throwback week



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
  1. #16
    Chris58's Avatar
    Chris58 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Age
    65
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Why can the Bears work with Eugene parker and get Devin Hester signed and in camp in short order and we're still in neutral with no end in sight.

    It sickens me and makes me wonder a bit about SJ's commitment to this team. I knw when he comes in and has a great game I'll love him again, but this is starting to become a serious threat to our season, which is tenuous at best.

    directins to SJ & FO:
    Get your butt into camp and make him feel wanted and appreciated!!

    Go Rams!
    mde, I've been thinking that same thing. How is it Parker got Hester's deal done in Chicago after a one day holdout yet not a budge by SJ. Now I have a theory: If you remember there was a thread on this site about Jackson's sister Rhonda and it inferred that she is involved with this holdout. In addition the article stated that past agents have broken off with SJ and that she may have been the reason for it. My theory is that she has SJ's head more so than his agent does and he can't man up enough to tell his sister to piss off. I may be wrong, but something just doesn't seem right about this whole thing. One minute he is the team guy and going to to have a monster year and show everyone that he deserves a huge payday. The next he is a no-show holdout. I just don't think it is all on Parker. And as each day goes by, I am losing more respect for SJ because he knows what it will take to get negotiations going: show up for training camp!


  2. #17
    maineram Guest

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    If that performance Saturday night doesn't get Jackson to call his agent and tell him he's reporting to camp nothing will. Why was there a holdout when they were already negotiating ? He's under contract, was fired by his agent, picks up a new one then decides to draw his own line in the sand. I guess 7 mil a year, plus a 18 mil signing bonus was not enough to convince Jackson that he needed to stay at the table and pound the thing out. Does he want to be the highest paid player in the league ? Some conversation had to take place for Ziggy to call it off until he reports. Hmmm ...........

    Maine - A Ram fan since 1976, through thick and thin, win or lose, but never been to Cali !!

  3. #18
    YodaRam Guest

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    I ask this question: If Steven Jackson ended his hold out tomorrow, would you be convinced that the Rams would definitely WIN more games this season?




    RAM ON!

  4. #19
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,695
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Master Yoda, to me, the answer is clearly yes. Despite my concerns regarding jacksons physical condition and injury risk associated with missing this much camp, i think without him we will win 4 games at the most. We have no running game of any kind without him and our o line is already suspect. Without a running game throwing is going to be a lot tougher, especially with a suspect o line. Defensively, who knows what we have. Our schedule is brutal.

    No way to tell what happens this year, but without jackson, i dont think we have any chance in hell at winning 7 games.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  5. #20
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,871
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Does anyone out there still believe that jackson will be "full speed and ready to go" come week one, even if by some miracle he reports today? Does anyone still believe that this holdout "is not a big deal" as it impacts the rams chances of success this year? First game is less than four weeks away. We shouldnt kid ourselves, our season is in serious jeopardy. He needs to get into camp immediately and there are no signs that its going to happen.
    Is there a specific number of days where a guy has to show up so that it doesn't affect his season?

    It's all opinion at this point, and I would say he still has enough time to get up to speed and be ready for the season opener. If I had to guess, I think as long as he shows up sometime during the week before the third preseason game, he should probably be able to get up to speed in time for the opener. But what do I really know about it? What do any of us know?

    Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't mean I'm kidding myself - it's just my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Why can the Bears work with Eugene parker and get Devin Hester signed and in camp in short order and we're still in neutral with no end in sight.
    Isn't Parker also the agent for Jason Peters in Buffalo? Last I heard he hasn't reported either.

    Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    If that performance Saturday night doesn't get Jackson to call his agent and tell him he's reporting to camp nothing will. Why was there a holdout when they were already negotiating ? He's under contract, was fired by his agent, picks up a new one then decides to draw his own line in the sand. I guess 7 mil a year, plus a 18 mil signing bonus was not enough to convince Jackson that he needed to stay at the table and pound the thing out. Does he want to be the highest paid player in the league ? Some conversation had to take place for Ziggy to call it off until he reports. Hmmm ...........
    Why would that performance want to inspire him to get to camp? Right or wrong, I think it would give him more leverage because it suggests the Rams aren't strong running the ball without him.

  6. #21
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,687
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Sour grapes platoon?

    Uhhh, Mr. Biv, the article was written by a St. Louisan and the message you gripe about is a clan member from the east coast. So someone makes an impolite comment about St. Louis fans and you feel justified to pick on CA fans, minus your few exceptional exceptions? No offense intended, but if anyone is sounding like sour grapes, it's you.

    I take a little umbrage with your comment. I know a heck of a lot of CA fans and they're just as "fan worthy" as your mid-west fans. We live in a hell hole of fader fans and ****** fans and we still fearlessly wear the blue and gold. And it sure wasn't the fans (loyal or no) that caused the team to move... that was a plan put in motion and executed by our dear departed St. Louis native friend whom is now memorialized by a patch on the '08 jerseys. So let's not go there, please. Let's not pick on the CA fans and lump them into some sort of stereotypical category of sniveling cry babies with post partum Ram depression, and let's not worry about whether fans from St. Louis are loyal enough. Let's just support the team from our respective locations and leave the turf wars as something for the idiotic fader fans in LA and Bay area to involve themselves in.

    I declare that we should salute every Rams fan of every state and nation who cares about and supports the team. Hi I'm KoaKoi, and I approved this message.
    HERE HERE! stands and applauds

    I have been a Rams fan for over 40 years and have never lived in CA. I understand that the good folks in CA were given a raw deal for several years before finally losing the Rams.

    On a Personal note, I have had it with this internal fighting amongst what is supposed to be a Clan of Rams fans. I'm sick of all the accusations, by others, of not being a true Rams fan for some petty reason or opinion that one has. So and so said this about the Rams or so and so thinks that about the Rams. So and so is not a True Rams fan. Bunch of crap. Makes us all sound like whiners.



  7. #22
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,695
    Rep Power
    83

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    My point about kidding ourselves was that our season is in serious jeopardy based on the holdout. I agree that you can debate what the "last minute" report date is for him to be in camp and still be full speed come season opening, but i dont see how anyone can contend that our season isnt in serious jeopardy right now because there is no evidence that he is close to reporting anytime soon and we are very heavily dependent on a full strength jackson for any real chance we have at success this season. I think if this goes on another two weeks our season will be well beyond serious jeopardy, i think we will be a very longshot to be competitive (and boy do i hope i am wrong). In short, i dont see the rams blinking on this. They will pay more, but not before he reports.

    It would certainly be interesting to look at the historical performance of running backs that held out this long.

    As to why hester got signed, maybe its because hester was more willing to compromise than jackson? Each situation is different. The fact that they have the same agent is only one factor. Maybe Hester didnt have a sister whispering in his ear that he should stay out of camp.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -08-12-2008 at 11:39 PM.


  8. #23
    YodaRam Guest

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Master Yoda, to me, the answer is clearly yes. Despite my concerns regarding jacksons physical condition and injury risk associated with missing this much camp, i think without him we will win 4 games at the most. We have no running game of any kind without him and our o line is already suspect. Without a running game throwing is going to be a lot tougher, especially with a suspect o line. Defensively, who knows what we have. Our schedule is brutal.

    No way to tell what happens this year, but without jackson, i dont think we have any chance in hell at winning 7 games.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    "Master Yoda"? Man, that is "rich". I agree with what you're saying about Jackson having an impact on the Rams wins and loses "this year". I would say: +2 games won with a productive S.J. in "swing" games. That being said. I don't think that we will earn a play off bid this year. Too many areas of concern on both sides of the ball to call him "the key that makes the engine run".



    RAM ON!

  9. #24
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,871
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think if this goes on another two weeks our season will be well beyond serious jeopardy, i think we will be a very longshot to be competitive (and boy do i hope i am wrong).
    I guess I'm just not so sure I see the Rams' entire season being so dependent on whether or not Jackson reports this week or next or the week after. Obviously if he holds out into the season, that's going to affect the early games. But to say the season will be well beyond serious jeopardy... I dunno. Maybe it will be tough to be competitive in the first game or so, but I have a hard time believing that would linger into the next four months of football. I think if this team finds itself in serious jeopardy this year, it will be because of more serious and long-lasting events than when Jackson decides to report.

  10. #25
    Chris58's Avatar
    Chris58 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Age
    65
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I guess I'm just not so sure I see the Rams' entire season being so dependent on whether or not Jackson reports this week or next or the week after. Obviously if he holds out into the season, that's going to affect the early games. But to say the season will be well beyond serious jeopardy... I dunno. Maybe it will be tough to be competitive in the first game or so, but I have a hard time believing that would linger into the next four months of football. I think if this team finds itself in serious jeopardy this year, it will be because of more serious and long-lasting events than when Jackson decides to report.
    I agree with you Nick. But I'd be willing to take one more step. I think the Rams could win without SJ. We all say that football is a team game. Not one player alone can win games. Therefore, if our D is good and our special teams are good and the O-line is good, then even a so-so NFL RB could make four yards at a time. The last time I checked, a four yard average per carry seemed to be the standard for a successful running game. It might be boring, but we could field a winning team. I think this over emphasis on SJ's presence by us fans (yes by the organization too. See marketing) takes away from the team concept. Let's face it, if the O-line sucks, it doesn't matter who is carrying the ball, SJ or me. The results will be similar.

  11. #26
    Roy G. Biv's Avatar
    Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Modern Day Dead Ráibéad
    Age
    41
    Posts
    251
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Sour grapes platoon?

    Uhhh, Mr. Biv, the article was written by a St. Louisan and the message you gripe about is a clan member from the east coast. So someone makes an impolite comment about St. Louis fans and you feel justified to pick on CA fans, minus your few exceptional exceptions? No offense intended, but if anyone is sounding like sour grapes, it's you.
    ...
    I declare that we should salute every Rams fan of every state and nation who cares about and supports the team. Hi I'm KoaKoi, and I approved this message.
    Uhh, Mr. Koi, how about you actually read what I wrote. My problem is with those fans (and don't deny their existence) from the west coast who are still mad about losing the team to fly-over country and take every opportunity to stick their thumb in the eye of St. Louis. If that description doesn't fit you, then I wasn't talking to you. Will it make you feel better if I add your name to the list? I'll be happy to.

    I'm not picking on the Cali fans. A large portion of my post was even devoted to bragging on Cali fans. I'm picking on Cali fans that take out their disappointments on St. Louis.

    Do you not realize we are making the same argument? That being that geography SHOULD NOT MATTER?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

  12. #27
    moloch41 Guest

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Help me here, why are we attacking California again when Eldfan I think is from one of the Carolina's?
    It's the next Civil War- minus Abe Lincoln and those funny hats the confederates wore...

  13. #28
    MOM's Avatar
    MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Age
    38
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Uhh, Mr. Koi, how about you actually read what I wrote. My problem is with those fans (and don't deny their existence) from the west coast who are still mad about losing the team to fly-over country and take every opportunity to stick their thumb in the eye of St. Louis. If that description doesn't fit you, then I wasn't talking to you. Will it make you feel better if I add your name to the list? I'll be happy to.

    I'm not picking on the Cali fans. A large portion of my post was even devoted to bragging on Cali fans. I'm picking on Cali fans that take out their disappointments on St. Louis.

    Do you not realize we are making the same argument? That being that geography SHOULD NOT MATTER?
    Why do I have that lonesome feeling associated with being the only one who got it?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

  14. #29
    KoaKoi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    911
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Uhh, Mr. Koi, how about you actually read what I wrote. My problem is with those fans (and don't deny their existence) from the west coast who are still mad about losing the team to fly-over country and take every opportunity to stick their thumb in the eye of St. Louis. If that description doesn't fit you, then I wasn't talking to you. Will it make you feel better if I add your name to the list? I'll be happy to.

    I'm not picking on the Cali fans. A large portion of my post was even devoted to bragging on Cali fans. I'm picking on Cali fans that take out their disappointments on St. Louis.

    Do you not realize we are making the same argument? That being that geography SHOULD NOT MATTER?


    alert. Those not interested may scroll to next post...

    So there's this list you've started for good CA fans, and invariably that lumps "other CA" fans into your self created stereotype. That's exactly the problem. I don't care to be on "your list" because the very existence of your list is what truly bothers me. And no, I disagree that there's a large contingent of CA fans that try to "stick it" to the fans in St. Louis. That's over-sensitized hype. I think you've been listening to the very few haters out there too much and have unfairly used their infantile posts as a way to lay blame in a generalized fashion onto all CA fans.

    Rest assured, I understand the point you were making. And we share a dislike towards those who would put other fans down, but don't you realize your post merely exacerbates the problem by pointing out a select group of fans as the problem? My post was merely critical of the way you made your point and the unfair way it portrayed fans who happen to live elsewhere from you. that's all.

    I have read your post quite throughly actually and it still bothers me that your post identifies by location who the short sighted fans are. Why do they have to be CA fans minus your exceptions as the ones doing the complaining? I do believe we have the same general idea as to the uselessness of fans who can't come to emotional grips with the 1995 move, but I completely disagree that the problem lies solely upon "CA fans" or "West Coast fans." To lump anyone in a stereotypical fashion is insensitive, and only acts to create animosity. I don't want to see something like that happen among Rams fans.

    We very clearly differ in opinion regarding geography. I ignore it. You, on the other hand, have used it to identify and promulgate some sort of phantom rift within the fan base. I say we don't need to go there and that we should simply salute EVERY Rams fan.

  15. #30
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,387
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: It's past time to get Jackson in Rams camp

    I have to also agree that the Rams season is already in serious jeopardy without Jackson in camp, and in football shape. The Rams are not a strong enough team, nor are they a team deep in talent. Add to that, they have an incredibly difficult start to the schedule. I don't know if he can get himself into playing shape in a week's time, and we need him ready in week 1.

    The way I see it. If the Rams have any hope of being competitive, they'll need to "steal" a few games against teams they probably shouldn't beat, which are mostly early in the season. To do that, they'll need someone to break off a long run, grind out a win on the ground, or something of that nature. I can see Jackson doing that, I can't see any of our backups doing the same. If the Rams fail to move the ball successfully on the ground, they'll be forced to throw too often. ...and we all know where that will take us. This team can be a .500 ballclub with Jackson at full strength, without him, I see us repeating last year's debacle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live, Jan 4th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-05-2008, 09:34 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Live: 12/11/07
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-11-2007, 07:59 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, October 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
  5. Chat with Rams' RB Steven Jackson
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -10-20-2006, 08:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •