MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A.J. Feeley holds Rams No. 1 QB spot for now ..

BY JIM THOMAS Friday, August 6, 2010 12:10 am

"Just like I stated all spring, if we played today I'm sticking with it if we played today, A.J. would be the guy. Maybe I should put that on tape."

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has been so unwavering in that answer that he hasn't even been asked about it since the start of training camp last week.

But in the grand scheme of things, A.J. Feeley knows he's merely keeping the seat warm at quarterback. A 10-year veteran of the NFL who is well-schooled in the West Coast scheme, Feeley can be a valuable mentor for No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford.

Then again, Feeley wants to play. He doesn't want to help Bradford too much, does he?

"I want to help him out as much as he wants to be helped out," Feeley said. "But everybody wants to play. If you don't want to play, you shouldn't be in this position. It's what you do."

But Feeley is quick to add: "The nature of playing quarterback is you help each other out in the meeting room. Those guys that don't have good meeting rooms, where the guys don't get along, that's where bad things happen. But we have a great group."

Feeley, 33, is surrounded by two rookies Bradford and Thaddeus Lewis and second-year man Keith Null in the meeting room at Rams Park. That's a lot of inexperience.

"My mind-set going into this thing is to get this team ready to play," Feeley said. "And offensively, it's to go in there and be the guy and run with it. But in the meeting room and outside of that, I'm there to help those guys out as much as possible."

That mind-set explains in part why the Rams signed Feeley to a two-year, $6 million free-agent contract in March. They feel he's someone capable of starting a few games if need be until Bradford is deemed ready. But his knowledge of the offense and the coaches should help Bradford get ready.

"Feeley's being something like a big brother to Sam is the best way I can put it," rookie wide receiver Mardy Gilyard said. "He's the leader of the bunch. He's the No. 1 guy. He knows his checks. He's confident in his throws. He's telling our receivers exactly where he's going to put the ball and how we should run our routes.

"And Sam, he has a lot to learn. That's why I'm glad that we have A.J. here so Sam can be able to cling on his leg in a sense and learn everything he can learn."

During the summer break from mid-June to reporting day last week, Feeley worked at home in San Diego with noted quarterback trainer Todd Durkin.

"He works out a bunch of quarterbacks Drew (Brees), Aaron Rodgers, all those guys," Feeley said.

Feeley trained in the morning with Durkin, and then again in the afternoon. It was his own pre-camp version of two-a-days, but with one big difference. Even in July, the high temperature in San Diego might be only in the 70s, or even high 60s.

So when Feeley stepped off the plane last week in St. Louis for the start of camp, it was like walking into a blast furnace.

"It's been an adjustment the humidity," Feeley said. "For a quarterback, you're dealing with some wet balls at times from centers, you know they sweat, perspire so much. But for the most part, I think it's going to make us a better team. You persevere through this.

"Mental toughness. Mental edge. You fight through stuff like this."

After a slow start in camp, the offense is starting to look better. Be it Feeley or Bradford, or even the other quarterbacks, the timing is improving in the passing game.

"I think we're progressing as a unit," Feeley said. "We're moving the ball. We're making plays. We're learning as we go, finding a lot out about our guys."

Feeley says there are a lot of hungry players young players who are wanting to learn, are eager to get playing time, and eager to win.

"Being an older guy, it's exciting," Feeley said. "You want guys who are willing to do anything for you. If everybody has that mentality and approach, that's when you really jell as a team."

Even though he knows the system and has been in the league a decade, Feeley hasn't thrown a regular-season pass since 2007. So he's had some inconsistent moments himself on the practice field one week into camp.

The offense isn't much different from Philly's, but the former Eagle says the emphasis is different.

"Things start here with the run game," Feeley said. "Whereas you could make a case in Philadelphia that it more or less started with the passing game. So as a quarterback here, having a guy like Steven Jackson makes your job a lot easier."

Be it Feeley's job or, inevitably, Bradford's.

"Sam's got all the intangibles," Feeley said. "He's charismatic, which you need to be for a quarterback. You've got to have a hunger for the game, too. You can tell that with him. He's been through some tough situations there in college, getting hurt, fighting through it, and then to still end up being the No. 1 pick, that's tough. ... So he's got all the elements there to make for a great quarterback. It's just a matter of getting reps and playing, and kind of learning the ropes."

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: A.J. Feeley holds Rams No. 1 QB spot for now ..

I really don't think the 78 million dollar man will be second fiddle for very long.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

For some reason, I feel a bit uneasy about Feeley giving Bradford and the young ones instruction and advice.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    For some reason, I feel a bit uneasy about Feeley giving Bradford and the young ones instruction and advice.
    I feel good about Feeley as far as what i've heard. I obviously havent seen him during camp, but like Gilyard says hes taking charge in being the leader the team needs right now as far as experience goes. He's not just coming in to be the guy that HAS to teach the younger, inexperienced guys, he's taking it upon himself to mentor and keep a positive atmosphere on the field as well as the meeting room. I also like that he was throwing with a trainer 2wice a day during the off time.

I'll leave my trust to Bradfords intangibles that he'll soak in the gems that are being thrown his way, and leave out any information that he feels is only going against his abilities that have gotten him this far.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I'm perfectly fine w/ AJ calling the shots (and TAKING the shots) while Sam absorbs all this info. On the other hand, he DID just get 80 mil ... hurry up now, Sam.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

"Hey pssstt, Sam, now listen up here real good ya hear? Imma bout to tell you here this secret I've learned o'er the past years I've been in this ole' league now ya hear?

You wanna throw this here ball to dem other team ya hear? You dun wanna throw this here ball to Laurent or Donnie. You wanna throw this here ball to dem white jerseys, becuz that's the way ole' football is played. Also, you wanna throw with your left eye closed. Doing so increases yur phereicpel vision, making it easier to see the field now ya hear?"

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I feel worse about Shurmur, but neither is that much of a confidence builder. At least Feeley can tell Bradford to do the exact opposite of what he does.