Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson finds fan absence hard to bear

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Dec. 14 2006

Less than two weeks ago, the starting quarterback called out his teammates.

On Wednesday, the starting running back called out the fans.

When asked about leaving the Monday night game briefly because of leg cramps,
    Rams running back Steven Jackson quickly changed the subject.

"I think I got a little overheated there," Jackson replied. "I guess I wasn't
    used to the dome being as packed as it was full of Bears fans."

About 20 percent of the seats in the Edward Jones Dome were occupied by Chicago
    fans on Monday night. And they made about 80 percent of the noise in the Bears'
    42-27 victory over St. Louis.

"I have a big problem with that," Jackson said. "I noticed that a lot of our
    PSL fans decided to sell their tickets, and there were a lot of Bears fans in
    sections that they shouldn't have been in."

In terms of opposing fans in the dome, it was reminiscent of the Kansas City
    game Nov. 5.

"Definitely," Jackson said. "We're having a rough year right now, but if you're
    going to be a fan you've got to be a fan the whole year and not part time."

As was the case against Kansas City, the noise made by Chicago fans was so
    loud, the Rams had to switch to a silent count on offense to get their plays
    off.

"We had to use the silent count," Jackson said. "When we ran out in pregame, we
    were booed. It was terrible. I couldn't believe it.

"To be at home and feel like I'm at a road game, it was just embarrassing to
    me. Especially on Monday night."

But given the team's struggles this season, couldn't Jackson understand why
    some Rams fans might be turned off by the team?

"No, I don't understand it," Jackson said. "I hear a lot of people around the
    city sometimes complain about our play and how we're doing as a team. But
    there's some cities that don't have a team.

"We did come from LA. LA's dying to have a team again. So if you have a team, I
    think you should support 'em. I don't go out there and play halfway. I play to
    the fullest of my capabilities. And I expect you guys to show up every Sunday.
    I play hard. Just because we're losing doesn't mean we're not playing hard."

But couldn't he see why fans might want to sell a $100 ticket for $1,000 to an
    eager Bears fan?

"I feel if you made the decision at the beginning of the year to buy the
    ticket, eat it," Jackson said. "If you don't decide to buy next year, that's
    your decision. But if you're going to buy it for the 2006 season, come to every
    game."

For years, the Rams had one of the best home-field advantages in the game. From
    1999 through the 2004 season, the Rams were 43-10 at home in regular-season and
    playoff games. But Monday's loss dropped their home record to 3-4 this season,
    meaning they will fail to have a winning home record for the second straight
    season.

Jackson's comments came after quarterback Marc Bulger recently questioned the
    commitment and focus of some of his teammates.

After Jackson got his thoughts about fan support, or lack thereof, off his
    chest, the subject returned to his leg cramps.

"I went in for an IV and I think I missed two series, and (Chicago) put up 14
    points," Jackson said. "I didn't think I was gone that long ... but I'm mad
    that I had to miss that much."

Jackson actually missed parts of three series. He left the field with 7 1/2
    minutes remaining in the third quarter. He didn't touch the ball again until 11
    minutes were left in the fourth quarter, when he caught a 4-yard pass from
    Bulger. By that time, a 21-13 Chicago lead had grown to 35-13.

Jackson later scored his first receiving touchdown of the year, giving him two
    touchdowns, plus 139 yards from scrimmage against the vaunted Bears defense.
    Whether that was impressive enough to any undecided voters to put Jackson in
    the Pro Bowl remains to be seen.

"It was an impressive performance, but a lot of guys were getting on me about
    the cramps," Jackson said.

Then, he added with a laugh, "Hopefully, that won't take away from the
    toughness vote."

Rams players will cast their Pro Bowl votes today; the Pro Bowl team will be
    announced next Tuesday.

"I've definitely put up Pro Bowl numbers, nothing short of that," Jackson said.
    "But a lot of times it goes by name recognition, and your team exposure, and
    how you're doing as a team. Who knows?

"I'm not worried about it. It's out of my hands now. I put in the work, and now
    it's time for voters to vote."

Jackson leads the NFC in yards from scrimmage (1,789), receptions (82), and is
    third in the NFC in rushing yards (1,109).

He is only six receptions away from breaking Marshall Faulk's single-season
    Rams record for catches by a running back of 87, set in 1999.

"I'm not looking at the record as small," Jackson said. "I just wish our
    (won-loss) record was a little bit better. Then maybe I'd appreciate it a
    little bit more."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson finds fan absence hard to bear

"I'm not looking at the record as small," Jackson said. "I just wish our
    (won-loss) record was a little bit better. Then maybe I'd appreciate it a
    little bit more."
    Steven, I appreciate the thought. That is an outstanding team attitude, and the Rams could use more of it.

However...
    But couldn't he see why fans might want to sell a $100 ticket for $1,000 to an
    eager Bears fan?

"I feel if you made the decision at the beginning of the year to buy the
    ticket, eat it," Jackson said.
    Steven, it's rather bad form when a multi-millionaire tells a blue collar working man that he's wrong for trying to make a buck (or $900 in this example). Some friendly advice, kid....worry about what you can control on the field, not what you can't control off the field.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

what i think he means is that if you dont want the ticket, let another real ram fan buy it through the club. i dont think he cares about the fact the are making money on it, more that they sold it to a bears fan

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Have to say I agree with Jackson,if you don't want your ticket don't buy it in the 1st place...No TRUE fan would sell their ticket to an opposition fan,thus giving your opponent's an advantage..He and most of the player's are pi$$ed of about having to use a silent count on offence(AGAIN).. And also at getting booed at the introductions,quite ridiculous...:l

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    what i think he means is that if you dont want the ticket, let another real ram fan buy it through the club. i dont think he cares about the fact the are making money on it, more that they sold it to a bears fan
    Apparently the Bears fans were the ones offering the $1,000, not a Rams fans. So it would seem that it indeed was about the money.
    Have to say I agree with Jackson,if you don't want your ticket don't buy it in the 1st place...No TRUE fan would sell their ticket to an opposition fan,thus giving your opponent's an advantage..He and most of the player's are pi$$ed of about having to use a silent count on offence(AGAIN).. And also at getting booed at the introductions,quite ridiculous...
    Who said they didn't want the ticket. They felt the ticket was worth something at the beginning of the season. Now it's worth more to a Bears fan than it is a Rams fan. That's simple economics. Maybe one day we'll be a communist nation and we won't have to worry about things like equitable transactions. However, if some family guy who spent more than he should have for a PSL and season tickets can find value for a ticket, I'm not going to say he's wrong for trying to make a buck. Nor should some millionaire kid like Jackson. If he and the rest of the team are so ticked off about the situation, there's an easy solution......stop sucking!

I too am disgusted by the situation. However, I'm not going to wag my finger at some guy being offered silly money for a ticket. That's his right to do whatever he wants with it.

Again, the fans will respond as soon as the team gives them something to respond to. I repeat, the question is not "Does a certain city deserve the team", but "does that team deserve the city"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I agree it's up to the individual to do whatever they want with their ticket, what I said is that they aren't TRUE fans if they coin in on their ticket just because the team is struggling...The definition of a TRUE fan is somebody who will support their team thru the good times and the bad(no matter how bad).. :l

dramswin13 is offline Registered User

I would love to live close enough to see them play whether good, bad or ugly. Maybe one day. St. Louis should be very ashamed to have turned its back on the Rams. They deserve better. You don't know what you've lost until its GONE!

GSOT is offline Registered User

Well if the rams move, btw there is a 30 year lease on the dome, thry wont move back to LA THATS for sure thatt HUGE HUGE HUGE market compared to STL couldnt even keep the Rams or the Raiders...

The definition of a TRUE fan is somebody who will support their team thru the good times and the bad(no matter how bad)..
    So then where are all the "true" fans, be they from STL, LA, or elsewhere, offering the PSL holder $1,001 to keep the Bear fan out?

I applaude your romantic notion of a fan, so dedicated, they are willing to give up $1,000 in order to keep an opposing fan out of their seat. However, sometimes real life gets in the way of our romantic ideals. And in this case, I can't blame anyone, nor can I proclaim them less than a "true fan" for putting a little extra food on the table. Life comes before football.

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

Hub I have to disagree with you on this one. 1. If you are putting your family lifestyle in jeopardy by buying PSL's & tickets, then maybe you shouldn't be buying them in the first place. Leave them for the fans that can afford them & who will support there team in good times & in bad times. ( dam sounds like a marriage). 2. Most PSL owners don't sell to opposing fans, they sell to places like ticket solutions who then in turn sell them to who ever will pay there price aka bear, chief fans.

I for one agree with & support Jackson's comments to call the fans out. It was embarrassing on MNF & should never happen. He has his right to call the fans out if he wishes just as we have the right to call a player out if his performance is below par.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I 100% totally agree with Jackson. If your a fan you should be there good or bad. If you bought season tickets and around Christmas you need to sell your ticket for extra money maybe you should'nt be buying season tickets. When superstars hold out for a better contract and miss games fans get pissed because the guy they are there to see isnt playing. So why can't a player get pissed when their fans sell tickets to other teams fans? As a fan I was embarrassed too. I mean it sounded like Chicago was at home, how pathetic. It's not like the Rams have been a losing team for the last 10 years. This team is rebuilding and season ticket holders need to support them. I live in Las Vegas with no pro sports team. If we had a pro team not only would I purchase tickets but I would be there for every game. Now if that team went 10 years without a winning season then I just might quit buying season tickets in protest of an organization not trying to improve. Some of you might not like to hear it but Jackson is right and this team deserves better. This isnt the GSOT but they need support to get back to a winning team. If you want to see what FANS for a losing team sound like watch a Green Bay game, you wont find 20% opponent support in Green Bay. Not only are they loud they are enthusiastic for a team with no shot at the playoffs. What's our fans excuse, or what's Green Bay's excuse for supporting a losing team?
    Just Fix It

GSOT is offline Registered User

Jackson does a wonderful job of motivating the fans by basicly saying why dont they move back to LA! I can't wait till Marshall is back.. A TRUE SAINT LOUIS RAM.

Hub I have to disagree with you on this one.
    If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that. Allright, let's take a look at it.
    1. If you are putting your family lifestyle in jeopardy by buying PSL's & tickets, then maybe you shouldn't be buying them in the first place. Leave them for the fans that can afford them & who will support there team in good times & in bad times. ( dam sounds like a marriage).
    Good idea. So does that dictate that he, as SJ put it, "eat it" this year when he has the opportunity to make back some of that money?
    2. Most PSL owners don't sell to opposing fans, they sell to places like ticket solutions who then in turn sell them to who ever will pay there price aka bear, chief fans.
    Maybe the owner sold them privately, maybe he sold them through a broker. But let's say he did go through a broker.....how is it his fault the broker sold to a Bear fan?

I for one agree with & support Jackson's comments to call the fans out. It was embarrassing on MNF & should never happen.
    As I said earlier, if SJ and the rest of the team are concerned about the proportion of Rams fans in the crowd, the solution is to.....stop sucking. And easy answer to say the least.
    He has his right to call the fans out if he wishes just as we have the right to call a player out if his performance is below par.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not questioning his right to do so. I just don't think it was the smartest move. When they're winning games, and still having to go to silent counts at home, then he can legitimately gripe about the crowd.

So why can't a player get pissed when their fans sell tickets to other teams fans?
    They have that right. Just as the fans can do whatever they want to with their private property (ticket).
    Some of you might not like to hear it but Jackson is right and this team deserves better.
    I'll never understand the hero worship surrounding teams. This team and every other professional team "deserve" their contracted salary, nothing more, nothing less.
    If you want to see what FANS for a losing team sound like watch a Green Bay game, you wont find 20% opponent support in Green Bay. Not only are they loud they are enthusiastic for a team with no shot at the playoffs. What's our fans excuse, or what's Green Bay's excuse for supporting a losing team?
    Excellent, I guess we will pick up this conversation in another 75 years after the Rams have been in St. Louis as long as the Packers have been in Green Bay.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Again, the fans will respond as soon as the team gives them something to respond to. I repeat, the question is not "Does a certain city deserve the team", but "does that team deserve the city"?

Ok Missouri Ram fans, if you don't want your team, there are plenty of SoCal Ram fans who would welcome them back with open arms.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast