Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    btimsah Guest

I've REALLY LOST HOPE For Our Rams.

I have little confidence that anything can be salvaged for next season.

Which really, really, really sucks.

You have to understand that I payed for the NFL Sunday Ticket HD Package to watch the slowest show on turf. I was a little miffed. We went out and got Drew Bennett and McMichael but they rarely threw to them? The Rams still think Fakir Brown (And perhaps Tye Hill) are starting NFL corner's? Why do the skill players look so lost in this offense?

Many people thought I was crazy when I kept complaining about his play calling after his first season. They would always hearken back to a time when we won the last couple of games of his first season saying the offense was pimpin', so just give em' another season.

Scott Linehan is, unfortunately, the worst coach in the NFL. He has no redeemable value. He brings no benefit to the table. It comes down to a couple of things. In 2007 his biggest failure was his inability to see this team's weaknesses. He'd always say that he'd work to fix it, meanwhile claiming there were no problems. He never saw the problems, so he could not fix anything. I know the Injuries played a role, but those were just side issues. Even if everyone was healthy we might have been looking at 8-8 again at best.

How is that gonna change in 2008? The only thing we can hope for is that we get a real offensive coordinator. Pray that Washington lets Al Saunders go. Go after him and pray he knows little about Linehan and what transpired here. His scheme would be perfect for the kind of talent we have. (Except for Bulgers lack of arm, but let's not go there).

Another BIG problem seems to be when I look at this Rams defense on paper. We have one of, if not the worst rated secondary in the game. Otogwe is the only guy improving to a point to where teams actually worry about him. Everyone else - nothing special. We need to dramatically rebuild the defense and in particular the secondary. Get more physical veterans along with big time rookies. It should be our priority. Maybe draft almost all defense?

We've been fooled into thinking our defense is "almost there" just like the sunshine pumpers thought our offense was almost there after Linehan's first season. Neither are. We fell apart late in games because of our defense as much as our offense. The defense could not get stops or make big plays against top tier teams because most of those top teams had WR's which embarrassed our horrible DB's.

That's the sad truth.

So all I can hope for is that there is someone who sees the real deficiencies of this team. Someone out there who can turn it around because at this point I just doubt they will.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Re: I've REALLY LOST HOPE For Our Rams.

No reason to lose hope now, a new beginning is on the horizon. Here's my take on your post.

[quote=btimsah;209561]I have little confidence that anything can be salvaged for next season.

Which really, really, really sucks.

You have to understand that I payed for the NFL Sunday Ticket HD Package to watch the slowest show on turf. I was a little miffed. We went out and got Drew Bennett and McMichael but they rarely threw to them? The Rams still think Fakir Brown (And perhaps Tye Hill) are starting NFL corner's? Why do the skill players look so lost in this offense?

Brown is adequate, while I think Hill will turn into a very good CB. They just look bad because of our lousy D-line. When a QB is able to stand and pick his targets, corners look bad. Fix the D-line, and suddenly, our corners will get better in a hurry. I think Bennett was a bad pick-up, and I would rather have kept Curtis. Sorrry about the NFL Sunday ticket though...

Many people thought I was crazy when I kept complaining about his play calling after his first season. They would always hearken back to a time when we won the last couple of games of his first season saying the offense was pimpin', so just give em' another season.

Nothing wrong with Linehan's playcalling. It was fine in 2006 when Bulger and Jackson had career years, and it will be fine again, when the line is healthy. (provided we get a good OC) I've never been in favor of the HC calling plays. Leave that to the OC. In 2007, it was "chuck and duck". ...and you must realize, when things don't go well, it's always the playcalling.

Scott Linehan is, unfortunately, the worst coach in the NFL. He has no redeemable value. He brings no benefit to the table. It comes down to a couple of things. In 2007 his biggest failure was his inability to see this team's weaknesses. He'd always say that he'd work to fix it, meanwhile claiming there were no problems. He never saw the problems, so he could not fix anything. I know the Injuries played a role, but those were just side issues. Even if everyone was healthy we might have been looking at 8-8 again at best.

Again, Linehan is not the worst HC in football. Hard to fix a team with 12 guys on IR. He IS learning, and he does make mistakes, but then, Martz was the king of game-time screwups and some fans loved him. His response after games his final two years, when we began to slid was; "yeah, we're aware of the problem and we'll get it fixed". Guess what? He never did. However, if Linehan doesn't get to .500 or better next season, he should be gone. Remember, the Ram team he inherited was 8-8 and 6-10 the two previous seasons. Don't be fooled into thinking he screwed this thing up. It was already screwed up.

How is that gonna change in 2008? The only thing we can hope for is that we get a real offensive coordinator. Pray that Washington lets Al Saunders go. Go after him and pray he knows little about Linehan and what transpired here. His scheme would be perfect for the kind of talent we have. (Except for Bulgers lack of arm, but let's not go there).

Agree with this, but with the team ownership (and FO?) in question, it'll be hard to get quality people in here. I don't agree with your thought that Bulger has a "lack of arm". His biggest problem has been; "lack of time to throw". Give him time to read and set, and he can get it down there.

Another BIG problem seems to be when I look at this Rams defense on paper. We have one of, if not the worst rated secondary in the game. Otogwe is the only guy improving to a point to where teams actually worry about him. Everyone else - nothing special. We need to dramatically rebuild the defense and in particular the secondary. Get more physical veterans along with big time rookies. It should be our priority. Maybe draft almost all defense?

Again, fix the D-line and you'll fix most of the problems in the backfield. You give the opposing QB time to read and throw, and your DBs and safeties can look real bad.

We've been fooled into thinking our defense is "almost there" just like the sunshine pumpers thought our offense was almost there after Linehan's first season. Neither are. We fell apart late in games because of our defense as much as our offense. The defense could not get stops or make big plays against top tier teams because most of those top teams had WR's which embarrassed our horrible DB's.

Agree that our defense is far from "almost there". Because I'm not sold on Haslett's D. But again, it has been crap from quite some time. We just need to get to "average" to be competitive next year.

That's the sad truth.

So all I can hope for is that there is someone who sees the real deficiencies of this team. Someone out there who can turn it around because at this point I just doubt they will.

It won't be easy, and it won't be quick. This team needs some major work to be a serious playoff contender. I still believe that a good team is built through the draft, and that takes time. FA's can fill some holes, but they're usually expensive and in the twilight of their careers when you can acquire them. If you hit on two good FA's in a year, you've done good. The next offseason will be huge in the Ram's turnaround.[/quote]

Hang in there. It won't be easy, and it won't happen overnight. But I think you'll enjoy your NFL ticket much, much more next year.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

btimsah Guest

I think you give Linehan way too much credit. He's made this team worse.

It's incredibly unfortunate we had all the injuries. Not because it ruined our season, but because those injuries will be used to further destroy this team by keeping Linehan around another useless final season. By then, the damage will be complete and we'll officially be in a rebuilding phase as our skill players look to leave.

I'm not giving him anymore free passes. I'm not making anymore excuses for Linehan. I know you couldn't tell it from the article but I thought we might have a really good offense this past year. Boy, what a crock.

Good coaches get his/her team to respond to adversity. Linehan is so bad that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed. Can't have any injuries. You can't miss one single block on offense or the entire run fails and he will just keep running it.

In my opinion he's the worst NFL coach I have ever seen and one more year of it sickens me.

Oh and as for the front office. I really think their why this organization has become losers so quick. Linehan represents their abject failure, and the fact that were just keeping him around even longer makes it scary to think just how hollow that empty dome will sound next year.

Mark it down, nother' losing season. All you can hope for (I guess) is that we don't encounter any major injuries and even then would it be another 8-8? I guess I make the mistake of demanding excellence.
    Last edited by btimsah; -01-24-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Ah, don't be silly. Linehan isn't the worst coach in football. Imagine where we'd be if Marmie had taken over as head coach! It's too early in the off-season to lose hope completely. Let's see what happens. Things don't look too good now, but if nothing else the NFL can be unpredictable. Who thought the Browns would play as well as they did last season? Or the Saints with their new head coach the season before? Sometimes just when you think a team is down and out, they come out and surprise you.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

btimsah,

I believe you could use some Kool-Aid!?!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Buck up little camper....things aren't really that bad.

The Rams have an opportunity in this offseason to get young and hungry. With the second pick in the draft, comes early picks not just in round 1, but 2 and 3 and so on. From my extremely limited draft knowledge, a top round 2 guy is basically a late first rounder. This is what the Rams need, so turn that frown upside down.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Agreed TX.

One thing's for sure...I doubt ANYONE'S going into next season with the same expectations as (most of us) had last year.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I think you give Linehan way too much credit. He's made this team worse.

It's incredibly unfortunate we had all the injuries. Not because it ruined our season, but because those injuries will be used to further destroy this team by keeping Linehan around another useless final season. By then, the damage will be complete and we'll officially be in a rebuilding phase as our skill players look to leave.

I'm not giving him anymore free passes. I'm not making anymore excuses for Linehan. I know you couldn't tell it from the article but I thought we might have a really good offense this past year. Boy, what a crock.

Good coaches get his/her team to respond to adversity. Linehan is so bad that everything has to be perfect for him to succeed. Can't have any injuries. You can't miss one single block on offense or the entire run fails and he will just keep running it.

In my opinion he's the worst NFL coach I have ever seen and one more year of it sickens me.

Oh and as for the front office. I really think their why this organization has become losers so quick. Linehan represents their abject failure, and the fact that were just keeping him around even longer makes it scary to think just how hollow that empty dome will sound next year.

Mark it down, nother' losing season. All you can hope for (I guess) is that we don't encounter any major injuries and even then would it be another 8-8? I guess I make the mistake of demanding excellence.
    I disagree. Linehan didn't make this team worse. He turned a 6-10 team into an 8-8 team in his first year. Not exactly a cinderella story, I know, but nonetheless, it was an improvement. Don't make the mistake of thinking this was the GSOT team he inherited. It was not. It was a team with aging veterans at WR, a RB that has had one healthy year and no depth on the O-line, horrible special teams and no defense to speak of at all. He was handed the keys to a broken down Chevy, and some think he should have driven out the first year in a Porshe. The team that won just 14 game in the previous two years was already in need of a pretty significant overhaul.

Then came the 2007 season. Like it or not, acknowledge it or not, no Ram team that I have ever followed suffered the amount of key injuries that the 2007 Rams did. ...and a team already thin at most positions had NO chance of being successful last year when the injuries started piling up. Yes, I also believed the '07 Ram offense could have been one of the better offenses in the league before the season started. If everyone stayed healthy like they had in the four previous winning seasons. But they did not.

To say Linehan needs things to be perfect is ridiculous. Losing your QB, RB, various WR's, CB's, DT's, and 60% of your starting offensive line for parts, or all of your season is a fact you cannot overlook. There's adverity, then there's impossibility.

But I will say this, I will not give Linehan, nor Haslett, a pass next season if the team stays healthy and we have another season like this. There is enough talent on this team, if they're all there next year, to have a winning season. I don't believe we'll be anywhere close to being a contender for a NFC Championship though. But then, when Green went down in '99, I thought we were looking at a long season and boy did I miss that.

It's okay to demand excellence, but this is the St. Louis Rams we're talking about. Since the move to St. Louis, they've had all of four winning seasons. Just four. How sad is that?

Let's all hope, as die-hard Ram fanatics, that Linehan and his staff do a great job in the offseason, Pace, Little and all the other ailing players get back to full strength, the front office gets a major overhaul (for the better) and better things are to come.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

Let's all hope, as die-hard Ram fanatics, that Linehan and his staff do a great job in the offseason, Pace, Little and all the other ailing players get back to full strength, the front office gets a major overhaul (for the better) and better things are to come.
    That's the elephant in the room. What is Chip going to do before the draft? There could already be a plan in place as Georgia's passing certainly came as no surprise to those on the "inside". What exactly is Chip's relationship with J.S. and J.Z? Chip's relationship with all three is something of a mystery, and yes, he has to appreciate Shaw's loyalty and service to Georgia. However, the fact that he has devoted himself to another career in California should provide him with a certain degree of objectivity when assessing the Rams as an organization. I also would think he has a good relationship with Stan K. One could logically assume that they have already had discussions regarding the state of the Rams due to their knowledge that Georgia was terminally ill for some time. Shaw I believe, at least from what little info I've read appears ready to move on .. he doesn't even live in St Louis. He'll probably stay on long enough to help with whatever transition takes place, but that's it. Ziggy, however, is the wildcard in this deal IMO. Nothing has been said about Jay wanting to retire, in fact quite the opposite, I don't remember which guy from the PD it was, but in the same article mentioning that Shaw would be moving on, Jay was thought to be attempting to further solidify his power. Given his history with the Rams, this hardly seems a stretch.

Another mystery is how Stan K views both Shaw and Ziggy, not personally, but as capable caretakers of the Rams. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that the good ship Rams is dangerously low in the water, due to its abundance of leaks. Stan is widely viewed as a "good" owner from everything I have read concerning his ownership of NHL and MLB teams. Skipping over whether or not he'll find a way to become a majority owner for the moment, he still owns 40% of the Rams, and therefore has some juice when it comes to crucial decisions concerning the Rams future. If as has been written, that Chip wants to do right by the people of St Louis, I would think he would seek Stan's counsel and listen closely. Remember, Stan owns a big portion of the Rams, and JZ owns 0%. Tough times call for tough decisions, and regardless of whatever Jay's perceived services performed for Georgia amounted to over the years, it is still a "what have you done for me lately" business. If Stan thinks JZ is the guy to right the ship, then we are in deep trouble, but I doubt very much he sees it that way. Between Stan and Chip, look for them to ease out JZ over the course of the 2008 season. Shaw will likely leave of his own volition.

Sadly it appears that the 2008 season will be a another tough one for us fans. I hope desperately that my hunch is wrong, but another difficult year seems the probable scenario -- at least from the perspective of this disgruntled fan ..

PHAT-MONEY Guest

it's easy to support the rams when we go 13-3 14-2 and 12-4, but can you support the rams in the down year... thats what you should ask yourself.. just wait untill the patriots get old, their fans will probably start to leave too, that is called BANDWAGON. just sit back and wait my friend, the good days will be back soon.

Well, I'm not a bandwagon fan or a pollyanna. I think fans can still be fans and be critical. I don't think there is anything wrong about constructively critiquing your team. Or even be emotionally upset about them. Let's face it, when they win we may be too emotionally happy so what's wrong about being too emotionally distraught? Sometimes, it's just good to look back and say ok it's over, now how do we get better?

PHAT-MONEY Guest

just out of curiosity, how many fans do you think we had in 1999?, and how many do you think we have now?

I hope we have more than we did in 1999...but it's realistically impossible to formulate an answer

PHAT-MONEY Guest

i think we may have, but all of these people now days that swap teams it is hard to even guess. the Ed can hold 65,000 people, so i would say atleast 70,000 people.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It will be better next season. We lacked a line on both sides of the ball. Once we figure things out, we'll be a team that competes instead of participates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-24-2008, 03:37 AM