RamWraith is offline Registered User

It's one and done for Jackson

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/25/2007

OAKLAND, Calif. Last week against San Diego, Steven Jackson was on the field for one play without touching the football before sitting out the rest of the game.

Friday in Oakland, it was more of the same for the Pro Bowl running back.

Jackson originally was announced as a pregame scratch at McAfee Coliseum for the Rams' third exhibition game normally the contest in which the first-stringers play the most. But Jackson was in the backfield for just the first play from scrimmage a 40-yard completion from Marc Bulger to Isaac Bruce.

After the play, Jackson headed for the sidelines, put on a baseball cap and was done for the night.

Coach Scott Linehan probably will rest most of his starters in Thursday's Governor's Cup game against Kansas City, so Jackson probably is done for the preseason. If so, it will be a "carry-free" exhibition season for Jackson.

His only touches in exhibition play this year came in the opener against Minnesota, when he caught two passes for 8 yards. Rookie Brian Leonard replaced Jackson against the Raiders.

Earlier in the week, Linehan said he had put a lot of thought into the issue of exhibition-game playing time or lack thereof for Jackson. Linehan doesn't want to risk an injury, and believes Jackson gets jostled enough in practice to at least get a sense of contact.

"As much as he has the ball in his hands ... my decision to hold him out is hopefully trying to be proactive and smart about it," Linehan said.

HOLT SITS, TOO

Also sitting Friday for the Rams was wide receiver Torry Holt. At the start of training camp four weeks ago, Holt described himself as "70 percent" healthy after knee surgery in the offseason.

Holt played in both previous exhibition games, and has six catches for 52 yards this preseason.

Holt took part in pregame warmups Friday, and dressed for the game. Drew Bennett replaced Holt in the lineup against Oakland.

MORE SCRATCHES

The only Rams who did not dress for Friday's game were right guard Richie Incognito (sprained ankle) and safety Jerome Carter (sprained foot).

Claude Terrell started in place of Incognito at right guard, with Milford Brown rotating in with the starting unit.

LOOKER RETURNS

After sitting out the San Diego game because of a back injury, wide receiver-holder Dane Looker returned to action against Oakland. Looker took a knee to his back two weeks ago against Minnesota, resulting in the injury.

"I have a fracture in one of the little bones that jut out from your spine down at the bottom," Looker said. "It sounds a lot worse than it is."

CONNECTIONS

The Raiders roster includes native St. Louisans James Adkisson and Jeff Otis. Adkisson, a tight end, played at Ritenour High, Kemper Military Academy (a junior college in Boonville, Mo.), and South Carolina. He appeared in three games for the Raiders last season, with one reception.

Otis, a quarterback, is a CBC product who played his college ball in the Ivy League at Columbia. Otis is the son of former Cardinals running back Jim Otis.

Another St. Louis native, Charles Coe, is wide receivers coach for Oakland. Coe had spent the previous four seasons as head coach at Alabama State, and was a member of Woody Widenhofer's University of Missouri staff from 1985-88.

RAM-BLINGS

Entering Friday's game, the Rams were 1-4 in exhibition play against Oakland since the move to St. Louis in 1995. ... The Rams last played here in the regular season in Game 14 of 2006, winning 20-0.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Re: It's one and done for Jackson

I disagree with the decision not to play Jackson at all. He is a running back that gets going as the game goes on. Similarily, I believe he is a back that gets going as the season progresses.

So I think he'll be a bit behind in getting into mid-season form.

Potential effects of not seeing any action include dropped passes, or a fumble early in the season, as well as him being tentative. No way Jackson can get the "hits" he needs in practice.

Not saying he should have played a ton, but at least the first drive vs. the Chargers, and the first 2 drives vs. the Raiders.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    I disagree with the decision not to play Jackson at all. He is a running back that gets going as the game goes on. Similarily, I believe he is a back that gets going as the season progresses.

So I think he'll be a bit behind in getting into mid-season form.

Potential effects of not seeing any action include dropped passes, or a fumble early in the season, as well as him being tentative. No way Jackson can get the "hits" he needs in practice.

Not saying he should have played a ton, but at least the first drive vs. the Chargers, and the first 2 drives vs. the Raiders.
    I think it's a good decision to sit Jackson, it's better than watching him be carried off on a cart in a meaningless preseason game. Linehan knows Jackson will get a ton of touches this year so why add to the punishment if he doesn't have to. He won't be behind in anything, he knows what it takes to get it done. So if he played in the first series like you said he would have had maybe 5 or 6 touches, that's not going to change anything. LT sits all preseason and he seems to do ok.

Besides that, it was top priority to see how Brian would do getting the bulk of the carries in a game. So it was a good decision on both counts.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Jax put a lot of miles on his treads last year... well, about 2/3rds of one, anyway. I really really think that Larry Johnson is going to break down this year after having over 400 carries last year, and we don't need Jackson to wear down early in his career by giving him preseason work. Jax knows what to expect in the first real game and sure he may be a little rusty on the first series, but I'm sure that he'll have a perfectly good game against Carolina. Besides, I think it's much better to get Leonard action against the first stringers that he'll see in the regular season while backing up Jax.