Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rams#1 Guest

Is Jackson among the NFL's Elite?

09.02.2009 1:16 pm
    Is Jackson among gameís elite RBs?

By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER
    QUESTION: Itís been three years since Steven Jackson totaled 2,300+ yards rushing and receiving back in 2006. Two injury-marred seasons later, does Jackson still belong in the discussion as one of the gameís top running backs?
    JIM THOMAS
    WIthout a doubt. Jackson levels the playing field for the Rams. Heís one of only three NFL running backs with at least four straight seasons of 1,000-yard rushing yards entering 2009. (The others: Thomas Jones of the New York Jets and LaDainan Tomlinson of San Diego.) Jackson just needs to stay healthy. In each of the past two seasons, he has missed four games entirely and most of a fifth because of injury.
    BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Here are the stats: over the past three seasons, Jackson is 5th in the NFL in rushing yards, 4th in yards from scrimmage. Thatís a Top 5 running back. But Jacksonís star power has dropped, nationally, for a couple of reasons. Primarily itís health and the perception that he misses a lot of time because of injuries. (He has missed games, but the same is true of most RBs; only four backs had more rushing attempts than Jackson from 2006-2008). But as former NFL personnel guy Michael Lombardi said at The National Football Post, Jackson is a blue-chip talent who doesnít have blue-chip durability. Moreover, Jacksonís employer has been so hopelessly bad over the last couple of years, itís lowered his profile. Other backs ó such as Steve Slaton in Houston ó get more attention now. Jackson should reclaim that Top 5 status this season.
    BILL COATS
    No question that he does. Although he missed a total of eight games during 2007 and í08, he topped 1,000 yards rushing both seasons and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. Thatís only a bit off his í06 pace of 4.4 yards per carry. Plus, he remained a receiving threat out of the backfield, with 78 catches. Jacksonís still the same guy; he just needs to stay healthy.
    JEFF GORDON
    A lot of top backs, like Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones, are getting some miles on them. Others are having to share the load as more teams go with a two- or even a three-back arrangement. So, yes, Jackson is in the top six or seven RBs in the league. Despite his injuries he has stacked up 1,000-yard seasons. He is also one of the elite pass-catching backs in the NFL. He may never meet the expectations fans have for him, but heís still superior to all but a few backs in the league.
    BRYAN BURWELL
    When healthy, Jackson certainly does belong in the conversation of the gameís top backs. Heís big, fast, strong and elusive, and he is in the best shape of his life and in a new offense that will highlight those skills.
    KEVIN WHEELER (Host of ďSports Open LineĒ on KMOX)
    Absolutely, yes. None of the injuries heís dealt with have been the serious kind that saps a player of his abilities over time ó no knee reconstructions or anything like that ó and when healthy heís the Rams player other teams scheme against. Heís still big and heís still fast so if the Rams line can open up some holes for him heís going to have a monster season in í09. To me the only concern with Jackson is whether or not the players around him will be good enough to give him a chance to post big numbers. Heís one of the Top 5 running backs in the NFL.
    ROGER HENSLEY
    One of the gameís better running backs? Sure. One of the games elite? Iím not so sure. I can think of at least a handful of runners that Iíd rather have on my team than Steven Jackson. That list would include: Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams and perhaps even Maurice Jones-Drew. And if youíre talking about this season only, I might even take old-timers like LaDainian Tomlinson and Brian Westbrook over Jackson. If the question were is Jackson one of the gameís most-talented running backs, that would change my answer. I believe he is that. But his inability to stay on the field the past two seasons has to knock him down a few pegs in my book.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Is Jackson among the NFL's Elite?

Hensley sounds like a Jackson basher, or he doesn't know the meaning of the word "elite". He'd take Matt Forte over Jackson? They had nearly the same numbers last year with the exception of games played. Forte took 16 games to do what Jackson did in 12.

I'd put Peterson ahead of Jackson, although I think Jackson is the better all-around back. If Jackson stays healthy this year, I would expect my ranking to switch.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Considering what Jax has had to run behind for the last couple of years I would say he is in the elite catagory. The yards he gets are "tough" yards for sure, not sure I would put him ahead of AP but he is a solid 2nd in my book for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ramer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    Considering what Jax has had to run behind for the last couple of years I would say he is in the elite catagory. The yards he gets are "tough" yards for sure, not sure I would put him ahead of AP but he is a solid 2nd in my book for sure.
    I agree with you totally. With the OL he's been running behind, he earned every yard he got.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i too agree with what makersncoke says..

all other top tier Running backs have played behind a superior O-line than ours and even with AP its hard to say if he`s actually better than SJ because he has the greatest guard in the NFL to open up lanes for him...only Forte has played behind a line anyway near as bad as ours has been and lets see how good he is in 4 years time if he`s still playing behind that poor line..all the others have good lines and in just about all cases atleast 1 top tier O-lineman to run behind.

this season SJ should have an O-line atleast a lil bit closer to the standard of the other O-lines the other top RB`s have played their entire careers behind..so lets just see...my money is on him having the best season of his career to date.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

to me Adrian, then Jackson. But if our O-line gel's and become's stout, Uh oh watch out everyone.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

He does deserve to be among the elite. He's performed above and beyond for a mediocre team. The only nick to the armor is his blitz pickups.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

He did have the most yards from scrimmage per game last year. I would take a healthy Steven Jackson over any back in the league.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Matt Forte over S Jax LOL.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Personally, I like shifty backs that are under 6' tall. Teams with RB's that look like linebackers, like Steven Jackson, Willis Magahee, Marshon Lynch, Lawrence Maroney, etc... typically need a third down type back on the roster as well, whereas LT, AP, Michael Turner, (Marshall, Barry Sanders) etc... are ALL down backs and more versatile. I think those are the one's that become elite.

Was Bettis Elite?

Jackson and Avery are probably the only 2 offensive players that any other team would be interested in, but not sure he's earned any Elite status based on his performance to date.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Peterson thus far is far from an every-down back. Don't think I'd use Turner as an example either

Funny to see Sjax grouped with McGahee, Maroney

Safe to say, I disagree.

Top 'all-around' backs (in my opinion) in no order:
    LT, SJax, Portis, Westbrook (healthy)

-Everyone else
    Last edited by #39 Fan; -09-03-2009 at 08:33 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Personally, I like shifty backs that are under 6' tall. Teams with RB's that look like linebackers, like Steven Jackson, Willis Magahee, Marshon Lynch, Lawrence Maroney, etc... typically need a third down type back on the roster as well, whereas LT, AP, Michael Turner, (Marshall, Barry Sanders) etc... are ALL down backs and more versatile. I think those are the one's that become elite.

Was Bettis Elite?

Jackson and Avery are probably the only 2 offensive players that any other team would be interested in, but not sure he's earned any Elite status based on his performance to date.
    AP and Michael Turner aren't 3rd down backs. Chester Taylor and Jerious Norwood go in for them on 3rd downs where Steven Jackson had 90 catches in 2006. I would also say that Jackson putting up the 5th most yards from scrimmage in NFL history and leading the league in that statistic in 2006 is enough to put him in elite status.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    See, I would argue that there's a middle ground there. You've got plenty of "shifty" backs who come out in short yardage situations because they don't have power. Even Tiki Barber--a very good example of this type of player--was paired early in his career with Ron Dayne and later with Brandon Jacobs. Then you've got some "power" backs who come out on third downs either because they can't catch or they lack top end speed. And then you've got some who have a rare blend of both speed and power that would qualify in your "ALL down" back category. I would suggest that Larry Johnson and arguably Adrian Peterson--both 6'1"--would fall into this category alongside Steven Jackson.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I don't think there's anything lacking in SJ that a 16 game season behind a stable O-line won't cure.

I watched some of those youtube videos of the '06 games. His best year to date & he doesn't look anything like as good as he did in the last few games of '08. He now runs lower to the ground,just punishing defenders violently, and is noticeably bigger but still astonishingly fast. Watching him turn the corner on an outside run is like watching Bolt run the bend in a 200 meter race.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Is Jackson among the NFL's Elite?

YES !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast