became official Sunday.

A team meeting has been scheduled for 11 this morning. The news will hardly qualify as a surprise to Rams players, who have expected Martz's ouster for several weeks.

As for the expected afternoon news conference, one Rams veteran said, "I'm going to get some popcorn and watch this one."

With the team's overall won-loss record hovering slightly above .500 since the 2001 Super Bowl season, Shaw was unwilling earlier this season to unconditionally commit to a contract extension for Martz beyond the 2006 season. That led to increased friction between Martz and the front office.

Martz last coached the team Oct. 9 against Seattle before taking a leave of absence to recover from a bacterial infection of a heart valve, known as endocarditis. The front-office feud boiled over later that month when Martz was prevented from communicating with the coaching staff via cell phone during the Rams' game Oct. 23 against New Orleans.

Shortly thereafter, a report surfaced in which Martz allegedly told a reporter that Shaw was not interested in winning, and that Shaw said the team lost money going to the Super Bowl.

That report so upset Shaw that he decided to change head coaches at the end of this season.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Its offical--Martz gone

seems like shaw wants a head coach that wants to agree with him about not going to the superbowl(to save money) and the next rams head coach will have 0% power in 2006. we are gonna miss you Mike this is a sad day in Rams town all you martz haters watch this team go down the drain its gonna be like shaw himself is going to be on the sidelines cheering the rams to Defeat !
    Torry Holt Dont play that

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Its offical--Martz gone

SAD, SAD, SAD day in Rams Nation today. Shaw will regret letting Martz go. Hello Rich Brooks-2

Maineram - :moon:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

DIEHARDRAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by letsgoramz
    seems like shaw wants a head coach that wants to agree with him about not going to the superbowl(to save money) and the next rams head coach will have 0% power in 2006. we are gonna miss you Mike this is a sad day in Rams town all you martz haters watch this team go down the drain its gonna be like shaw himself is going to be on the sidelines cheering the rams to Defeat !
    its good to see martz gone we lost a super bowl that should have been ours once that happend we shoul have got rid of him

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Shaw DID NOT ATTEND the Teams final game??

This is like Alice in Wonderland

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by letsgoramz
    LMAO!! YOU may MISS him...I WONT. Ill only need to remember how he INHERITED a SUPER BOWL CHAMPION and systematically ran them into the MESS you see today. Ahh the FOND MEMORIES...the MORONIC DRAFT PICKS...the FOOLISHLY WASTED time outs and challenges...the way the team NEVER looked like they were prepared for key games...and the CAPPER...the hiring of his good ol pal LARRY M!! Ya...lets all form a circle, sing CUMBYA and shed a tear!!

Love your conspiracy theory. It really lends to your credibility. Heres a thought...follow your HERO to whatever team he goes to! You CLEARLY have no interest in or HOPE for this team and what lays ahead for them. According to you, the EVIL DOERS in the front office have a massive plan to SABOTAGE the franchise and LOSE AT ALL COSTS. OOPS...they just JETTISONED the guy who has AIDED that cause for the last few seasons!! That kinda shoots your theory in the foot...I hate it when that happens.LOL

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan
    LMAO!! YOU may MISS him...I WONT. Ill only need to remember how he INHERITED a SUPER BOWL CHAMPION and systematically ran them into the MESS you see today. Ahh the FOND MEMORIES...the MORONIC DRAFT PICKS...the FOOLISHLY WASTED time outs and challenges...the way the team NEVER looked like they were prepared for key games...and the CAPPER...the hiring of his good ol pal LARRY M!! Ya...lets all form a circle, sing CUMBYA and shed a tear!!
    Fargo, although I have to agree in part with you (time outs, time management) I also have to remember that he didn't inherited a SB champion, he was the SB champion and he was the creator of the GSOT, and he did some awful draft picks, but he picked Kevin Curtis, the time will say, but he also picked Fitz and Alex and (somebody help me) he picked T. Holt and Orlando Pace, (he brought Turley and Marmie, thought).
    He also has a above .600 on w-l record, 4 playoff teams in 6 years. Now, I believe that the steelers have a great HC (for over 10 years now), just to set an example, but way less efficient than MM and nobody says anything about the stupid loss against the chargers (at home) on the AFC or the annually screw up against the patriots, ot the cholts (meant choke-colts) or anyother team in their division.

From my point of view he has more pros than cons, being his biggest con is his stuborness and stupid pride. Even with that I would choose him, and I thank him for one of the best (if not the best) rides in Rams History.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

He was NOT the head coach who picked HOLT or PACE...he was the guy who picked TRUNG(with Faulk in his PRIME), BELLISARI and CROUCH.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN
    he picked T. Holt and Orlando Pace
    Pace was drafted in 1997 so Martz had nothing to do with Pace. Holt was drafted in 99 but Dickie V had the power then so not sure how much input Martz had.

It will be interesting to see what happens, some people are happy Martz is gone, some aren't. He's done some great things and some horrible things. Should be interesting to see what the future holds.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

rams2061 Guest

I am so glad to see Martz gone. He should have been fired when he lost that game to Carolina in the playoffs 2 years ago.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

im glad mad mike has gone,nothing against him personally but let him mess around with somebody elses beloved team!

his draft picks drove me mad,but i could never forgive him for not doing whatever it took to keep london fletcher!!

heres hoping we get a good allround head coach who takes care of the whole team !

would have been nice to see martz stay on in the only job he ever done for us-o.c

RealRam is offline Registered User

Whomever the new HC is, I hope he puts John Shaw at the center position of the Rams OL for a few games.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram
    but i could never forgive him for not doing whatever it took to keep london fletcher!!
    Lovie Smith convinced Martz that Duncan could replace Fletcher and he would be cheaper, so you can't lay all the blame on Martz there.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE