Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J.R. Reed

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Question J.R. Reed

I know he's new and may not know the ins and outs of the Rams gameplan yet, but JR Reed should be returning both kicks and punts. McDonald is not agressive enough for what a team needs in a punt returner. Reed gives 100% everytime, protects the ball, reads the defense well, hits hard, has explosive speed and is exciting to watch. If given the chance he'll have a few retuns for TDs before the year is over. I also wouldn't mind seeing him as a 3rd or 4th WR from time to time to see what he could do.

He is a play maker. He just needs the ball.

What do you all think?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: J.R. Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I know he's new and may not know the ins and outs of the Rams gameplan yet, but JR Reed should be returning both kicks and punts. McDonald is not agressive enough for what a team needs in a punt returner. Reed gives 100% everytime, protects the ball, reads the defense well, hits hard, has explosive speed and is exciting to watch. If given the chance he'll have a few retuns for TDs before the year is over. I also wouldn't mind seeing him as a 3rd or 4th WR from time to time to see what he could do.

He is a play maker. He just needs the ball.

What do you all think?
    I still can't understand why they keep putting Micky D out there. Reed was signed to return kicks; why not let him earn his pay by putting him out there for punt returns as well. It will only be a matter of time before he breaks one open like he has done in the past in Philly.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think in the last two games, McDonald has had a return of 30 yards and a return of 14 yards, and that doesn't inspire me to make a personnel change.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

hey the special teams havent done this well since the super bowl years so im not complaining

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Although McDonald still makes me squirm a little on punt returns, I think he's getting more confident every game and he definitely has some explosiveness. IMO, punt returns are not an easy business and making any changes now would be risky, especially with Reed having virtually no experience returning them.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Although McDonald still makes me squirm a little on punt returns, I think he's getting more confident every game and he definitely has some explosiveness. IMO, punt returns are not an easy business and making any changes now would be risky, especially with Reed having virtually no experience returning them.
    I too, close my eyes and pray everytime I see the ball headed to McDonald. Just like I use to do with Az. He certainly has the capability to bust one, but someone has to get it through his thick head to protect the damn ball. However, I thought that the acquisition of Reed was for the sole purpose of returning kicks, so what happened?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

tanus is offline Registered User

Kick returns and punt returns are two very different things. According to the stats on nfl.com, Reed has never once returned a punt in a regular season NFL game, only kickoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    However, I thought that the acquisition of Reed was for the sole purpose of returning kicks, so what happened?
    And that's what he's doing. He wasn't brought in to return punts.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Alright a little football help needed here.....what is the big difference between returning a kick and returning a punt? I know there are different players that kick or punt, but why is so different for the guy returning the ball?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Alright a little football help needed here.....what is the big difference between returning a kick and returning a punt? I know there are different players that kick or punt, but why is so different for the guy returning the ball?
    There is no real football difference per se. Its a subtle preference based on the players involved and perceptions by the coaches. Some players have a hard time judging the flight of the ball from a punter as opposed to a kickoff where they can see the ball coming off the ground from the kicker. The mannerisms of the ball is different. Kick offs are normally end over end, and punts can have a spiral that will sail on you. Some players handle punts better than others. There's also the ability to pick or make your running lanes. Some players are better at picking up lanes on kick offs, but have a hard time on punt, and vis versa. These things are worked out and studied during training camp, pre-season, and practice. A more vague, but still weighed consideration is that kick off returns are considered more risky for the runner than punt returns, so while coaches will gamble with a player on punts, they won't put that same player in the more risky kick off return duties.Its for these reasons that you see different players returning punts and kick offs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just went back and checked to seee wher my and others confusion came from. The initial report from an eagles fan said he would be doing kicks and punts. All official reports said kickoff returns only. Doesn't change the fact that I'd like to give him a few chances to return some punts and see what happens.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Punts are much more difficult to handle IMO. Your looking up with the knowledge that more than a few headhunters are going to be right on your butt, looking to take your head off. In an instant, you're tracking the ball, deciding on your fair catch options, making the catch, looking for a lane and trying to avoid getting creamed. Unlike a kickoff, if you muff it, you're most likely not going to have any time to recover, and for your trouble are almost certainly going to get tatooed.

Look at last year when Terry Fair was supposed to handle a critical punt against Seattle but because he was "tired" (translation: scared), on his own he asked McDonald to go in for him. McDonald was also shakey about the return and fumbled it (hard to blame McDonald in that situation).

Returning a punt is stressful, requires enormous concentration and steady nerves. Hopefully, McDonald gets to the point where he is comfortable with the duties.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I just went back and checked to seee wher my and others confusion came from. The initial report from an eagles fan said he would be doing kicks and punts. All official reports said kickoff returns only. Doesn't change the fact that I'd like to give him a few chances to return some punts and see what happens.
    I don't believe he's ever done it in his career to date. Why start now? As I pointed out, it's not as if McDonald is struggling with it this season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

you dont change it unless something has gone wrong, and it hasnt so far

I don't believe he's ever done it in his career to date. Why start now? As I pointed out, it's not as if McDonald is struggling with it this season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I didn't mean just throw him into a game unprepared. He practiced for the Eagles as a punt returner, and in 2003 he did return 3 punts for 71 yards for South Florida while in college. Obviously it is something he would have to practice more before given a real game opportunity.

I think in the last two games, McDonald has had a return of 30 yards and a return of 14 yards, and that doesn't inspire me to make a personnel change.
    His full stats are:
    Punted to 8 times.
    4 fair catches.
    2 zero yard returns.
    1 30 yard return.
    1 14 yard return.
    1 fumble lost.

It doesn't inspire me to not make a personnel change either.

And FYI JR Reed is now listed on the Rams official web page as a kick returner and PUNT returner. Guess I'm not the only one excited by him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast