08.12.2009 4:28 pm
Jackson eager to see how “new” Rams perform vs. Jets
By Bill Coats
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Next to new coach Steve Spagnuolo, St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson might be looking forward to Friday night’s preseason opener more than anybody. Jackson, who got no preseason work last year because of a contract dispute, is eager to see how the “new” Rams fare against the Jets.

“I’m really excited to see what this ’09 team has,” Jackson said. “I think over the last several months, OTAs till now, we’ve really worked on changing the identity of this team. And I think Friday will show where we’re at so far in this early season.”

Jackson conceded that he doesn’t mind a little break from the tedium of training camp, either.

“Camp is a necessary evil,” he said. “You’ve got to get your mind and your body in shape, because it’s going to be a long, grueling season. You just want to make sure you’re fundamentally sound, and I think Friday that’s what we’re going to look for. Make sure that guys are competing and . . . staying true to what’s being taught around here now.”

Notes & quotes:

*The afternoon practice, which ran about 65 minutes, featured equal “team” work for the offense, defense and special teams. The players were in shells.

*CB Ron Bartell (hamstring) remained on the sideline, as did DT Adam Carriker (ankle).

*Rookie DT Darell Scott (knee) sat out after experiencing knee inflammation in the morning workout.

*S Craig Dahl (hamstring) and FB Mike Karney (ankle) were limited.

*The coordinators used headsets to communicate with the one player on each side of the ball with a receiver in his helmet, a rehearsal for Friday night.

*CB Marcus Brown picked off a pass from rookie Keith Null, the fifth interception of the day.

*Former Rams DB Aeneas Williams attended practice with a youth group.

All for now . . .