Thread: Ivy

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Ivy

How good is this kid??

Anyone notice who the leading tackler was last week? This coming from a kid that only played 3/4 of the game.

Maybe he should be given a bigger role?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Ivy

He earned a starting spot in my book.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

HuBison, who do you want to sit if you want ivy to be a starter?

He reminds me of pat fischer.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    HuBison, who do you want to sit if you want ivy to be a starter?

He reminds me of pat fischer.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I'm going to take heat for this, but right now I'd sit Fisher. Between him, Ivy, and Groce, IMHO Fisher has put up the 3rd best performance. Now, the view from the coaches box may be different than my couch, so fortunately I'm not making that decision.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Honestly, Ivy has played well in the role he's in. I'm not sure that means we should change his role. I think he's a situational role player that's doing well in that role.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm going to take heat for this, but right now I'd sit Fisher. Between him, Ivy, and Groce, IMHO Fisher has put up the 3rd best performance. Now, the view from the coaches box may be different than my couch, so fortunately I'm not making that decision.
    Can't say I agree with this, at all! Ivy's the nickelback so he has the easiest job of the three corners. He covers the 3rd best WR, and stays closer to the line of scrimmage than the other two, so he will probably get more tackles.

He's performing excellently in that role but he proved in the preseason that he can't play an outside corner position after getting burned by a KC receiver who didn't even make the squad.

I was thinking safety myself. The kid has a nose for the ball and always seems around it. He can cover. Not sure what it would hurt.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Not sure what it would hurt.
    You like the idea of a 5'9" corner trying to transition to safety?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Ivy has proved to be a real find. If he, along with Fisher and Groce, can stay healthy, the Rams should be okay at CB. Not great, mind you, but given the prospects when Butler went down, okay isn't too bad.

general counsel is offline Registered User

To quote/paraphrase the immortal words of Granny Bison, when it comes to the secondary, ITS ALL ABOUT THE PASS RUSH!!!!!!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Can't say I agree with this, at all! Ivy's the nickelback so he has the easiest job of the three corners. He covers the 3rd best WR, and stays closer to the line of scrimmage than the other two, so he will probably get more tackles.

He's performing excellently in that role but he proved in the preseason that he can't play an outside corner position after getting burned by a KC receiver who didn't even make the squad.
    He may have spent time in nickel, but Fisher and Groce both missed plays with injury and Ivy stepped in at that point. Like I said, it's a good thing I don't make these decisions, because I would be tempted to have Ivy on the field even in base defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    To quote/paraphrase the immortal words of Granny Bison, when it comes to the secondary, ITS ALL ABOUT THE PASS RUSH!!!!!!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That ol' lady does have a solid grasp of the defensive game.

If the front 4 generates pressure w/o blitzing, our 4 man secondary jumps up to 7. No QB can pass through 7 defenders with linemen in his face. I love the blitz, but if this D-line can disrupt on their own, we're in a good place.

viper is online now Registered User

Ivy has definitely played well. I like seeing him on the field also. He seems to have good instincts, is around the ball alot, as RamWraith mentioned, and has put on some good hits. He's a keeper!

SO, what you are saying is that you have to be a certain height to play the position. hummmm...I remember a they thought that about a certain linebacker that we all miss sorely.

I don't care if the kid is four foot. If he can hit, has heart, a nose for the ball and a leader he would have room on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    You like the idea of a 5'9" corner trying to transition to safety?

P.S.
    I think Rich Cody was 6' 1". Let me tell you, if it wasn't for his height he would have been a damn good player. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    SO, what you are saying is that you have to be a certain height to play the position. hummmm...I remember a they thought that about a certain linebacker that we all miss sorely.

I don't care if the kid is four foot. If he can hit, has heart, a nose for the ball and a leader he would have room on my team.