Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

Its too quiet on the board....

We are in a lull and need to be reinvigorated. Nick, i see you are out there on line. Please think of something brilliant to discuss, we need action. I was on the redskins board two nights ago at 1am eastern asking questions about holsey and i got ten responses. There were 18 people active at 1am!

I am so starved for rams discussion i am ready to go into depth on the back up linebacker competition or turner vs. eby.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Its too quiet on the board....

Alright, how about this...

What are the long-term plans for Leonard Little? Let's assume for the moment that Little is found guilty during his trial next year. I'm assuming that a conviction of that sort would void his contract? If it doesn't, do the Rams take a hit to the cap because of accelerated dead money?

Furthermore, what's the plan for the team? Hargrove looks promising and after one season might be able to step in without a huge drop off in pass rushing talent, but that's just a guess at this point. Bryce Fisher will be an UFA and could test the market. For as many questions as we have at DE this season, we may have many more next year.

Are there any worthwhile defensive ends coming out for next season's draft that fans might want to consider looking at early in this college football season? If so, do the Rams -- assuming they have no worse than a #12 to 14 pick -- have a legit shot at one of the top young defensive ends?

Also, an unrelated note, are we supposed to believe that in a year or two, if Bulger doesn't develop well, that Jeff Smoker has a legit chance to claim the starting role? Or will the Rams be surfing the free agent market for their starting QB ala Trent Green? Does Smoker have what it takes to eventually be a starter in this league under a coach like Mike Martz?

I'll try to think of some more debatable topics.

general counsel Guest

Thanks for the food for thought nick. In no particular order,

1) If leonard little is convicted, i believe that he will be waived. I am not 100% sure of the cap implications, i will check into it. If its a felony conviction, i believe we have the right to void the contract, but i am not sure if we take the hit on the "unused" portion of the bonus.

2) Any post bulger discussion starts with smoker and as a massive long shot, the kid that is currently the 4th stringer and may make the practice squad. As long as martz is in charge, i think it would be tough to bring in a free agent to run the team as the starter, given the complexities of the offense, assuming of course that captain kurt is gone for good. i think smoker will get a legitimate shot to develop into a future option for us, but that really only means we will see how he does in practice and how he seems to absorb the offense. I dont think we will see him on the field in any meaningful game action for quite a while and certainly not this year. I think martz has shown the capacity to bring qb's along. The trent green acquisition was a bit different since martz had worked with him in washington.

3) Long term plan at defensive end. I think the pick of hargrove was made independent of the little situation, ie we knew we needed long term help at that spot. If little is gone in a year, i have no idea what we would do and i guess it depends in large part on the development of hargrove, whether fisher/flowers etal step us, how much cap money we have etc (including whether pace has been signed to free up money). If little is waived, i think it will be done for what basically amounts to "community reasons" and i think we would have to assume that it just wouldnt be feasible to assume that we could actually replace his skills, and certainly not for anywhere near his current cap number. I dont know enough to evaluate what is out there on the college side.

I would certainly hope that we do not have a pick in the 12-14 range in the 2005 draft since that reeks of a potential 8-8, 9-7 type season and i am hoping we do an awful lot better than that. of course, we could always trade up.

Thanks again for starting the thread. I think the little topic is likely to provoke spirited discussion if anyone is in the mood, keeping in mind that the purpose of the thread is NOT to suggest any course of action until he has his day in court, ie he is innocent until proven guilty.

ramming speed to all

SIGN THE BIG MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Did you guys hear about Kurt Warner? What a catasrophe!

There have been rumblings, or at least I have heard rumors from other sources, that Damione Lewis might make a move to the outside. I wonder how legitimate that is in terms of whether or not it's being considered if our current options at end don't pan out?

general counsel Guest

Nick, i have read that as well. Many of us have agreed to this is the make or break year for dlew. If kennedy actually develops as we hope, he and pickett could make a nice matched set of run stuffers with lewis free to move outside. To this point, while i appreciate that he has been hurt, lewis hasnt done all that much, but if kollar thinks he can contribute as a speed rusher, i am all for giving it a shot. Lewis carries a 1.84 cap number for 2004, pretty steep given his prior contributions or lack thereof, and i would be interested in his contract status and what the numbers look like for the future and the cap implications of cutting him at the end of this year if he doesnt improve.

By the way, as an aside, I picked up a very nice Bill Kollar rookie card today (the 1976 bengals pepsi disc). He has a full head of hair and looks a lot less mean than he does today!

ramming speed to all

SIGN THE BIG MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Does green ketchup taste different?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Does green ketchup taste different?
    I've been too scared to try it. :rolleyes:

general counsel Guest

I dont think so jake, i think its just the coloring. Are you suggesting that green ketchup comes from either green or pickled tomatoes?

Sign the Big Man

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I've been too scared to try it. :rolleyes:
    Same here. That's why I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    I dont think so jake, i think its just the coloring. Are you suggesting that green ketchup comes from either green or pickled tomatoes?

Sign the Big Man

general counsel
    What color would ketchup be if they didn't add any coloring? What are they hiding?!?!? :confused:

general counsel Guest

Same could be said for a reasonable percentage of things that we eat that are processed. What is the natural color of a twinkie? What is the natural color of a ted drews custard? The main ingredients in ketchup are tomatoes and sugar so i would hope that if they use ripe tomatoes, the natural color is red, but food dye is an amazing thing.

Ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    We are in a lull and need to be reinvigorated. Nick, i see you are out there on line. Please think of something brilliant to discuss, we need action. I was on the redskins board two nights ago at 1am eastern asking questions about holsey and i got ten responses. There were 18 people active at 1am!
    I check out the Redskins site from time to time and they have a lot more people on the board and talking. I wonder why that is? Are there more Redskin fans than Ram fans? Did the move from LA to St Louis disrupt the fan base?

It's funny...they have a waving redskin flag, just like my ol rams flag over there and someone has a LosLoneyBoys picture as part of their signature. It feels like they are trying to lure me on to their site. Yes I know, "It's all about me". I am very self centered.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Los Lonely Boys

See, I told you Utter. Great band.

As for Little, it's in the courts hands. D Lew to the outside dosen't make sense to me. Not enough speed.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Los Lonely Boys

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    See, I told you Utter. Great band.

As for Little, it's in the courts hands. D Lew to the outside dosen't make sense to me. Not enough speed.
    I agree with Tx. On the outside, D Lew could be very handy at run-stuffing off tackle and outside tackle, but IMO he won't be effective at the pass rush. He has good wheels for a DT, but poor wheels for a DE.

And for the QB talk...in 2 or 3 years, I predict a replay (albeit to a lesser scale) of the Great QB debate. As Smoker matures, he is only going to get better. Physically, he has better tools than Bulger. Bulger knows the offense and has more experience, but this might heat up down the road.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast