Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Jackson hopes Rams will add a fullback

Personally, I think Jackson needs to shut up and play. He got paid to perform, not to make excuses.

Posted on Sat, Dec. 27, 2008
    Jackson hopes Rams will add a fullback

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

A true fullback tops running back Steven Jackson's wish list for next season.

Asked what the St. Louis Rams need to get their fortunes turned around, Jackson pointed to an improved offensive line and a fullback.

"We need Richie Incognito plus three," Jackson said of the offensive line. "We need those big-time guys who are going to plow some things open, and we need a fullback with attitude. And, that's what I need."

The Rams have no true fullback on their roster. They cut fullback Dan Kreider, who had been ineffective, on Nov. 26.

The Rams use a tight end -- either Anthony Becht, Joe Klopfenstein or Daniel Fells -- whenever they have a formation that requires a fullback.

"I would love a fullback in the offense, a full-time fullback," Jackson said.

The Rams' last punishing lead blocker was Madison Hedgecock, who was cut by former coach Scott Linehan to make room on the roster for tight end/H-back Richard Owens early in the 2007 season. Owens was cut before the 2008 season, while Hedgecock has excelled as the lead blocker for the New York Giants.

"It would be nice to have a fullback," Rams coach Jim Haslett said. "I think Steven would love to have a full-time fullback, and I'd like to get him one. I think he needs one.

"I think if you have a running back like Steven with his stature and speed, and you're going to pay him that type of money, that's the guy you have to build your offense around. You have to match him up front with offensive linemen and you have to have receivers who are going to block and tight ends who are going to block, because that's the guy who you are going to hang your hat on."

Rookie could get his first NFL start

Rookie John Greco likely will be making his first NFL start this Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons since left guard Jacob Bell was unable to practice all week because of a hamstring injury.

Greco, a third-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, had some rough moments in the fourth quarter of the Rams' 17-16 loss to the San Francisco *****. He gave up a sack and then failed to block a blitzer who stopped Jackson for a 3-yard loss on a key draw play on the Rams' final offensive drive.

"I talked to him and he will be fine," Haslett said of the 6-foot-5, 325-pound Greco. "He is a young kid and he has a ways to go. He is going to be a good player. With his mass and size and athleticism, once he understands what you want out of him in the game, I think he will be a pretty good player."

Greco said he might have lost focus a little in the late going against the *****.

"The end of the game there at crunch time maybe I lost some focus and just got beat," Greco said. "I'm disappointed in a couple of plays at the end of the game, but you're going to have mistakes. I just have to try to get better."

Greco said his rookie season has been as challenging as he thought it would be.

"Everything I expected -- faster, quicker, more mental," Greco said. "I'm just glad to have a season under my belt. Now I know what to expect and I'll carry it over to the offseason and work."

Quick hits

Cornerback Fakhir Brown has been listed as questionable against the Falcons because of a sprained ankle.

If Brown can't play, second-year cornerback Jonathan Wade will start in his place.

Wade said he is ready if called upon.

"People go down in the NFL all time," Wade said. "That's what happens. It's a man's game, it's a rough game, and people will get injured. You have to stay focused so when you get a chance in practice, you have to be patient, and when you get to step into a game, (you) play at your best."

Right guard Richie Incognito didn't practice Friday. He was sent home with the stomach flu.

Haslett said Incognito was expected to be available against the Falcons, though he was listed as questionable on the Rams' injury report.

Haslett met with the nine members of the Rams' practice squad after practice.

"We're taking the practice squad guys on the Atlanta trip because they deserve to be on a trip," Haslett said. "We haven't taken them all year, and I was just trying to tell them to act like professionals, dress like professionals."

2007 Belleville News-Democrat and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson hopes Rams will add a fullback

I think SJ has a great point. Wasting our skill TEs on pass pro and blocking for the RBs has been a weakness for the Rams. Al Saunders had Hodgins with us back in the day and Pro Bowler Tony Richardson at KC. Kreider was a disaster. And who knows what the thinking was when they let Hedgecock go?

Adding insult to injury, most of the TEs have been poor in blocking duty; Klop, Becht, et al.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Yeah I would have to agree with Jackson. Releasing Madison was one of our biggest blunders of late, although the list is long.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Okay Jackson is probably right but I wish sometimes he would shut up about what he needs to succeed. The team knows and he doesn't need to go to the press with it. Sometimes I get this mental image of what I think Jackson wants, its 5 Probowl OL a ProBowl FB, two ProBowl TE's and an OC that calls run all day long. Then I get the image of Jackson taking his time dancing left and then right between back and forth taking his time and then going through a whole that I could drive a truck through. Then I think is he happy or could he find something else to complain about?
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -12-28-2008 at 03:35 AM.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I don't think Jackson needs to shut up whatsoever, he is asked questions and gives his opinion, not the standard pro athlete answer. You want to hear the same old practiced and rehearsed answer that Peyton and Romo give or do you want to hear the man's real thoughts. Whether or not what he says is right, wrong, detrimental, whatever, he says what he thinks.

What do you all make of this quote? "We need Richie Incognito plus three"

The O-line is five guys, is he fine with Pace and Richie and disappointed in the rest? Is it just a random number? Is he just talking about size alone?

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I believe that Jackson makes a valid point. Certainly, he talks alot. But he usually pays it off. He missed quite a bit of games this year, but he is near breaking 1,000.

I believe we need to add a FULL TIME fullback.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I believe we need to add a FULL TIME fullback.

For sure, for sure. ...James Hodgins, Madison Hedgecock. Those were that kind of FB!

[Even TE Ernie Conwell played good FB at times but that was a very different and more complicated setup under a very different offense.]

Yes, a SOLID FB would work wonders (possibly) not only for Jax but for the offense.

Any short list FB from the FA?

(On if he would like a fullback in the offense)
    I would love a fullback in this offense. I would love a full-time fullback.
    -- Coach Haslett

I wouldn't anticipate Coach JH transforming a TE to a FB, "a la Linehan" when he tried the Richard Owens experiment. For a minute I thought Daniel Fells played FB in college but no, he didn't.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-28-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: JH quote

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Okay Jackson is probably right but I wish sometimes he would shut up about what he needs to succeed. The team knows and he doesn't need to go to the press with it. Sometimes I get this mental image of what I think Jackson wants, its 5 Probowl OL a ProBowl FB, two ProBowl TE's and an OC that calls run all day long. Then I get the image of Jackson taking his time dancing left and then right between back and forth taking his time and then going through a whole that I could drive a truck through. Then I think is he happy or could he find something else to complain about?
    So really what is your problem with Jackson. He really doesnt talk that much and most of the stuff he says would result in team success. So why is it that some people read this and all they say is for him to just shut up? I just don't get it. For one the guy is absolutely right and if the team knew this we wouldnt have let Hedgecock go. So apparantly they didnt know this.

I have met the guy personally and found him to be one of the nicest pro's Ive ever come across. My son is pretty shy and he was able to get my son to be comfortable with him and got him behind the autograph signing booth and chilled with him for a minute. It was great, and I wasnt thinking that I wish he'd just shut up and play. He does play and his success results in teams success and he and everybody knows this. He just simply answers questions with an honest and factual answer. The guy isnt T.O. he isnt out there running his mouth and being a cancer to the locker room. I do know what his problem is though, he's following in the footsteps of Marshall Faulk. For some of you that doomed him in your eyes right away. I hope Jackson doesnt shut up and I hope he keeps irritating you guys for years to come. If that happens it means he is still worth interviewing and is still having success for this team.
    Just Fix It

Okay then, how about this....

Jackson gives back some of his money to help afford the players he feels that he needs to be successful?

Yes, we need a better line.

Yes, we need a 'real' Fullback.

Yes, these things cost money

Yes, there is too much money tied up in "premier" players (NOT soccer league here) and that leaves less for compensating the players which do the grunt work so the 'stars' can shine.

Jackson said nothing which wasn't true, I suppose, but these guys seem to forget they are just players paid to do a job and they need to do their job. Even in what they might consider to be adverse conditions.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Wow, tough crowd. Jackson's comments sound pretty innocuous to me. The guy has battled through injuries and it looks like he's got a good shot at 1000 yards despite missing several games and not exactly getting stellar support up front.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It always amazes me that Jackson can answer a question asked of him and everyone agrees with what he says, but people knock him for actually answering it. It's not like he's seeking reporters out to jab. The article was pretty specific - "Asked what the St. Louis Rams need to get their fortunes turned around, Jackson pointed to an improved offensive line and a fullback." He was asked, and he answered. Shame on him, I guess?

Anywho...

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Yes, these things cost money
    So do premier running backs. It's not as if a better line costs money, a real fullback costs money, but stud running backs can be had at a discount. You have to pay for everything, including the runner. So I don't get asking Jackson to give back money to afford these pieces.

The Rams made a mistake in cutting Madison Hedgecock without a true replacement for him. Owens didn't work, Krieder was a failure, and now we're just plugging in bodies there. A fullback isn't going to be expensive, but it's going to be needed in an offense centered around Jackson.

The Rams know this, I imagine, since they went after Krieder in the first place. They just need to do a better job in the pro player evaluation so when they do sign a fullback, he'll actually work out.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Looked pretty good today without one, but Darby was used some as a blocking back. Jackson was really cutting through those holes well though.
    Oh well, I'm glad Jackson looked healthy today and had been getting better, I was starting to worry about him some.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It always amazes me that Jackson can answer a question asked of him and everyone agrees with what he says, but people knock him for actually answering it. It's not like he's seeking reporters out to jab. The article was pretty specific - "Asked what the St. Louis Rams need to get their fortunes turned around, Jackson pointed to an improved offensive line and a fullback." He was asked, and he answered. Shame on him, I guess?

Anywho...

So do premier running backs. It's not as if a better line costs money, a real fullback costs money, but stud running backs can be had at a discount. You have to pay for everything, including the runner. So I don't get asking Jackson to give back money to afford these pieces.

The Rams made a mistake in cutting Madison Hedgecock without a true replacement for him. Owens didn't work, Krieder was a failure, and now we're just plugging in bodies there. A fullback isn't going to be expensive, but it's going to be needed in an offense centered around Jackson.

The Rams know this, I imagine, since they went after Krieder in the first place. They just need to do a better job in the pro player evaluation so when they do sign a fullback, he'll actually work out.
    I was just saying maybe he could help himself out by helping to fund better support so he could sign an even bigger contract next time.

Not only JAX but all "skill position" players who get their stats (and bucks) because of the work done in the trenches.

But then, when was life equitable?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Yeah I would have to agree with Jackson. Releasing Madison was one of our biggest blunders of late, although the list is long.
    Amen! What in the world made him cut Madison? Oh well no need to cry over spilled milk.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I disagree we need a vocal leader, someone to step up and say something, not to mention he's our best player so he can say whatever he wants as long as he keeps producing on the field, and not to mention the reason he was dancing earlier in the year was in part due to our poor run blocking.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I disagree we need a vocal leader, someone to step up and say something, not to mention he's our best player so he can say whatever he wants as long as he keeps producing on the field, and not to mention the reason he was dancing earlier in the year was in part due to our poor run blocking.
    A vocal leader is one thing but to point out glaring weak spots on the team is not much of a team player. When he basically says Incognito is the only OL doing anything then its a slight to the rest of the OL. There is no need to call out the OL to the media when the team has already acknowledged it as a weakness. I have not seen him as a vocal leader at all. He seems more like someone that just speaks his mind. Thats not a vocal leader a vocal leader is someone that tries building up his teammates and thats not done by saying we need 3 more Incognitos. A vocal leader normally speaks for the team and I know if I was on that team I would not want him to speak for me. Him saying that is not being a leader for the other three he is talking about replacing (Pace included). I do think he tries to be a leader on the field which IMO is more important.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -12-28-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast