RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson believes he ranks with NFL's elite backs

R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press
    ST. LOUIS - Lofty praise came Steven Jackson's way on Thursday and the St. Louis Rams running back, growing in confidence by the week, believes it's on the mark.

"Having gotten a chance to play with him and seeing him week to week, he is in my opinion one of the top three running backs in professional football - if not the top back," St. Louis safety Corey Chavous said. "When you start looking at his numbers and what he's been able to do, and with his size, speed and versatility, he is just an unbelievable package."

Jackson secured his second straight 1,000-yard rushing season with four games to spare last week against the Cardinals, and 19 yards against the Chicago Bears on Monday night would top his career best.

LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson are generally acknowledged as the top two backs in the NFL. Jackson feels he belongs in that company.

"I do, and what's even more challenging is I'm here to try to prove I can be No. 1," Jackson said. "I know over time it'll come, as the yards rack up. That's what I'm striving to be, No. 1."

Jackson is sixth in the NFL with 1,028 yards rushing, with Tomlinson and Johnson running 1-2 and each above 1,300 yards. He also trails Frank Gore of the *****, Tiki Barber of the Giants and Chester Taylor of the Vikings.

Jackson's emergence as a receiving threat boosts him to third behind the Big 2 with 1,650 yards from scrimmage. He's second in the NFC with 72 receptions, needing only 15 catches to tie Marshall Faulk's franchise record set in 1999.

"I think I've matured as an overall back, a guy who's showed my teammates and my coaching staff that there's really no need to pull me out of the game in any situation," Jackson said. "I feel like I can do everything the coaching staff asks me to do, and I'm willing to go to battle with my teammates."

First-year coach Scott Linehan said Jackson's emergence as a receiver, which has helped the Rams move the ball against zone defenses designed to muffle Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, is the impressive aspect of this season. Jackson caught 43 passes last year.

"It's just kind of an untapped resource that I think has been utilized just based on him playing full-time," Linehan said. "He's taking full advantage of it."

Faulk was the first player in NFL history to have four straight 2,000-yard seasons rushing and receiving during his prime from 1998-2001, and Jackson is getting close to that territory after totaling 1,366 yards last season. He said if Faulk decides to return next year after sitting out this season with a knee injury, he can "go out and show the teacher."

"I'm not a guy who's not willing to work and not willing to share the spotlight," Jackson said. "The numbers I've put down and foundation I've made this year, I have nothing to be scared about."

The timing of the Rams' only Monday night game this season, with Pro Bowl voting upcoming, gives Jackson an opportunity to show a national audience what he can do.

"It's definitely a chance not only for myself but for a lot of guys hoping to make the Pro Bowl to put out a special performance," Jackson said. "We have a lot of regional games, but this time it's prime time and you've got to put on your dancing shoes."

Notes: S O.J. Atogwe (concussion) and CB Tye Hill (thigh) were held out on Thursday and are questionable, but are expected to play. Linehan said the extra day between games gave each a chance to rest, but said Atogwe would be evaluated again. Atogwe was hurt on a collision with St. Louis linebacker Will Witherspoon. ... Linehan said DE Victor Adeyanju, who's missed only one week with a broken forearm and wants to play wearing a cast, is more of a longshot.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson believes he ranks with NFL's elite backs

Don't disappoint a huge audience on MNF Jackson......

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson believes he ranks with NFL's elite backs

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press
    ST. LOUIS - Lofty praise came Steven Jackson's way on Thursday and the St. Louis Rams running back, growing in confidence by the week, believes it's on the mark.

"Having gotten a chance to play with him and seeing him week to week, he is in my opinion one of the top three running backs in professional football - if not the top back," St. Louis safety Corey Chavous said. "When you start looking at his numbers and what he's been able to do, and with his size, speed and versatility, he is just an unbelievable package."

Jackson secured his second straight 1,000-yard rushing season with four games to spare last week against the Cardinals, and 19 yards against the Chicago Bears on Monday night would top his career best.

LaDainian Tomlinson and Larry Johnson are generally acknowledged as the top two backs in the NFL. Jackson feels he belongs in that company.

"I do, and what's even more challenging is I'm here to try to prove I can be No. 1," Jackson said. "I know over time it'll come, as the yards rack up. That's what I'm striving to be, No. 1."

Jackson is sixth in the NFL with 1,028 yards rushing, with Tomlinson and Johnson running 1-2 and each above 1,300 yards. He also trails Frank Gore of the *****, Tiki Barber of the Giants and Chester Taylor of the Vikings.

Jackson's emergence as a receiving threat boosts him to third behind the Big 2 with 1,650 yards from scrimmage. He's second in the NFC with 72 receptions, needing only 15 catches to tie Marshall Faulk's franchise record set in 1999.

"I think I've matured as an overall back, a guy who's showed my teammates and my coaching staff that there's really no need to pull me out of the game in any situation," Jackson said. "I feel like I can do everything the coaching staff asks me to do, and I'm willing to go to battle with my teammates."

First-year coach Scott Linehan said Jackson's emergence as a receiver, which has helped the Rams move the ball against zone defenses designed to muffle Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, is the impressive aspect of this season. Jackson caught 43 passes last year.
    First let me say, thank you Mike Martz for drafting this guy. Imagine where we'd be without him, especially this season with Marshall going down.

SJ is a beast and has grown alot this season both running and with his ability to be an effective receiver. He has definitely blown away my expectations.

But...That's right, BUT. I wouldn't put him in the same class as LT or LJ, not yet anyway. LT and LJ are game breakers/changers. SJ hasn't shown that homerun consistency yet. That ability to take it to the house when we least expect it. That ability to not only make that 1st guy miss but to get through that next wave and break it for the homerun. I have alot more confidence in SJ now than I had last season. Not that I'm wishing away time or this season but I can't wait to see how he does next season after having a full season under his belt.

Thank you Steven Jackson for your heart and desire.