Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Bralidore(RAMMODE)
  • 2 Post By HUbison

Thread: Is J. Smith Finally Ready to DO WORK?

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Is J. Smith Finally Ready to DO WORK?

From Nick Wagoner's Sideline blog from Rams Minicamp yesterday:

Finally, after a long few months, the Rams returned to the practice field on Tuesday afternoon. - The minicamp is voluntary for the veterans though with a new coaching staff in place, it’s strongly recommended anyone not wanting to fall behind attends.
    - As such, the Rams had 59 of a possible 60 players present and accounted for at Tuesday’s workout.

- The only player not present was S Darian Stewart. Stewart is working toward his degree and had an exam to take. He could potentially join the team for the final practice tomorrow.
    - Included in the group attending: QB Sam Bradford, LT Rodger Saffold, RB Steven Jackson, DE Chris Long, LB James Laurinaitis and all of the team’s new additions from free agency.
    - Coach Jeff Fisher is pretty wide open in terms of what he allows the media to do but one area he doesn’t like to get into is injuries. So while the Rams had some of their injured players returning to workout, Fisher didn’t provide much of a glimpse at where they stand. He did, however, provide some comedic material when asked about some of his injured players.
    “You know, I’ll have an injury report for you on September 5,” Fisher said, laughing.
    - Fisher did say that newly signed DE William Hayes had an offseason procedure on his shoulder and was a bit limited.
    - Otherwise, WR Greg Salas, CB Bradley Fletcher and others seemed to be rounding into shape and at least participating in parts of the practice.
    - OT Jason Smith also was back on the field and he appears to be more chiseled and focused than ever. I’ll have more on Smith’s enthusiastic return to the team in a full story for the front page tomorrow but Smith wanted it known that he has used his battles with concussion to really zero in on the important things. To the point where he says the experience has been life changing.
    - Fisher said Smith has been cleared full go and will have no limitations moving forward.
    “Yeah, he’s good,” Fisher said. ”He’s been here, he’s been working. He’s been working very well inside and his condition level is excellent. We’re excited about a new start for him, if you will.”
    - Considering the timing of the minicamp, Fisher and his staff haven’t had much time to come up for air. They have worked with the players as much as possible but with the draft on the horizon, they have had to get back to draft meetings right after practice.
    “Les (Snead) and I decided to take a little extra time, so we started a week earlier,” Fisher said. ”So the first go around we got extra work to do and we have to do some tie breaking here over the next week or so, but it’s going well. The process is going well. The scouts have done a terrific job doing their research and their homework and the discussions and the conversations are going well.”
    - The Rams will be back at it tomorrow with another practice. This minicamp is the extra one courtesy of the league for new coaching staffs. The Rams will have another minicamp, for rookies in May and a final mandatory whole team camp in mid-June.

I'm sure I would have to look far and wide for a Rams fan that has too much more patience left for the 2nd overall pick of the 2009 draft. I myself have to admit that Ive grown tired of watching this guy get man handled by guys smaller and the same size as he is in both the pass and the run game.

However this little tidbit caught my eye as I want nothing more but for this guy to succeed not only for my own personal reasons of liking a good comeback story but for the sake of this team and the holes we already have to fill.

Hearing that this guy has come into minicamp chiseled and focused got me excited and all I can hope for is that come August, "RT" wont be see a draft pick or a FA starting.

Here's to Jason Smith and the hope that he comes and balls out this year
    THOLTFAN81 and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Is J. Smith Finally Ready to DO WORK?

If Fisher can mold Smith into a good starting RT, i'd be supremely impressed and happy.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

It's very encouraging to see so many players turn up for the voluntary workouts. I maybe wrong, but I can't recall seeing such a high turnout in previous years with the Rams. It looks like the players are just as excited as the majority of us fans, with the hiring of Fisher.?
    Jason Smith is definitely at a crossroads in his career. So its going to be interesting to see if Fisher can somehow bring out the beast in Smith.?

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Would love for Smith to have a long overdue break out. I doubt it happens but I still believe he can be solid albeit overpaid right tackle for the team.

If he plays well this year that'll go a long way to helping turn the offense around.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jason Smith is a HUGE consideration in the Rams potential success this year. I continue to preach that while wide receiver is our #1 individual need, our #1 need as a team is for dramatically improved offensive line play, because without dramatically improved offensive line play, the skills of bradford and jackson are effectively wasted. If Smith can be a functioning starter (forget the dream of playing up to the level of expectations for a #2 overall pick), that can be a boost in the arm of biblical magnitude for us on the offensive line. We can draft a guard (hopefully in round 2) and have a legitimate hope of having a productive offensive line. Whoever are wide receivers are, they are going to look a lot better if sammy has time to throw and jackson has some room to run, both of which will help avert all of those terrible down and distance problems we have had over the years, in addition to our putrid, pathetic, and limp performance in the red zone.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

- OT Jason Smith also was back on the field and he appears to be more chiseled and focused than ever. I’ll have more on Smith’s enthusiastic return to the team in a full story for the front page tomorrow but Smith wanted it known that he has used his battles with concussion to really zero in on the important things. To the point where he says the experience has been life changing.
    - Fisher said Smith has been cleared full go and will have no limitations moving forward.
    “Yeah, he’s good,” Fisher said. ”He’s been here, he’s been working. He’s been working very well inside and his condition level is excellent. We’re excited about a new start for him, if you will.”
    The devil on my left shoulder --- We hear this same crap about some bum every single year: "Oh, he's turned the corner." "He's had a great offseason" "He's stronger/faster/lighter/heavier than ever before." Take your pick; none of them ever translate to the field! And he's a high risk for concussions. It's not a matter of if, but when he gets another concussion.

The angel on my right shoulder
    --- Last season may be what he needed to get it all together. He knows his career may be slipping away, and for some folks the best comes out when they're cornered. With a clear neurological chart and a new lease on his career, he may be ready show all that potential that made him the #2 pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Article on Smith supposed to be coming out on stl rams site later today.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Article on Smith supposed to be coming out on stl rams site later today.
    Yeah, all that talk of Smith, we will see....maybe once you see if his body looks changed, it could help his mind too..

Rambos is offline Registered User

our #1 need as a team is for dramatically improved offensive line play
    I agree with you and if Smith could reinvent himself, I'm all for it! Awhile back the word was the Rams would cut him or ask him to take a pay cut, maybe just maybe he has been at the facility working and the new staff likes what they see.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Smith has gotten a pretty bad rap so far as a Ram. The guy was raw coming out, we knew he would be a project. We also knew it would take a couple years for him to develop - something his number two overall status just didn't allow. Add his freak-accident injuries on top of this, is anyone really surprised at his lack of development so far?

macrammer is online now Registered User

I hold no malice for his less then stellar performance(s). What a bonus if this guy shapes up and learns how to dominate. But, if he is still a "bum" please, catapult him so we can move on, k fish?

ramsflow is offline Registered User

Just beyond awesome seeing players shwoing up voluntarily.