schut39 is offline Registered User

Jackson Headed Toward Return

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

With two days of practice now under his belt, running back Steven Jackson seems poised for a return this weekend against Miami.

Jackson went thought Thursday’s practice as he did Wednesday’s practice and is officially listed as limited participation on the injury report. But all signs are pointing to Jackson starting and playing against the Dolphins.
    “I had two good days of practice, no major setbacks,” Jackson said. “The leg is a little sore but I was able to, I guess, give coach Haslett what he wanted to see. I guess that is all good, positive things going in the right direction.”

Jackson, of course, is still working to overcome the quadriceps injury he suffered on Oct. 19 against Dallas. That injury has cost him all of four games and the bulk of another.

Jackson attempted to come back two weeks after the injury against Arizona but rushed it and injured the thigh further. That set him back and forced coach Jim Haslett to implement a new set of rules for Jackson’s return.

Haslett asked that Jackson complete a full week of practice and prove that he can run at full speed and burst before he’d be allowed to play again.
    Jackson says he is well beyond the point he was when he practiced lightly in the week leading up to the game against the Cardinals.

“He said I had to practice to play so that’s what I intend on doing,” Jackson said. “I am light years ahead of that. I am able to cut, I am able to burst. I can do all of the agility things I need to do in the hole. I am light years ahead of how I was feeling that week.”

Jackson sat out again last week against Chicago but went through a strenuous workout last Saturday and had no repercussions on Sunday. He did another workout on Monday and that put him in position to practice this week.

Haslett and the coaching staff have ensured that Jackson’s repetitions have been limited this week but after two days, Haslett is still taking a cautious approach.

“As the practice wore on I thought it was better,” Haslett said. “I’ll talk to the coaches tonight and Steven to see how he is and make sure he’s 100 percent. I thought he was better as the practice wore on.”

Jackson will practice again Friday in the team’s short yardage and red zone practice but he still has some things to overcome to prove he’s at full health.

Jackson wants to push himself to make sure that he isn’t tentative if and when he gets on the field.

“That’s the next thing,” Jackson said. “Although I am practicing, I am still going to have to run through some arm tackles, drag some guys around. I think all of that will come in the weeks to come. The leg strength is there. We have been working on that since the injury happened. As the week goes by, comfort will come and the doubt in my mind will leave as well.”
    Should Jackson play as expected, it’s probably not realistic to expect him to run at the level he was when he injured himself at the end of a dynamic performance against Dallas.

“I’m pretty sure I’ll be a little rusty,” Jackson said. “But being able to run the ball hard and downhill…you have to be aggressive and that’s just the feel to the offense I am going to try to bring.”

Jackson seemed poised for a strong finish to his season after his performances against the Redskins and Cowboys.

Clearly, this injury has sidetracked those efforts but it has only made Jackson more eager to get back on the field this week against Miami.
    “I am very anxious to get out there,” Jackson said. “It’s been a long four weeks, a long season. To be able to finish strong would be ideal and hopefully get some more wins in the win column.

“I don’t know about the team but it will do a lot for me and my spirits right now. It’s been a long year for me and the team. These last five games, ideally I’d love to go out 5-0.”

PACE FINE: Left tackle Orlando Pace was upgraded from limited participation to full participation in Thursday’s practice as he continues to recover from a knee injury.

Pace practiced on a limited basis Wednesday but did everything on Thursday. He said he has no problems and is ahead of the schedule initially placed on him.

“I’m good to go,” Pace said. “It’s a lot better than I thought. I do (want to play).”

MIDDLE MUDDLE: Meanwhile, the situation at middle linebacker is less clear. Starter Will Witherspoon has a pair of injured shoulders and was limited in practice again on Thursday.

“We kind of limited him on snaps,” Haslett said. “He was doing some different things. We’ll see how he goes. He’ll play but I don’t know what the exact role (will be).”

Rookie David Vobora took the reps in place of Witherspoon and when asked whether Vobora could start in Witherspoon’s place, Haslett indicated it’s a real possibility.

INJURY REPORT: Receiver Keenan Burton (knee) returned to practice on a full basis Thursday after sitting out Wednesday’s workout.

Linebacker Chris Draft (foot) and cornerback Tye Hill (knee) did not participate and won’t play this week.

Defensive tackle Adam Carriker (shoulder) joined Jackson and Witherspoon as limited participation. Carriker is expected to play.

Quarterback Marc Bulger was upgraded to full participation along with Pace and Burton and defensive end Eric Moore is the same.

For Miami, tackle Jake Long (ankle) was upgraded to limited participation from full participation.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson Headed Toward Return

Tye Hill doesn't practice. Big surprise. To me, this is more frustrating to me than Jackson not practicing. This guy has been nothing but brittle since we drafted him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I hope Jackson does come back well. We need him out there. Bulger and Pace also need to be out there.

Things will hopefully look better for this team sunday...

LCannon28 is offline Registered User

Pittman seems to be doing quite fine. Though, Jackson's plethora of BEAST MODE overpowers Marshawn Lynch for sure. It would be great to have him back out there. Ken[nith?] Darby is pretty good too, quick little fellow. He just needs to wrap up the damn ball!