Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Its Official: Browns Name Pat Shurmur HC, Rams on clock now for OC

Per rotoworld

The Browns have named former Rams OC Pat Shurmur their new head coach.
    Shurmur had been considered the favorite for the job all along. He runs the West Coast offense that club president Mike Holmgren will more fully implement in 2011, and he's presided over quarterbacks Sam Bradford, Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb in his time in St. Louis and in Philadelphia, where he was the quarterbacks coach for 10 years. The 45-year-old Shurmur has never been a head coach at any level.
    Bring in McD.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Its Official: Browns Name Pat Shurmur HC, Rams on clock now for OC

For those of you that don't trust rotoworld, espn made it official as well.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I wish Shurmur luck in Cleveland. That's a tough division, but I think with Holmgren, he should at least have better success than the Mangini. I also look forward to the Rams going into Cleveland and beating the Browns in the dog pound.

Lets see how long the OC decision takes. We should hear more names than just McDaniels, but it seems like he is the favorite.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Best of luck to him, hopefully he can help turn that program around. These are exciting times for us, time to see what the next chapter in Rams history brings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I wish Shurmur luck in Cleveland. That's a tough division, but I think with Holmgren, he should at least have better success than the Mangini. I also look forward to the Rams going into Cleveland and beating the Browns in the dog pound.

Lets see how long the OC decision takes. We should hear more names than just McDaniels, but it seems like he is the favorite.
    I am just wondering why you guys keep repeating McDaniel's name? I understand you guys all want him and I am not saying I am against his hiring but I have not seen one source that even mentions his name in the same sentence as the Rams.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Jason LaCanfora reported a few days ago that he heard "McDaniels to the Rams if Shurmur leaves"

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Jason La Canfora and Peter King mentioned McDaniels a couple of times. Other NFL sources like them mentioned it also. He is being repeated because he has been the only name seriously mentioned for OC. Also, I'm pretty sure McDaniels told sources like those I listed that he "loves" Bradford and was waiting for Shurmur to make his decision because he would rather be coordinator for the Rams, and not the Vikings. This doesn't mean he will be hired, but I think Spags has respect for him and will at least give him an interview.
    Also, I didn't mention whether I wanted him or not, just that he is favored at this point, minutes into the OC hiring process.

supachump is online now Registered User

McDaniels philosophy seems almost opposite of Spags. I have a hard time believing they'd bring him in as OC.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Even though I would love having McDaniels here, I will still be surprised because he really is the exact opposite of Spags. But I think the Rams could really use some balance in that area. I'd love a spirited offensive coordinator who can get creative and run the offense well.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    McDaniels philosophy seems almost opposite of Spags. I have a hard time believing they'd bring him in as OC.
    Martz's philosophy was also opposite of Vermeil's and you see what happened there.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    It's Spagnuolo's chance to disprove those control freak allegations. And also dissent is far more valuable than self-reinforcing groupthink.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The way I see it, there's two ways to go. One, you stay in system, and you either go after Childress(who interviewed at Miami for OC today), or promote from within(which could be tricky, depending on who Shurmur takes with him). I don't know of any WCO offensive geniuses that are available otherwise. Two, you go after a high scale OC that is of a different system than the WCO, and of those, seemingly the most QB friendly is the Patriot offense, and that is where we get McDaniels. If that is the route you want to go, though, I think you need to make up your mind quickly, and get playbooks into players' hands as quickly as possible.

I know that it's the offseason, and this is when players get to heal and rest their minds, but if you're going to be changing things up on Sam and the other offensive players, you need to give them as much time with the material as possible. With the labor issue looming overhead, there will almost certainly be less practice time this offseason than before, and so, to be successful right out of the gate, the players need to put it on themselves to learn the new system on their own and be ready to implement it with less practice. That is why I suggest getting playbooks to the key offensive players that are going to be back ASAP. The more time they have to digest it, the better off we'll be next year.
    I believe!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    It's Spagnuolo's chance to disprove those control freak allegations. And also dissent is far more valuable than self-reinforcing groupthink.
    Allegations? You mean the one from the ex-equipment manager?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Allegations? You mean the one from the ex-equipment manager?
    They've been drifting around in the media from more than the equipment manager. And you have to admit, it makes sense when you consider the erratic offensive playcalling this season. Because if that was Shurmur's doing, then I would like to register extreme surprise that Cleveland's appointing him their head coach.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    They've been drifting around in the media from more than the equipment manager. And you have to admit, it makes sense when you consider the erratic offensive playcalling this season. Because if that was Shurmur's doing, then I would like to register extreme surprise that Cleveland's appointing him their head coach.
    I'm not sure I could come up with a LESS reliable source than is expressed by the words "drifting around the media."

As for your attempt at a logical deduction, there is no debate that Shurmur was the primary playcaller. Nice try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast