Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Jack Youngblood: Rams 'forgot us'

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Jack Youngblood: Rams 'forgot us'

I miay be a youngin compared to many of you, and yes, i became a fan of the rams when they became the st.louis rams. But even f i wasnt able to watch the L.A. Rams growin up, doesnt mean i i havent looked them all up and respect them none the less. yes, you have a deeper connection with those players, but i dont see how any franchise, whether they move or not, should not implicate the greats of rams past into the present. They will always be a part of this franchise, and the FO should let it be known.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    This cracks me up. This is all news to y'all? ...and some of you wonder why there was such a deep hatred towards Madamn Ram and her cronies? Really? This is the sentiment of many former LA Rams fans.
    I am not one to wonder why....I lived it for the whole time she "owned" the Rams. I have been very vocal about new ownership for many years. This forum gave me a chance to get it out to a broader mass. The lady never gave a flying feces about Ram tradition and we never stood a chance with the legacy of the Rams.
    Some of my firends never rooted for Rams after they were whisked away to St Louis. These guy's were die hard fans but were so bitter from what the lady did to this team and the move..........

And today, her losing legacy lives!

When I see messages about patience and big picture, building a new team etc., I have to think these are mostly post LA Ram fans and have not lived through the pain of the lady years from outset.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I wasn't alive in the 70s, but even I can recognize its a shame that our legends of the past our not treated with the respect they deserve.

Funny thing is, our organization had no problem selling me a Jack Youngblood t-shirt

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I willing to bet there are some very young St. Louis Ram fans that's never even heard of Jack Youngblood or even knew the Rams once played in Los Angeles. Sad, Sad, Sad.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

As big a Youngblood fan as I am, I do think he's overstating his case.

Let's not forget, it was just last year that the current Rams FO made a point of honoring Deacon Jones who, of course, never played in St. Louis.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Let's not forget, it was just last year that the current Rams FO made a point of honoring Deacon Jones who, of course, never played in St. Louis.
    Maybe, but the point remains that former Ram greats feel disconnected with the St. Louis Rams. How can that be, unless the ghost of madam Frontiere is still running things.
    macrammer likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

One of the biggest reasons I became a Rams fan was the legacy and legend of Jack Youngblood. While I did not have the privilege of seeing him play, I count him among my favorite Rams. It's a shame to hear he feels this way.
    jkramsfan, macrammer and ZiaRam like this.

Truth is offline Registered User

This article brought back a flood of really bad memories. The damage that our last owner did to this franchise cannot be overstated. Recently, John Robinson had this to say about her, "She was from Mars. We were never really trying to win there; we were trying to make money..." What I want to see from our new owner is a re-dedication to winning, a renewed sense of pride in who we were and are, THE RAMS.

This comment by Youngblood brought up another sore issue for me, "They didn’t acknowledge the Rams history but brought back former St. Louis Cardinals players. I used to battle against these guys and now they’re being honored by the Rams. It doesn’t make sense." While we did just honor Deacon Jones, we are NOT the Cardinals. They are in Arizona. Let them honor past Cardinal greats. Stop honoring Cardinals players, and start honoring those players that made many of us proud to be Rams fans. This team has no real identity right now. They're trying to be the Cardinals and the Rams. STOP IT. We are the Rams. Thank those Cardinals players who made such a great contribution to St Louis football history, appologize to them, then remove their names from the stadium. If the team they played for (the Cardinals) wishes to honor them, that's great.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything from Kreonke that makes me feel that he has any true sense of who the Rams are, or were, or even cares about it, for that matter. I don't think we need to live in the past. But the history of this franchise is a proud one, and it's been swept under the rug by the organization since Mr. Rosenbloom's death. I really want to see Mr. Kreonke embrace this team as the gem that it is, rather than just another trophy on his shelf. Until that happens, I believe this team will flounder. While I've never been a huge proponent of moving the team back to L.A., if that move was used as a springboard to change the attitude of this organization, I would be all for it. I'm not trying to turn this into another "moving" debate. I just want my Rams back. I'm not talking about back in L.A.. I'm talking about the pride, history and identity, no matter where we call home.

Sorry about the rant. This really hit a nerve, and I think it's at the heart of what's wrong with our Rams.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    This article brought back a flood of really bad memories. The damage that our last owner did to this franchise cannot be overstated. Recently, John Robinson had this to say about her, "She was from Mars. We were never really trying to win there; we were trying to make money..." What I want to see from our new owner is a re-dedication to winning, a renewed sense of pride in who we were and are, THE RAMS.

This comment by Youngblood brought up another sore issue for me, "They didn’t acknowledge the Rams history but brought back former St. Louis Cardinals players. I used to battle against these guys and now they’re being honored by the Rams. It doesn’t make sense." While we did just honor Deacon Jones, we are NOT the Cardinals. They are in Arizona. Let them honor past Cardinal greats. Stop honoring Cardinals players, and start honoring those players that made many of us proud to be Rams fans. This team has no real identity right now. They're trying to be the Cardinals and the Rams. STOP IT. We are the Rams. Thank those Cardinals players who made such a great contribution to St Louis football history, appologize to them, then remove their names from the stadium. If the team they played for (the Cardinals) wishes to honor them, that's great.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything from Kreonke that makes me feel that he has any true sense of who the Rams are, or were, or even cares about it, for that matter. I don't think we need to live in the past. But the history of this franchise is a proud one, and it's been swept under the rug by the organization since Mr. Rosenbloom's death. I really want to see Mr. Kreonke embrace this team as the gem that it is, rather than just another trophy on his shelf. Until that happens, I believe this team will flounder. While I've never been a huge proponent of moving the team back to L.A., if that move was used as a springboard to change the attitude of this organization, I would be all for it. I'm not trying to turn this into another "moving" debate. I just want my Rams back. I'm not talking about back in L.A.. I'm talking about the pride, history and identity, no matter where we call home.

Sorry about the rant. This really hit a nerve, and I think it's at the heart of what's wrong with our Rams.
    I think you just about hit the nail on the head with everything. You also voice some of the same concerns I have regarding the Rams lack of a true identity. This is the home of THE ST. LOUIS RAMS, not the football Cardinals. Any honors given to members of the old football Cardinals should be given in Phoenix, NOT St. Louis. That Dan Dierdorf and others are included in the Ring of Honor at the dome shows you people just don't get it.

The day Carroll Rosenbloom died was a black day for the organization. Don't be fooled by talk of Georgia's "philanthropy" or "love for St. Louis". Georgia Frontiere presided over some horrendous football teams and was 55 minutes late to her own husband's funeral. That tells you all you need to know about how clueless an individual she was.

While I appreciate an owner who is not a meddler, I must say I am a bit peeved we have heard nothing from Stan Kroenke. It would be nice to accurately gauge this man's commitment to winning, creating a top-flight organization, and level of disgust with the current state of affairs. One can only hope he's the guy to get this thing turned around once and for all.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Not to take anything away from Youngblood's or Jones's frustration, but I've yet to hear of a player in that era who is now happy about anything.

I can see why....everywhere they turn there's some disrespectful punk kid millionaire with no idea of what the game was like for these guys who are now having to deal with the consequences of life (way) after football has ended.

The franchise absolutely should be reaching out to these guys. Everywhere that Bradford, Long, Laurinaitis, etc. turn they should feel the ghosts of these players pressing around them. I just don't think Youngblood's indignation is unique.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Mr.Youngblood made some good points, I sorely miss him causing havoc for opposing offenses, I still have a picture of me in the 4th grade wearing a Jack Youngblood shirt with his number, My parents, being immigrants, not knowing a word of english, knew how passsionate I was/am about the RAMS, were kind enough to buy the shirt for me, even they knew who he was....Mr.Youngblood is the toughest Man to play in the NFL, He is the "John Wayne" of professional football, any doubters see SBXIV.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Pardon the interuption, but when you were actually living in this era of greatness did the franchise ever honor the alumni of the CLEVELAND Rams?

Just wondering.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Pardon the interuption, but when you were actually living in this era of greatness did the franchise ever honor the alumni of the CLEVELAND Rams?

Just wondering.
    Cleveland Rams were in NFL from 1937-1945. In 1943, during WW II, play was suspended. LA Rams were in business from 1946 - 1995. Only player I know for sure that was recognized was Bob Waterfield was QB for the C. Rams in 45 and he went onto to play for the LA Rams.

to sum up, 6/7 years in Cleveland vs. roughly 50 years as LA Rams.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

They did that to try and sell tickets. The current regime is not interested in the past Rams players unless they can turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    They did that to try and sell tickets. The current regime is not interested in the past Rams players unless they can turn a profit.
    Which is wrong, plain and simple. It's about time the Rams did something right for a change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast