• 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By RealRam
  • 1 Post By lordwhttgr
  • 1 Post By live4ramin
  • 1 Post By VegasRam

Thread: Jack Pardee

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Jack Pardee

I just learned that Jack Pardee a great Ram linebacker in the '60's has been diagnosed with cancer and was given 6-9 months to live. My thoughts and sympathies to Jack and his family in this tragic time. I know many of you will share my thoughts.
    laram0 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Jack Pardee

Thanks MDE. Sure enough...

Jack Pardee given 6-9 months to live
    AP. Updated: November 28, 2012, 2:07 AM ET

HOUSTON -- Jack Pardee ... who went on to become a five-time All-Pro linebacker and an NFL coach, has been diagnosed with gall bladder cancer and has six to nine months to live, his family said Tuesday.

His daughter Anne Pardee confirmed to The Associated Press that the cancer has spread to other organs and that her 76-year-old father plans to move to a Denver hospice where the College Football Hall of Fame inductee's wife, Phyllis, has been receiving care since having a stroke.

Anne Pardee said her father was in good spirits despite the diagnosis.

Jack Pardee survived a bout with melanoma when he was 28 and in the middle of his 15-year NFL playing career...

...Pardee played three seasons at Texas A&M and was drafted by Los Angeles in 1957. He played for the Rams from 1957-64, sat out a year to cope with his melanoma, then played seven more seasons [Total of 13 seasons with the L.A. Rams ('57-64, 66-70), 17 INTs.]. He finished his playing career with the Washington Redskins in 1973.
    Circa 1967, I remember reading an article in a Football magazine about Pardee being one of the most underrated LBs in pro football (NFL + AFL). He was one of my Rams heroes, part of an awesome defense, a terrific defense.

My sincerest empathy and support to Mr. JP and his loved ones. May God be with you.

Clic on images to enlarge:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jack Pardee-george-allen-jack-pardee.jpg   Jack Pardee-jack-pardee6.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-28-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Date 2nd image attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Mde8352gorams View Post
    ...Diagnosed with cancer and was given 6-9 months to live. My thoughts and sympathies to Jack and his family in this tragic time. I know many of you will share my thoughts.
    Thanks again MDE. Would like to hear from other Clan veterans here, i.e., from Pardee's era. No doubt, there are plenty things to post about concerning present day happenings with our team but here's an attempt to honor one of our great LBs of the past.

A salute to Jack Pardee.

This man was a solid, strong LB for the Rams! Usually lined up to the side behind Deacon, Jack was yet another valiant warrior that comprised the Rams formidable D of the George Allen squads ('66-70). B I G time defenses my friends.

During the mid - late 60s, Monday Night Football was still being experimented with by playing one or two games during the regular season. Below is a snapshot of one such MNF game which happened to be between the L.A. Rams at STL Cardinals -- their regular season opener, Sept. 16, 1968. I remember this year in particular because I was 'busy' keeping track of the Rams as well as the increasing international news building up on occasion of the Summer Olympic games in Mexico City for October. Great time for sports! It was otherwise a decade of deep political and social difficulties.

The Rams won this first game of '68 by a score of 24-13. They won their 2nd game too; and 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th... The previous year, '67, we lost only ONE game (tied two!) and in '69 we won ... get this, the first 11 games. How's that for being upbeat as a Rams fan! Going undefeated was a very real possibility in '69 [don't know if that had anything to do with the John Wayne movie 'Undefeated' in which R. Gabriel and M. Olsen took part]. These were extremely effective Rams teams, both sides of the scrimmage line.

And Jack Pardee was right there, usually anchoring the strong side of the D.

Photo caption: Willis Crenshaw of Cardinals lowers landing gear as Eddie Meador (21) hits him low and Jack Pardee (32) gets him high at St. Louis Monday night... [R. Oats, L.A. Times, Tue., Sept. 17, 1968.]

Also seen in this play: Myron Pottios, MLB; Maxie Baughan, OLB; and Safety Eddie Meador.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jack Pardee-jack-pardee-eddie-meador.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-29-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Salute to JPardee
    ramsanddodgers likes this.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Didn't he coach the Rams once?
    "The horror"

mh-i is offline Registered User

He was a Ram when I first became a fan. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Live4ramin View Post
    Excellent question, kind of tricky. Who's got the input...

From the fabled Foursome defense of 1965-71, the Rams LB corps was also a truly excellent component that usually included starters Maxie Baughan (No. 55), MLBs Doug Woodlief (57) / Myron Pottios (66), and ... Jack Pardee (32) as seen in pictures below.

This former Rams LB is 76 years old. As MH-I said, 'I wish him well'.

If you should want to recall other teammates of Pardee ca. 1968 that are on the field and on the sideline in the bottom photo (a magnifying lens might help), from left to right you'll find...

Maxie Baughan, LB (55); Lamar Lundy, DE (85); Doug Woodlief, MLB (57); Bruce Gossett, K (30); Claude Crabb, DB (49); Roger Brown, DT (78); Tommy Mason, RB (20, wearing cap); Merlin Olsen, DT (74); Deacon Jones, DE (75); George Burman, OL (51); Pardee himself (32); and, Don Chuy, G (62). ...All my middle school and high school books were covered with L.A. Rams pictures from newspapers and mags, covered in clear vynil.

Those were the days. 'Glad these players - such as Pardee - were part of my youth. Thus my tribute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jack Pardee-rams-defense24.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-30-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Sideline players
    live4ramin and mde8352gorams like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    In 1975, Pardee was hired by the Chicago Bears as head coach. He spent the next three years there, leading Chicago to their first playoff berth in 14 years in 1977, before moving on to the Washington Redskins. In 1979 he led the Redskins to within 1 game of making the playoffs, but in the season's final week they blew a 13-point lead to the eventual NFC East champions Dallas Cowboys and missed the playoffs. He was fired after going 6-10 in 1980. In 1981, he was hired as Assistant Head Coach in charge of defense for the San Diego Chargers.
    live4ramin likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    From the fabled Foursome defense of 1965-71, the Rams LB corps was also a truly excellent component that usually included starters Maxie Baughan (No. 55), MLBs Doug Woodlief (57) / Myron Pottios (66), and ... Jack Pardee (32) as seen in picture below.

This former Rams LB is 76 years old. As MH-I said, 'I wish him well'.

If you should want to recall other teammates of Pardee ca. 1968 that are on the field and on the sideline in this photo (a magnifying lens might help), from left to right you'll find...

Maxie Baughan, LB (55); Lamar Lundy, DE (85); Doug Woodlief, MLB (57); Bruce Gossett, K (30); Claude Crabb, DB (49); Roger Brown, DT (78); Tommy Mason, RB (20, wearing cap); Merlin Olsen, DT (74); Deacon Jones, DE (75); George Burman, OL (51); Pardee himself (32); and, Don Chuy, G (62). ...All my middle school and high school books were covered with L.A. Rams pictures from newspapers and mags, covered in clear vynil.

Those were the days. 'Glad these players - such as Pardee - were part of my youth. Thus my tribute.
    Great photo. I recall our O-line was among the NFL's best, Tom Mack, Ken Iman/Rich Saul, Joe Scibelli, Charlie Cown and Bob Brown, each was great. Our only problem was getting past the Vikings, Cowboys and Packers in the playoffs.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by LAram0 View Post
    In 1975, Pardee was hired by the Chicago Bears as head coach. He spent the next three years there, leading Chicago to their first playoff berth in 14 years in 1977, before moving on to the Washington Redskins. In 1979 he led the Redskins to within 1 game of making the playoffs, but in the season's final week they blew a 13-point lead to the eventual NFC East champions Dallas Cowboys and missed the playoffs. He was fired after going 6-10 in 1980. In 1981, he was hired as Assistant Head Coach in charge of defense for the San Diego Chargers.

Nicely done LA.

Pardee was also one of the George Allen faithful veterans that followed him to the Redskins in '72, the year they went to SB VII and almost capitalized with the grand trophy.

So getting back to Live4ramin's question, no, JP did not coach the Rams but he could certainly be considered an "assistant coach / player"! 13 years with the Rams and a consummate pro indeed.

Last edited by RealRam; -11-30-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Tyop!
    live4ramin likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Baaa you beat me to it
    live4ramin likes this.

Thanks amigos. What's weird is I remember his face.

How come I can remember things from fourty years ago and forget where I parked my car?
    gap likes this.
    "The horror"

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Thanks amigos. What's weird is I remember his face.

How come I can remember things from fourty years ago and forget where I parked my car?
    And how to spell forty. ;-)
    live4ramin likes this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

My spellcheck is asleep on the couch.
    "The horror"