BY BILL COATS Saturday, October 2, 2010 12:25 am

As the hours ticked away before Sunday's NFC West matchup with Seattle, the Rams' season captains took a step forward Friday in their recovery from injuries.

Running back Steven Jackson, who suffered a strained groin Sunday against Washington, and safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, who aggravated a bruised thigh vs. the Redskins, got in some work on the practice field for the first time this week.

Of the two, Jackson's prospects of suiting up Sunday appear murkier. He was very limited in practice, taking some walk-though reps and then a few handoffs on the side, where he tested his ability to cut.

"Tomorrow's another day," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "We're just going to have to go day-by-day." Jackson's availability probably will be determined in pregame warmups Sunday.

The same probably is true for Atogwe, although he did take part in some 11-on-11 team drills Friday.

"It's looking pretty good," Atogwe said. "I felt good out there today. I was able to run around and get loose. We'll see how it feels on Sunday."

Both players were listed as questionable on Friday's injury report.

Spagnuolo might need one or both of them just to fill out his 45-man game-day lineup. Five members of the 53-man roster have been ruled out: tight ends Billy Bajema (knee) and Michael Hoomanawanui (ankle), defensive tackles Clifton Ryan (migraines) and Darell Scott (ankle), and linebacker Chris Chamberlain (toe).

Wide receiver Laurent Robinson (foot) and safety Darian Stewart (hamstring) were doubtful. Jackson and Atogwe raise the total of players with no better than a 50-50 chance of playing Sunday to nine ó leaving the Rams with just 44 healthy players.

"It's going to be interesting to try to find 45," Spagnuolo said. "But hopefully some of these guys will bounce back. It is a long list when you look at it. I think more than anything, it challenges the guys that are still practicing. That's a number of (extra) reps during the course of a week."

Spagnuolo said he took precautions to try to keep the workload at a reasonable level for those who were able to practice.

"I was concerned about the legs, especially wide receivers and safeties," he said. "I try to do my best job to keep them fresh, but they've got to get their rest, too. ... Now, we can't go too long with that, because over the course of a season, that'll wear you down."