Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Jackson and Dickerson

Anyone else see the parallels between the Jackson and Dickerson situations? Two superstars in the prime of their careers holding out for more money. We all know how the Dickerson situation turned out, it should be interesting to see what happens here.

I am not all that familiar with the history of the Dickerson situation. Did the rams make Dickerson an offer that would have made him the fourth highest paid running back in the NFL and under those circumstances, did Dickerson, under contract, still refuse to report? Or, in the alternative, were the Rams tightwads (as i have often read) in the Dickerson situation.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson and Dickerson

Plain and simple the Rams wouldn't pay Dickerson.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

There's no comparision between Dickerson and Jackson at similar stages of their careers. After four years in the NFL, one proved he was a great running back, setting records from year one and establishing himself as one of the best backs ever, and wanted to be compensated for his efforts.

...the other thinks he can become one of the greatest, and wants the money up front.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    There's no comparision between Dickerson and Jackson at similar stages of their careers. After four years in the NFL, one proved he was a great running back, setting records from year one and establishing himself as one of the best backs ever, and wanted to be compensated for his efforts.

...the other thinks he can become one of the greatest, and wants the money up front.
    As well, ED had held out twice by this point in his career.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Both sad situations of course. I only hope Jackson doesn't make it any worse now.

ScottD413 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

100% Correct

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

At the time the Rams traded Dickerson, who was looking for 1 million a year, he was something like the 30th highest paid RB in the league although only Walter Payton had an arguement for being better.

The Rams at that time, couldn't or simply wouldn't justify paying a RB more than the head coach. John Robinson who was that coach, was making about 600,000 a year.

When the Rams finally trade Jackson, he will also be in the lower half of the league in pay, though most of us believe he is in the upper echelon of RBs in this league. So they are similar situations from that aspect.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -08-18-2008 at 09:46 PM.

easyfour Guest

Dickerson deserved to be the top-paid back in the NFL. Not only was he the best, but he was the large majority of the Rams offense, and one of the reasons their (well-rested) defense was so good. God knows what would have happened if he had had a full season with Everett at quarterback. The biggest tragedy is that, unlike the Cowboys, the Rams didn't get great value for their picks (Bill Hawkins, Gaston Green, Aaron Cox).

But, the holdout is where the similarities end. Jackson's a great player, and a key to the Ram's offense, but he's not nearly as valuable as was Dickerson. However, I can't blame the guy for wanting to lock-in a long-term deal before the beginning of his contract year.

St.Louis Ram 56 Guest

Thumbs down Re: Jackson and Dickerson

No,, I will not Categorize Jackson and Dickerson, Jackson Proved nothing last year to merit anything other than the offer they gave him. Hate to say this I'm ready to write the guy off.....Let me put it this way...The best Racing Drag slick tire is only good....IF its on the car....Jackson Isnt on the car....Again, You can Train and study as hard as you want,,,but you can't get the sync right, with the team, your blocker's tendancies.

S.J. if you read this...
    Dude..your agent is making you holdout for his bling, and if he doesnt get it,,,he still cuts off what you ache for...he is dimebaggin ya...Mr. Superstar,wannabe...yeah wannabe...lastyear's record proved how you singlehandedly earned the right to sit out..ain't no I in team. How much do you get not to play...what team will want you....A Huge misteak is being made... I say get you some direct tv cause your gonna miss the action.....maybe after your a nobody again...you can crawl back into the league as a backup...and find your value....what say you...

SL,,, if you think this dude is up to speed your a joke.....Its time to throw the cards down....He lost his edge. go back to the base salary.
    And Kurt Warner will blow us out again,with the Cards.... Go with what you have and let SJ ride the rail....

Very disgruntled and can see no value in this holdout thing, in either direction now...its past its usefullness....SJ you did it to yourself..

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Anyone else see the parallels between the Jackson and Dickerson situations? Two superstars in the prime of their careers holding out for more money. We all know how the Dickerson situation turned out, it should be interesting to see what happens here.

I am not all that familiar with the history of the Dickerson situation. Did the rams make Dickerson an offer that would have made him the fourth highest paid running back in the NFL and under those circumstances, did Dickerson, under contract, still refuse to report? Or, in the alternative, were the Rams tightwads (as i have often read) in the Dickerson situation.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

At the time the Rams traded Dickerson, who was looking for 1 million a year, he was something like the 30th highest paid RB in the league although only Walter Payton had an arguement for being better.

The Rams at that time, couldn't or simply wouldn't justify paying a RB more than the head coach. John Robinson who was that coach, was making about 600,000 a year.

When the Rams finally trade Jackson, he will also be in the lower half of the league in pay, though most of us believe he is in the upper echelon of RBs in this league. So they are similar situations from that aspect.
    It's been a long time and my memory of all the details is sketchy. The post from fortuninerhater sounds fairly accurate. I think Dickerson started the season under contract. Regardless, he started the season and played 3 games. I think that was a players strike year. seems they played 2 games then replacement players played some games. Dickerson came back and played another game after the strike. He was then traded. One strange thing I remember about the trade....it occured on halloween of all days.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Someone please go look at jackson's numbers from two years ago, with his 1500 yards rushing and 90 catches and tell me that he is trying to get paid on the come without having proven anything.

News flash. Dickerson ran behind five all pro offensive linemen. Jackson has run with below average o lines. The rams offensive line last year was just awful. i dont care who the back was, he was going to be extremely limited.

I am not taking anything away from dickerson, but jackson has done some fantastic things for the rams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Truth is offline Registered User

As I've stated in other threads, I don't think either side has handled this situation all that well.

I can certainly see SJ's side of this issue. The life expectancy of a RB in the NFL today is quite short. He wants to make sure he gets paid, not used and discarded.

As for the Rams, they feel that SJ has a contract and should show up to practice (hard to argue against that point). However, refusing to talk to SJ without him showing up to camp was a BIG mistake. No one wins with that strategy.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

However, refusing to talk to SJ without him showing up to camp was a BIG mistake.
    That sets a rather scary precedent though. I agree that Jackson needs to get paid, but for him to voluntarily enter into breach of contract only to have the FO cave to his demands is setting this organization up to be held hostage by any player that wants the same.

I agree with the FO on this one currently. As long as Jackson stands in breach of contract, there should be zero negotiations. If he expects the FO to act in good faith, he needs to do the same.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 Guest

jackson and Dickerson only compare as Ram running backs. Holdouts , whatever. Dickerson was the man , the myth, the legend, jackson , well i can't even see three things to call him yet.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Dickerson was the man , the myth, the legend, jackson , well i can't even see three things to call him yet.
    Hey, how ya doin

Here are three things to call him:

1. Better
    2. Than
    3. Dickerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast