Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

J. Lau: 2009 Defensive ROY?..

Im sure mostly everyone has heard about Brian Cushing's apparent steroid use by now..Lets steer away from him for this thread and focus on the debate of whether you think he should be stripped of his defensive ROY award, and if indeed it happens, is there ANYBODY that deserves it more than J. Lau.?..

Mods, this is more for the sake of discussing whether people think J. Lau. will end up with the award or not..

Furthermore, I found this article on rotoworld about about the consequence that may be coming..

According to Associated Press advisor Dave Goldberg, the AP may hold a re-vote for the 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year award.
    Goldberg is also a Rookie of the Year voter. A decision isn't expected for a few days "at least," but Brian Cushing is in danger of being stripped of his award after testing positive for a banned substance last September. Cushing insists that it wasn't steroids. The linebacker wouldn't just lose the trophy, he'd also lose incentives based on rookie-year accomplishments.

I definitely think Laurinitis should receive the award without doubt, what do you guys think?..

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: J. Lau: 2009 Defensive ROY?..

That's a fine thought.....but if they were to pull it from Cushing, I assume it would go to the 2nd highest vote getter, Jarius Byrd.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He didn't receive any votes for Defensive Rookie of the Year the first time, so why is he going to get votes the second time around? I don't know that a revote makes much sense, but I don't think Laurinaitis is a serious contender if he didn't get any recognition the first time around.
    Last edited by Nick; -05-10-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's a fine thought.....but if they were to pull it from Cushing, I assume it would go to the 2nd highest vote getter, Jarius Byrd.
    Agreed. Byrd was a monster for the Bills, and received 2nd place in the voting...so it would only make sense to give it to him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hubison did you just give unorthodox the byrd?

Milan is offline Registered User

The award will obviously go to Byrd if they re vote, you could make a case that it should have went to him the first time around.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Jairus Byrd will get the award if it is stripped from Cushing.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

See I don't like these kinds of awards where its just a popularity contest having mostly an audience of bandwagon fans having really poor judgement being shallow through stats shown on the board and the team the particular player plays for.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

They are doing a re-vote with Roid Boy still on the ballot. So he potentially could retain the award.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Also in regards to J Lau winning the award, I don't see it happening. If Cushing is removed from the equation, J Lau dominates the other vote getters in tackles, more than doubling (120 total) his closest competitor. Unfortunately the voters look at "sexy" stats like sacks and interceptions. Orakpo and Matthews had 11 & 10 sacks respectively (which unfortunately will overshadow the paltry 50 tackles they both had) to J Lau's 2. In 14 games Byrd had 9 Ints, which tied him for the league lead, and 11 PDs plus 45 tackles.

I still think Cushing will get some votes, but not win it. It should be Byrd. He played flat out outstanding football as a rookie.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Also in regards to J Lau winning the award, I don't see it happening. If Cushing is removed from the equation, J Lau dominates the other vote getters in tackles, more than doubling (120 total) his closest competitor. Unfortunately the voters look at "sexy" stats like sacks and interceptions.

Right, thats what I was wondering, if they would do a complete "re-vote" where everybody is in that case reconsidered, or just hand it down to the player which came in 2nd with the votes..Of course I'd love to see Laurinitis get the award but that should be the best way to do it..

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Orakpo should win it, with JL in second

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    See I don't like these kinds of awards where its just a popularity contest having mostly an audience of bandwagon fans having really poor judgement being shallow through stats shown on the board and the team the particular player plays for.
    The top two vote receivers, Cushing and Byrd, play for Houston and Buffalo respectively. I don't think either of these players won the award because their teams were so popular. They had great seasons and were definitely deserving of the honor.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    The top two vote receivers, Cushing and Byrd, play for Houston and Buffalo respectively. I don't think either of these players won the award because their teams were so popular. They had great seasons and were definitely deserving of the honor.
    These reasons are why some people are saying that Clay Matthews is the favourite now, mainly because Green Bay made the playoffs

rammiser is offline Registered User

If I remember correctly J. Lau wasnt even in the top five the first time around. I think he was overlooked for being on such a putrid team. I dont see how if they had a re-vote he suddenly comes to the focus of any of the voters who blatantly skipped over him the first times. I would venture to say he once again would not make the top five.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast