Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson finds fan absence hard to bear

I'm quite as pissed off about the monday night game fans as anyone else but I probably should point out something that may explain it.

St.Louis still remembers the days of the Arizona Cardinals and how they never had a winning season or did much at all to attempt one either. I think to some degree there are people in St.Louis (who I will not call fans) who see another Cardinals in the Rams because they have had two losing seasons.

When the Rams first moved here alot of people were asking the question of: "The Rams? Why on earth did we get the Rams?" Because of their record for the past...ten years or so.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I would suggest the Cardinals phobia may play into it at least to some degree.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I'm quite as pissed off about the monday night game fans as anyone else but I probably should point out something that may explain it.

St.Louis still remembers the days of the Arizona Cardinals and how they never had a winning season or did much at all to attempt one either. I think to some degree there are people in St.Louis (who I will not call fans) who see another Cardinals in the Rams because they have had two losing seasons.

When the Rams first moved here alot of people were asking the question of: "The Rams? Why on earth did we get the Rams?" Because of their record for the past...ten years or so.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I would suggest the Cardinals phobia may play into it at least to some degree.
    I think it's just a simple case of Bandwagonitis, and until the team starts playing to it's full potential, it will be the case the rest of the season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Excellent, I guess we will pick up this conversation in another 75 years after the Rams have been in St. Louis as long as the Packers have been in Green Bay.
    I knew there was an excuse for that one. Okay, let's wait 75 years before making a decision to be a real fan. Come on man, I've already been through one move with this team I don't want to see it happen again. So many excuses as to why not to support the Rams. How about we think of some reasons to support them. Like, making a difference on watching them play in front of a home stadium full of RAMS fans maybe that might help their confidence. Also maybe getting off your hands and cheering instead of sleeping through the game. Some people don't know what they have untill they lose it and you would think St. Louis fans would be experts on that subject.
    Just Fix It

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

You would think that wouldn't you?

Unfortunately I'd go to Rams games if I could, but aside from the drive (an hour, give or take) it's not really something I can afford on a regular basis. However, I think after this last game I'm going to see if I can get a trip to one of the games together before the season is out. I watch every game on TV (not the same, I know) including at work, I absolutely love the Rams and it irritates me to no end that people didn't bother showing on Monday. If you have season tickets...go to the games man, or give them to me.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised though, before the 1999 season they were booed at home all the time.

GSOT is offline Registered User

Man your missing the point.. STL has given the Rams great support for every year except this season. One season does not constitute them moving back to socal, cleveland or anywhere else! BTW if you really really research it you will find that the football franchise of the Rams actaully started somewhat in Saint Louis. The team that Homer Marshame bought was actually a team in STL called the Gunners he bought the players, coaches and move them to cleveland renaming them the Rams.. Now you wont find this on NFL.com or anything.

Krames41 is offline Registered User

We (MO Rams fans) never said we don't want the Rams. We said we wanted a Rams team that doesn't suck . There is nothing wrong with wanting your team to win whether you are a "true fan" as you put it or not. If you SoCal Rams fans think the Rams performances in the past two years are acceptable to the city or the fans of anywhere, you are pathetic. Personally I think Steven Jackson is right. I wish the fans in St. Louis would have a little bit more pride in the team. But, I also think that will come with time. The best way to build a faithful fan base is to have a tradition of winning (Yankees, Cardinals, Packers, Steelers, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Oklahoma Sooners, Ohio State, Notre Dame, ect.) Winning leads to memories, memories leads to a solid fan base. But the truth is the fans of St. Louis aren't being unreasonable. You can't ask a Missourian to pay that much money, have that ****ty of traffic leaving the games, that bad of an atmosphere, that bad of a team, and still be willing to cheer with a smile (I don't know maybe you Californians like to take it from behind with a smile like that). The SoCal people aren't going to these games every week, they don't live in our city, and they aren't witnessing this first hand (maybe for one week but not the whole season). I admire St. Louis for selling out every game since 1995 despite the high prices, bad atmosphere, bad location of the stadium, PSL's, ect. This isn't the same situation as when they played in LA so don't act like the SOCal people were showing up with pride despite having all of the same problems. If you would have showed up to the LA Rams games with the kind of pride you are pretending you have LA would still have the team. I watch the team every week, I go to games, and I live for the Rams, but the truth is the organization needs to make some changes if they want to continue to build a solid fan base. Watch, when the Rams start getting to the playoffs again the fan base will start to grow. When they get to another Super Bowl they will recruit even more. The Rams have only been here for a little more then ten years. When they first came here everyone ripped on them for sucking. When they got to the Superbowl half the people jumped on the bandwagon, and the other half refused to cheer because they were the ones ripping on them when they first got here. The truth is The Rams are just starting to grow on people. If they continue to be bad, it's gonna kill itself so they better get a little bit better soon. I got to witness the way St. Louis came together during the Superbowl years and rallied around the team. Every week during the playoffs the Rams were the number one news story. We had the toughest stadium to play in during those years. If your going to rip on us when we are down at least give us credit for when we are up (no one is mentioning that). Go Rams!!!

being a good fan means supporting your team when they are bad as well as good.

I live in Scoltand and have traveled to at least 3 games a year since 1984.

good or bad.

Dr MartinVonNostrand is offline Registered User

Not really one to court controversy but here goes ..

The way I figure it is that St louis has around 30 thousand good blue collar fans who get all blue and golded up. The rest is corporate seating.

And I figure that was true for the LA period as well.

"So she coughed."
    "Coughing? Naked? It's a turn-off, man."
    "Everything goes with naked."
    "When you cough there are thousands of unseen muscles that suddenly spring into action. It's like watching that fat guy catch a cannonball in his stomach in slow motion."
    "You spoiled spoiled man. You know how much mental energy I expend just trying to picture women naked?"
    "But the thing you don't realize is that there's good naked and bad naked. Naked hair brushing - good. Naked crouching - bad."

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    being a good fan means supporting your team when they are bad as well as good.

I live in Scoltand and have traveled to at least 3 games a year since 1984.

good or bad.
    Dez, if we had LESS than half an EJD filled with fans like you, we'd NEVER have to worry about losing home field advantage in our own house, never.

Forget about all the excuses, when a player who fights and scratches to give everything he's got in the heat of battle says there'e a problem with fan support, there's a problem with fan support.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'm with you, k41. It's like in the bleachers when we play the cubbies; but with no one standing up to the punks.

But don't blame the fans. Blame the Team. I'll tell you all something.... that game with Arizona...manoman. They mailed it in. It was a real walk through. Pathetic.

I fear it may have dammaged the franchise.

IS THERE NO HOPE? IS THERE NO ONE TO STAND IN THE BREECH AND SAY 'YOU SHALL NOT PASS'?

Jimmy Kennedy?

I think not.

p.s. Dr vanostrum, you're having a tough month dude. Although I'm a fan, you may need to seriously consider a new gig.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-14-2006 at 11:12 PM.
    "The horror"

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

If I lived near the Rams I'd attend every damn game, whatever their record.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

If every team moved when their fan support was down it would be a never ending carousel.

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Krames41 View Post
    We (MO Rams fans) never said we don't want the Rams. We said we wanted a Rams team that doesn't suck . There is nothing wrong with wanting your team to win whether you are a "true fan" as you put it or not. If you SoCal Rams fans think the Rams performances in the past two years are acceptable to the city or the fans of anywhere, you are pathetic. Personally I think Steven Jackson is right. I wish the fans in St. Louis would have a little bit more pride in the team. But, I also think that will come with time. The best way to build a faithful fan base is to have a tradition of winning (Yankees, Cardinals, Packers, Steelers, Nebraska Cornhuskers, Oklahoma Sooners, Ohio State, Notre Dame, ect.) Winning leads to memories, memories leads to a solid fan base. But the truth is the fans of St. Louis aren't being unreasonable. You can't ask a Missourian to pay that much money, have that ****ty of traffic leaving the games, that bad of an atmosphere, that bad of a team, and still be willing to cheer with a smile (I don't know maybe you Californians like to take it from behind with a smile like that).
    First of all I am NOT a Californian or from So-cal. I live in Las Vegas, we are mere mentions of any pro team moving here and it never happens. Secondly, I went to as many Rams games in California as I could when they were there which wasnt many. My parents were not rich and it's a 4 hour drive. Now though since Arizona came to our division I have missed 1 game since then. I used to rip So-Cal fans for the Rams moving and still think it's their fault. California supported the Whiners and Raiders the Rams were a red headed step child to them. You think the Rams are ****ty now, did you forget how bad they were from 95-99 before the Superbowl? The best way to build a faithful fan base is to be one from the beginning and stay that way. They won a freaking Superbowl for your city, there are still teams that havnt done that. Isnt that a memory that should lead to a solid fan base and support? Also calling So-cal fans pathetic is wrong and I think it was pathetic to slip taking it from behind into your post nice touch.

The SoCal people aren't going to these games every week, they don't live in our city, and they aren't witnessing this first hand (maybe for one week but not the whole season).
    They already witnessed it all the way untill 1994. Now they don't have a team because they did exactly what St. Louis fans are doing now they quit supporting them when times got rough.

I admire St. Louis for selling out every game since 1995 despite the high prices, bad atmosphere, bad location of the stadium, PSL's, ect. This isn't the same situation as when they played in LA so don't act like the SOCal people were showing up with pride despite having all of the same problems. If you would have showed up to the LA Rams games with the kind of pride you are pretending you have LA would still have the team. I watch the team every week, I go to games, and I live for the Rams, but the truth is the organization needs to make some changes if they want to continue to build a solid fan base.
    As I stated above I ripped L.A. fans for losing the Rams, As for questioning my pride that's rediculous because I wear my gear when we are 3-13 or 13-3 it doesnt matter to me. I was made fun of in grade school because no one could believe I was a Rams fan instead of a Raider,Niner or Cowboy fan. So don't question my pride, I'm not here to prove my loyalty to the team I am as loyal as they come.

Watch, when the Rams start getting to the playoffs again the fan base will start to grow.When they get to another Super Bowl they will recruit even more.
    I think thats the definition for fairweather fan you just described right there.

The Rams have only been here for a little more then ten years. When they first came here everyone ripped on them for sucking. When they got to the Superbowl half the people jumped on the bandwagon, and the other half refused to cheer because they were the ones ripping on them when they first got here. The truth is The Rams are just starting to grow on people. If they continue to be bad, it's gonna kill itself so they better get a little bit better soon. I got to witness the way St. Louis came together during the Superbowl years and rallied around the team. Every week during the playoffs the Rams were the number one news story. We had the toughest stadium to play in during those years. If your going to rip on us when we are down at least give us credit for when we are up (no one is mentioning that). Go Rams!!!
    As for the Rams growing on people what more do they have to do? They already won 1 Superbowl. They appeared in another Superbowl. They had one of the most exciting if not the most exciting offenses ever in the history of the NFL. What more could they have done? I also seen the support when the Rams were winning in St. Louis but the true sign of a true fan is where are you when the team is struggling? It's easy to support a team when they are winning. I'm not saying they arent playing bad now but they still need support from the fans in times like this. I really thought St. Louis fans would be experts on this after losing the Cardinals. Did they ever win you a Superbowl? The Rams did it within the first 5 year of being there. So dont give me all this crap of they have to prove something to us bull crap because it's an excuse. They WON A SUPERBOWL REMEMBER!!!
    Just Fix It

You can't ask a Missourian to pay that much money, have that ****ty of traffic leaving the games, that bad of an atmosphere, that bad of a team, and still be willing to cheer with a smile (I don't know maybe you Californians like to take it from behind with a smile like that). The SoCal people aren't going to these games every week, they don't live in our city, and they aren't witnessing this first hand (maybe for one week but not the whole season).
    That's the lamest and poorest excuse I've heard. I've been to four games in STL and it isn't as bad as you are putting it. If I did live closer to STL I would be a season ticket holder, and I would go to every home game. Hell, I even flown to other cities to watch my team.

Face it, the majority of so called Ram fans who live in the area are wagoners.

I was made fun of in grade school because no one could believe I was a Rams fan instead of a Raider,Niner or Cowboy fan. So don't question my pride, I'm not here to prove my loyalty to the team I am as loyal as they come.
    I share your pain rammiser; I still get crap at work for hanging my Rams banner proudly by my desk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast