Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Aug. 12 2008
    Because Brett Favre is already taken, Manny Ramirez is busy cavorting in
    Hollywood, and well, Michael Phelps is a little preoccupied right now with that
    Olympic thing, the Rams are left with very few options in their quest to become
    a viable entertainment-sports property in this city again.

The Rams need star quality in the worst way.

They need someone to ignite a spark, to make you want to care about them, talk
    about them, to get an entire city fired up about them again.

What they need is Steven Jackson.

I saw that first preseason game against the Tennessee Titans, and it didn't
    take me long to see how bad the Rams looked without the big man in their
    offensive backfield. It just reinforced what I already believed in the first
    place: With or without Jackson, the Rams could still be no better than 6-10. If
    everything is perfect, they could get lucky and rise to 8-8.

But here's a painful truth that can't be ignored. This is a franchise in dire
    need of star quality because without Jackson, they will not only be horrible,
    they'll be frighteningly uninteresting and flirting dangerously with downright
    insignificance in a fragile sports marketplace.

Already behind the championship-rich Cardinals in passionate fan interest,
    another stinker of a season like last year's 3-13 mess could easily drop the
    Rams behind both Mizzou and Illinois football and (gasp and swoon) maybe even
    the NHL Blues for this sports-crazed city's late summer-early autumn devotion.
    The smartest people in this organization know how close they are to stepping
    even further over that fine line of lack of interest that we saw last season
    when the fans abandoned the franchise in large, troubling numbers. By midseason
    the home games became road games because visiting fans showed up in mobs of
    more than 30,000, holding onto tickets they bought from Rams fans.

That's why it's just bad business for the team to prolong this contract
    stalemate with Jackson any longer than it already has gone. So we're nearly
    three weeks into the Jackson holdout and everyone on both sides of the
    negotiating table has proved their points. General manager Jay Zygmunt has
    proven his resolve not to negotiate with a holdout, and Jackson has proven that
    he is equally stubborn because the closest he's gotten to the team's Mequon,
    Wis., training camp has been via text messages to teammates and coaches.

But enough is enough. With four weeks left before the start of the regular
    season, it's time for everyone to get rid of their stubbornness and find a way
    to get Jackson into camp and signed as quickly as possible. At what point will
    Zygmunt admit to himself that this standoff has already reached critical mass,
    and that both sides' refusal to budge is about to dramatically affect the
    won-loss column?

This is not the time or the season for making stubborn points that will hurt
    the team in the short term. After only one preseason game, haven't we seen more
    than enough to realize that the margin for error with this team is slimmer than
    an anorexic willow branch?

I never really understood why Zygmunt painted himself into such a negotiating
    corner when he said publicly that he wouldn't negotiate with Jackson as long as
    he held out. It made him sound tough, but it was decidedly impractical. This is
    a season that has too much on the line for too many people. You think Scott
    Linehan's happy that Zygmunt is digging his heels in? Linehan's job depends on
    this season.

History tells us that once the Rams do actually sit down to the negotiating
    table, they take care of their key star players. So Jackson should know that
    whenever he does show up at camp, a deal can be done rather expediently. So
    Zygmunt's only priority should be to find a way to get him into camp. Everyone
    needs to swallow a little pride. Ziggy should find a way to get Jackson to show
    up in Mequon, and Jackson needs to realize that he can do that with little
    chance of a career-ending injury.

If Jay can quietly make contact, then Jackson can show up at camp with a
    "pulled" hamstring muscle (wink, wink), which will limit him to non-contact
    drills while Zygmunt and Jackson's agent hammer out the details of a new deal.
    These little shenanigans should be enough to protect both men's egos, and if
    you believe all the glowing compliments the team president has tossed around
    since camp began, a deal could be done in days, if not hours.

The Rams need victories and star quality, and Jackson can help deliver both in
    large quantities. There's no one else in this city with both the combustible
    personality and the rare athletic talent to be that sort of larger-than-life,
    star quality, marquee figure than the "can't-live-with-him,
    can't-live-without-him" personality named Steven Jackson.

There's no ambivalence with him. You either love him or you hate him. He either
    makes your blood boil or your blood rush. Either way, though, you watch him.

From any way you look at it, that's all win-win for the Rams.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

Does anyone out there still believe that jackson will be "full speed and ready to go" come week one, even if by some miracle he reports today? Does anyone still believe that this holdout "is not a big deal" as it impacts the rams chances of success this year? First game is less than four weeks away. We shouldnt kid ourselves, our season is in serious jeopardy. He needs to get into camp immediately and there are no signs that its going to happen.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote{I saw that first preseason game against the Tennessee Titans, and it didn't
    take me long to see how bad the Rams looked without the big man in their
    offensive backfield. It just reinforced what I already believed in the first
    place: With or without Jackson, the Rams could still be no better than 6-10. If
    everything is perfect, they could get lucky and rise to 8-8.Quote

That is a D### shame we fallen this far. I love S.J. but the fact is we should be better than one player. A 53 man roster and 6-10 is where some think this team is headed. Where has the talent gone? Why did we not have s better opition backing S.J. S.J. could be hurt and out for the season and we would still need someone to back him up. I know Bryan Burwell is talking about star power but if we have depth at other position and can win games people would care and seat would not be empty on game day.
    :ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    That is a D### shame we fallen this far. I love S.J. but the fact is we should be better than one player. A 53 man roster and 6-10 is where some think this team is headed. Where has the talent gone? Why did we not have s better opition backing S.J. S.J. could be hurt and out for the season and we would still need someone to back him up. I know Bryan Burwell is talking about star power but if we have depth at other position and can win games people would care and seat would not be empty on game day.
    I don't think any of us know where the RAMS are at right now. We have talent on both sides of the ball and special teams. We probably won't know what we have until the 4th or 5th game of the regular season.

The New York Giants didn't start to gel until 2 1/2 games into last season and look what they did.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't think any of us know where the RAMS are at right now. We have talent on both sides of the ball and special teams. We probably won't know what we have until the 4th or 5th game of the regular season.

The New York Giants didn't start to gel until 2 1/2 games into last season and look what they did.
    I hope we look solid by week 4 or five or I belive this part of his article will be true {quote they will not only be horrible,
    they'll be frighteningly uninteresting and flirting dangerously with downright
    insignificance in a fragile sports marketplace.quote}. Some of St louis peolpe will abandon the Rams like the titanic just look at last season when fans sold there tickets to visiting fans.
    :ramlogo:

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Some of St louis peolpe will abandon the Rams like the titanic just look at last season when fans sold there tickets to visiting fans.
    yea those StL fans are worthless unlike those loyal Cali fans that stuck it out through thick and thin.

You know there are some real fans out in Cali that have my utmost respect. Fans that saw the Rams through all the ups and downs, and refuse to let geography stand in the way of cheering for their team. Guys like BigRedMan, laram01, r8rh8rmike, Koi, and others have earned respect from me. I salute you.

But for all you posers that have yet to come to grips with the fact that the Rams left town, DEAL WITH IT. The Rams are in St. Louis, but for the true fans like the men I just mentioned, the town doesn't matter. To ANY true fan, the town shouldn't matter.

I swear I'm so sick of the sour grapes platoon.
    Last edited by Roy G. Biv; -08-13-2008 at 10:13 AM.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

"There's no ambivalence with him. You either love him or you hate him"

Thats not true...I think he is ok
    Seriously though, if he doesnt get to camp soon I will hate him.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post

You know there are some real fans out in Cali that have my utmost respect. Fans that saw the Rams through all the ups and downs, and refuse to let geography stand in the way of cheering for their team. Guys like BigRedMan, laram01, r8rh8rmike, and others have earned respect from me. I salute you.

The Rams are in St. Louis, but for the true fans like the men I just mentioned, the town doesn't matter. To ANY true fan, the town shouldn't matter.

Hey Roy, as an ex patriot of California (not an ex-Patriot) I am proud to be included with those you list here and accept your salute!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

History tells us that once the Rams do actually sit down to the negotiating table, they take care of their key star players. So Jackson should know that whenever he does show up at camp, a deal can be done rather expediently. ...Zygmunt's only priority should be to find a way to get him into camp. Everyone needs to swallow a little pride. Ziggy should find a way to get Jackson to show up in Mequon, and Jackson needs to realize that he can do that with little chance of a career-ending injury. -- Burwell

Make it happen already!!!

BTW, what do players that are in this situation (as Jax is) do when they show up? Do they apologize to the team for time wasted while everyone else was working hard practicing at camp and trying to make the roster?

This idealistic concept of being a 'team player' really takes a serious dent by way of a holdout!

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

yea those StL fans are worthless unlike those loyal Cali fans that stuck it out through thick and thin.

You know there are some real fans out in Cali that have my utmost respect. Fans that saw the Rams through all the ups and downs, and refuse to let geography stand in the way of cheering for their team. Guys like BigRedMan, laram01, r8rh8rmike, and others have earned respect from me. I salute you.

But for all you posers that have yet to come to grips with the fact that the Rams left town, DEAL WITH IT. The Rams are in St. Louis, but for the true fans like the men I just mentioned, the town doesn't matter. To ANY true fan, the town shouldn't matter.

A-Freaking-Men!!! I have been a fan since I was 9 years old because they lost to the Bears, which made the Superbowl Shuffle happen. If that hadn't happened, I may never have gotten into the sport. So I have always felt as though I owed them my undying loyalty. I am from southwest Missouri, so when the team moved to St. Louis, I was like a 9-year-old girl who got the pony for Christmas she had been bugging her parents for!

As for Jackson, I wonder if one small part of his beef is that since Saunders' offense is kind of like Martz's, he thinks he won't get the carries he believes he should have, and that this would be what hurts him in the free agent market next offseason. Just a thought.....
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Why can the Bears work with Eugene parker and get Devin Hester signed and in camp in short order and we're still in neutral with no end in sight.

It sickens me and makes me wonder a bit about SJ's commitment to this team. I knw when he comes in and has a great game I'll love him again, but this is starting to become a serious threat to our season, which is tenuous at best.

directins to SJ & FO:
    Get your butt into camp and make him feel wanted and appreciated!!

Go Rams!

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    A-Freaking-Men!!! I have been a fan since I was 9 years old because they lost to the Bears, which made the Superbowl Shuffle happen. If that hadn't happened, I may never have gotten into the sport. So I have always felt as though I owed them my undying loyalty. I am from southwest Missouri, so when the team moved to St. Louis, I was like a 9-year-old girl who got the pony for Christmas she had been bugging her parents for!

As for Jackson, I wonder if one small part of his beef is that since Saunders' offense is kind of like Martz's, he thinks he won't get the carries he believes he should have, and that this would be what hurts him in the free agent market next offseason. Just a thought.....
    Same here. We live in Cali, but hubby is from St. Louis. As for Jackson, I have a feeling he wants to be there. Not only is he hurting the team, but he is biting his own nose off .

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Help me here, why are we attacking California again when Eldfan I think is from one of the Carolina's?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Sour grapes platoon?

Uhhh, Mr. Biv, the article was written by a St. Louisan and the message you gripe about is a clan member from the east coast. So someone makes an impolite comment about St. Louis fans and you feel justified to pick on CA fans, minus your few exceptional exceptions? No offense intended, but if anyone is sounding like sour grapes, it's you.

I take a little umbrage with your comment. I know a heck of a lot of CA fans and they're just as "fan worthy" as your mid-west fans. We live in a hell hole of fader fans and ****** fans and we still fearlessly wear the blue and gold. And it sure wasn't the fans (loyal or no) that caused the team to move... that was a plan put in motion and executed by our dear departed St. Louis native friend whom is now memorialized by a patch on the '08 jerseys. So let's not go there, please. Let's not pick on the CA fans and lump them into some sort of stereotypical category of sniveling cry babies with post partum Ram depression, and let's not worry about whether fans from St. Louis are loyal enough. Let's just support the team from our respective locations and leave the turf wars as something for the idiotic fader fans in LA and Bay area to involve themselves in.

I declare that we should salute every Rams fan of every state and nation who cares about and supports the team. Hi I'm KoaKoi, and I approved this message.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Sour grapes platoon?

Uhhh, Mr. Biv, the article was written by a St. Louisan and the message you gripe about is a clan member from the east coast. So someone makes an impolite comment about St. Louis fans and you feel justified to pick on CA fans, minus your few exceptional exceptions? No offense intended, but if anyone is sounding like sour grapes, it's you.

I take a little umbrage with your comment. I know a heck of a lot of CA fans and they're just as "fan worthy" as your mid-west fans. We live in a hell hole of fader fans and ****** fans and we still fearlessly wear the blue and gold. And it sure wasn't the fans (loyal or no) that caused the team to move... that was a plan put in motion and executed by our dear departed St. Louis native friend whom is now memorialized by a patch on the '08 jerseys. So let's not go there, please. Let's not pick on the CA fans and lump them into some sort of stereotypical category of sniveling cry babies with post partum Ram depression, and let's not worry about whether fans from St. Louis are loyal enough. Let's just support the team from our respective locations and leave the turf wars as something for the idiotic fader fans in LA and Bay area to involve themselves in.

I declare that we should salute every Rams fan of every state and nation who cares about and supports the team. Hi I'm KoaKoi, and I approved this message.
    Agreed. Real "fanhood" should have no geographical connection.

Back to the topic:
    I really, really hope that this holdout isn't going to shoot us in the foot. It all depends on how long it takes him to get back into fighting shape.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast