RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson defends Martz -- read and weep, Martz haters

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Thursday, Dec. 30 2004

With rare exception, defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson holds court with the media
    every week before Rams games. He is glib, witty and insightful on most any
    football topic, whether it's the state of the Rams or some aspect of that
    week's opponent.

But on Thursday he got on his soapbox with an impassioned show of support for
    beleaguered coach Mike Martz, whom Jackson feels has been subject to undue
    media criticism this season. It was part lecture, part rant, part discussion -
    and unlike anything any Rams player has said about any Rams head coach in the
    team's 10-season stay in St. Louis.

"He's a pinata to you guys," Jackson said, standing in front of his locker
    stall at Rams Park. "For everybody in here, it's a joke really with what's
    going on. I see it, and I just shake my head. I'm perplexed.

"People who have no idea what's going on in this locker room, no idea what it's
    like to play football in the National Football League, or run a football team,
    they are criticizing (Martz).

"Mike Martz gets a game ball from his players, but does that lead off
    (sportscasts)? Did anyone talk about that? Anybody?"

Jackson was surrounded by perhaps 20 media members at this point, including
    several camera crews. His question drew no affirmative replies.

"So there you go," Jackson said. "If it bleeds, it leads."

In other words, Jackson accused media of feeding off negativity.

Martz was presented with a game ball in the locker room by the players Monday
    night after the team's 20-7 victory over Philadelphia. Jackson, the team's
    defensive captain, presented it to Martz. The locker room was closed the media
    at that time, and the team made no announcement about the presentation.

Most members of the media were unaware of Martz getting a game ball from the
    team until Jackson's remarks shortly before noon Thursday. About an hour later,
    Martz was asked about it during his usual midweek news conference.

"Those are the moments as a football coach that you treasure probably more than
    anything else," Martz said. "It's hard for me to put into words what that means
    to me. It's hard to talk about it without getting emotional. But it means the
    world to me, that they thought enough to do that. Particularly at that moment."

Although he has brought some of it on himself, there have been many rough
    moments over the past three weeks for Martz:

Chris Chandler's six-interception meltdown Dec. 12 against Carolina.

A blowup meeting between Martz and offensive tackle Kyle Turley on Dec. 13.

Erroneous speculation Dec. 18 that Martz probably would resign or be fired.

Another Chandler meltdown Dec. 19 at Arizona, leading to a sideline meltdown by
    Martz that he conceded affected his play-calling during the game.

A series of bizarre comments by Martz during news conferences in Arizona after
    the game, and the following day in St. Louis, particularly on the subject of
    why Steven Jackson didn't play against the Cardinals.

Sprinkled in between has been consistent criticism of Martz by national and
    local media, not to mention hints of friction between Martz, general manager
    Charley Armey and president of football operations Jay Zygmunt.

"There's been a lot of things happen, hasn't there?" Martz said, laughing.

One of the criticisms that particularly rankled Jackson is speculation that
    Martz has "lost the team."

"When I hear things like, 'the players have shut it down,' or 'they've quit,'
    or 'the players don't want to play for (Martz),' or 'the players don't like
    him,'" Jackson said. "What are you talking about? Have you ever heard a player
    say it?

"People who don't know him away from the camera, and away from the microphones,
    make statements as if they do. To me that's just unfortunate. Because if you
    only know one aspect of a person's personality, that doesn't give you license
    to talk about the rest of the guy's personality."

Jackson said he feels many media comments made about Martz have become too
    personal in nature.

"They sound that way, and to me that's sad," Jackson said. "What kind of
    journalistic integrity is that?"

He also said commentators and reporters sometimes go too far in analyzing
    games.

"Analyze what you just watched," Jackson said. "'I saw a team that didn't play
    well.' Or, 'I saw a team that maybe didn't play to its ability.' But when you
    start to go further and say, 'Well, it looks like they packed it in.' Or, 'It
    looks like he lost the team.'

"I hear that and I shake my head. To me, it doesn't sound like the person who's
    talking has any idea what they're talking about. I know they don't. Where's the
    integrity to not speak about things you know nothing about?"

Re: Jackson defends Martz -- read and weep, Martz haters

RealRam is online now Registered User

Oh, what does TJ know! (Right?)

People who have no idea what's going on in this locker room, no idea what it's like to play football in the National Football League, or run a football team, they are criticizing (Martz). --T. Jackson
    Let's keep it together and focus on this NYJ game.

RamTime Guest

Well when some thought the Rams should run the ball with Bulger out and Chandler in, turns out they were right. When Martz wanted Jamie Martin and the fans wanted Bulger, turns out the fans were right. When fans were criticized for saying that the team was not prepared for the 2002 season, turns out they were right. When fans rained boos upon Tony Banks and implored Vermeil to pull him, turns out they were right. When fans screamed early this year to run Jackson instead of Faulk, turns out they were right. When fans worried that Martz couldn't keep up with the pace of the game from the sidelines, turns out they were right. When fans worried about wasting the best talent this franchise ever had, turns out they were right. When/what have fans/reporters been unfair in critiquing this regime? I think "Martz haters" is a selfish description of fans who have legitimate concerns about what has been going on and what is to come. Nobody hates Mike Martz. Some are concerned with some of his tendencies but nobody hates him. He is a Ram that brought back to football the excitement of downfield passing. Vertical football, Air Coryell and the antithesis of the boring West dink Offense. Some fans just expected more and wonder ďwhat if normal decisions were made in the heat of battle.Ē I know I know you canít have your cake and eat it to that is, Martzís exciting brand of football and generic decisions made by other coaches. I donít know for sure if you have to sacrifice one for the other but I do know that the Rams had the best damned football team in the league for 3 years and came away empty.
    PEACE

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I think "Martz haters" is a selfish description of fans who have legitimate concerns about what has been going on and what is to come.
    Good point RamTime. Maybe "Martz bashers" would have been a bit more appropiate, although I don't think it was really necessary to include "read and weep, Martz haters" in the first place. It's nice to hear that the team is still behind Martz, but the underlying problems remain.

Yodude is offline Registered User

read and weep, Martz haters
    ...from the same person that posted Bernie's ridiculous diatribe against Martz....

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

"read and weep" is inappropriate, but a 16 page tirade about him is not? *LOL*

PS--I try to post all articles about the Rams, not just ones I agree with.

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    Well when some thought the Rams should run the ball with Bulger out and Chandler in, turns out they were right. When Martz wanted Jamie Martin and the fans wanted Bulger, turns out the fans were right. When fans were criticized for saying that the team was not prepared for the 2002 season, turns out they were right. When fans rained boos upon Tony Banks and implored Vermeil to pull him, turns out they were right. When fans screamed early this year to run Jackson instead of Faulk, turns out they were right. When fans worried that Martz couldn't keep up with the pace of the game from the sidelines, turns out they were right. When fans worried about wasting the best talent this franchise ever had, turns out they were right. When/what have fans/reporters been unfair in critiquing this regime? I think "Martz haters" is a selfish description of fans who have legitimate concerns about what has been going on and what is to come. Nobody hates Mike Martz. Some are concerned with some of his tendencies but nobody hates him. He is a Ram that brought back to football the excitement of downfield passing. Vertical football, Air Coryell and the antithesis of the boring West dink Offense. Some fans just expected more and wonder ďwhat if normal decisions were made in the heat of battle.Ē I know I know you canít have your cake and eat it to that is, Martzís exciting brand of football and generic decisions made by other coaches. I donít know for sure if you have to sacrifice one for the other but I do know that the Rams had the best damned football team in the league for 3 years and came away empty.
    PEACE
    Ramtime,
    You are exactly right. That article sounds like a bunch of gibberish from a real ass kisser...not unlike some of the comments about the moderators last week. Happy New Year. Enjoy the mediocrity that Martz has brought to this once talented organization.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I try to post all articles about the Rams, not just ones I agree with.
    It's cool dude...no offense meant...I just thought it was amusing that one of the staunchest Martz supporters posted that crap article from Bernie.

As critical as I have been of Martz at various times through his tenure, I thought that article was totally over the top.

Peace!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"read and weep" is inappropriate, but a 16 page tirade about him is not? *LOL*
    Maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but I would think you wouldn't want to sink to a level you obviously don't appreciate. Not that you don't have that right. Perhaps this thread should have been in the smack forum? LOL

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

"A coach that listens to the fans, will soon sit among them"
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

No offense taken brother. Still love ya

I should not of added my peace to the end, just tough to always bite my tongue

PS--Bernie is still the best...whether he agrees with me or not. At least he can form an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    It's cool dude...no offense meant...I just thought it was amusing that one of the staunchest Martz supporters posted that crap article from Bernie.

As critical as I have been of Martz at various times through his tenure, I thought that article was totally over the top.

Peace!