Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    STLRAMSFAN Guest

Re: Jackson was hospitalized??

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Even if Roger asks you to use him sparingly so he can extend his career?
    When we started losing and Roger was only getting 2 innings I would push Roger until he told me it was too much. Roger is normally on 1-year contracts and could retire after each year much the same as Faulk he could retire at any time. My stance as manager would be a win first approach and if him being on the field gave me the best shot at winning I would let him know that and I am sure Roger if he is a winner he would take the mound. I believe Faulk is about the team winning first and if the team told him they needed him to win he would take the field.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a few articles here and there discussing Faulk playing with a few injuries over the past couple of months? Maybe, we're currently seeing where the load is too much for Marshall.
    I don't recall this but I bet you could say the same for 90% of the football players out there most are playing with some injuries through out the year. I have not heard of any injury that has stopped him from being able to play and he came into the season healthier then he has been in the last 3 years.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    I just don't see it being a controversy because no matter how good Faulk looked he was never going to be able to carry for 20-30 times a game. If Faulk was doing well with 10 carries a game then that's great, but there is a big difference between 10 carries and 20-30 carries which Faulk knows he can't handle so therefore we have no controversy we just have a better one two punch at RB if Faulk is doing well.
    If he was doing a lot better at 10 carries would you not try to stretch it to 15 and then 20 and then 25 carries a game. Would you not push more of the load onto him until you found his breaking point if it meant a better chance at winning.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I believe Faulk is about the team winning first and if the team told him they needed him to win he would take the field.
    Shouldn't we at least entertain the idea that maybe Faulk is not the team's best option at RB?

I know that sounds quasi-blasphemous, but Faulk is no longer the answer to our running game. Jackson is. This team stands a better chance of winning with Jackson as the starting RB over Faulk. Faulk understood that months ago, long before we starting debating all this, and that's why he asked to be the back-up.

Faulk knew last spring what was best for this team, and he acted on it. I think his recognition of that says as much about Faulk as anything he did between 99 and 01.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Shouldn't we at least entertain the idea that maybe Faulk is not the team's best option at RB?
    Yes we should just as we should always entertain putting our best players on the field. Jackson was given the bulk of the load this year and I think he has done okay for his second year next year he has to pick it up. Everyone keeps talking about things that contribute to some of his failures (OL, etc.) and I agree with a lot of those but I still have not seen him read the defense, block or receive very well yet. Some people say Faulk would not have done any better but the fact is he never was allowed a chance this year to truly contribute to this team. Maybe Jackson was the best choice to get the bulk of the load maybe Faulk was but we will never know who would have given us our best shot at winning games because we never truly gave Faulk a chance. If Faulk would have been given 10 carries a game then we could have decided a lot more about who gave us our best shot at winning each and every game. Not the games in the future because those belong to Mr. Jackson but the games this year should have had the best player on the field and IMO we don't know that Jackson was our best player to receive the bulk of the load for each individual game we were trying to win. I look at each game in the NFL as a 1 game playoff because every one counts more then in any other sport. One loss almost always means something in the NFL when you are trying to make the playoffs it can mean going or not or home field advantage in one or all the playoff games. Every game is a must win and you need your best players on the field.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -12-27-2005 at 11:19 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think Faulk is the best back to run on Area 51 section of the grassy knoll.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Vitt is an idiot. Even though Jackson wanted to play you still have to take credit in the circumstances the night before and tell him he isn't playing. He has to grow so (you know what) and take control of this. I completely respect Jackson doing this he just wanted to play. But if he is sick/was in the hospital the night before don't let him play.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I love conspiracy theories.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe Jackson was the best choice to get the bulk of the load maybe Faulk was but we will never know
    True, we will probably never know............however, Faulk and Martz knew last spring.
    I still have not seen him read the defense, block or receive very well yet.
    Well, he is young, and every young player takes time to read defenses well, however when a pair of D-lineman and a LB are on top of him a quarter-second after getting the hand-off, it's pretty easy to know what the defense is going to do. Second point, his blocking.....yea, he needs to improve his blocking, no question there. Third point, he isn't receiving the ball well? Here's where I have to take objection. Jackson has been one of the top receiving backs in the league, and not just in total receptions and receiving yards, but in rec. % as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12