throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson jaws about Martz

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    03/30/2006

Rams running back Steven Jackson says he wasn't always used the way he wanted to be used under former coach Mike Martz last season.
    (By Chris Lee/P-D)

Steven Jackson's first season as the Rams' primary running back wasn't at all what he expected. And he said part of the reason was that he spent much of the year in former coach Mike Martz's doghouse.

"For whatever reason it was, I don't know. But at times, it did feel that way," Jackson said Wednesday at Rams Park. "I wasn't getting the amount of touches that I wanted to get and I wasn't being used in the way I wanted to be used. ...

"You don't want to be in the doghouse with your head coach. No matter what you say about him or how you feel about him, that's the guy calling the plays, especially here. He was calling the plays. So, you don't want to be in the doghouse with a guy like Coach Martz."

Reached by telephone Wednesday in San Diego, Martz said Jackson "never was in my doghouse. There's an intensity and a focus we wanted out of him because he's a special athlete. We were always trying to apply that pressure and keep him motoring." Advertisement

Despite nagging injuries to his sternum and hip, Jackson rushed 254 times for 1,046 yards and caught 43 passes for 320 yards. That works out to an average of 19.8 "touches" - carries and catches - per game. Injuries kept him out of the season finale at Dallas.

With Martz and later Steve Fairchild calling the plays, the Rams passed 62.9 percent of the time last season, when they finished 6-10. Martz was sidelined for the final 10 games because of a heart-valve infection. Joe Vitt took over as interim head coach, and Fairchild, the offensive coordinator, assumed the play-calling duties.

Martz was fired in early January. About a month later, New Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli hired him as his offensive coordinator.

Martz's successor with the Rams, Scott Linehan, was the offensive coordinator and play caller last season in Miami. The Dolphins, who went 9-7, were more balanced - 56.7 percent passes and 43.3 percent runs. The Dolphins' leading backs, Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, combined for 424 touches and 1,975 yards.

Jackson, the Rams' first-round draft choice in 2004, said that with Linehan calling the plays for the Rams, "I'm expecting a lot more touches than the last couple of years. I'm expecting more balance and a different approach of attacking. But still an explosive offense. ...

"It seems like everyone is making me the focal point, which two years ago when I was drafted, that's what the plan was. We knew that eventually the team was going to be more geared and built around me, and now it seems like it's starting to come to the forefront."

Jackson said he thought that would happen last season, when he moved ahead of veteran Marshall Faulk on the depth chart. But Jackson said he wasn't given that chance.

Martz said part of the reason Jackson wasn't used more was due to health issues. In addition to the hip and sternum injuries last season, knee problems hobbled him for part of his rookie year.

"If you're going to be the centerpiece back, you've got to be able to stay in the game," Martz said. "But I'm sure the number of touches he has will escalate. He's a terrific back, and I think he has great things ahead of him."

Jackson got as many as 20 carries just three times: 20 for 97 yards vs. New Orleans, 25 for 110 vs. Houston and 25 for 179 vs. Jacksonville. The Rams were 2-1 in those games. He had 12 carries or fewer four times; the Rams went 1-3 in those contests.

A few days after carrying 11 times (for 24 yards) in a 24-9 loss to Washington, a frustrated Jackson - through reporters - implored Fairchild to "give me the ball." He taped a headline with those words in it over his locker stall at Rams Park.

Jackson said he'd discussed his displeasure with Martz, to little avail. "At times we did sit down and discuss what the problem is and were able to move on," he said. "But in the heat of the battle in games, it just seemed like I wasn't getting my touches."

But, Jackson emphasized, that's part of the past, as, he hopes, are his injuries. "The hip is fine, the sternum is fine. All those little minor things that I had at the end of the season have healed up pretty well ... no surgeries," he said, laughing.

And he said he's confident that Linehan will help him scratch the itch that he has for more work.

"I'm approaching it like, 'This is me getting a new beginning.' I feel like I've got a chance to start my career over," Jackson said. "If he's going to use me in the way that he used Ronnie and Ricky, I feel like this can be my breakout year."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson jaws about Martz

Quote Originally Posted by Coats
    Jackson got as many as 20 carries just three times: 20 for 97 yards vs. New Orleans, 25 for 110 vs. Houston and 25 for 179 vs. Jacksonville. The Rams were 2-1 in those games.
    Actually, we went 3-0 in those games, not 2-1.

Rams 28, Saints 17
    Rams 24, Jags 21
    Rams 33, Texans 27
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamWraith is offline Registered User

I think Jackson has a lot of potential, but I get this sinking feeling that it is all about him. Doesn't seem much like a team player and seems to always point a lot of fingers.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel like SJ needs the opportunity to prove himself or not. Obviously he has alot of confidence, it's a wait and see I guess.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

His statements did make me wonder a little ? I hope his confidence will so on the field...

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I think Jackson has a lot of potential, but I get this sinking feeling that it is all about him. Doesn't seem much like a team player and seems to always point a lot of fingers.
    I have to agree with you. We have been so used to our superstars being humble like Ellard, Bruce, Faulk, Warner, Holt. It's hard to swallow someone who isn't, especially since Jackson hasn't done anything to be a superstar but at times acts like he is. I hope we can chalk it up to just Jackson being young and he grows up a little. I remember Faulk with the Colts wasn't exactly Mr Humble but he learned as he got older.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RealRam is offline Registered User

I remember Faulk with the Colts wasn't exactly Mr Humble but he learned as he got older. --RamsBruce
    This is true and so, for our sake, I hope Marshall stays with us at least one more season. Jackson still needs personal / professional mentoring and Faulk is the man to help him grow up!

:clanram:

supachump is offline Registered User

Rams running back Steven Jackson says he wasn't always used the way he wanted to be used under former coach Mike Martz last season.
    Yea.. You know what ego-boy? You weren't the coach. Do your job as it is given to you and get over it.

rampete Guest

he has no more excuses...oh, maybe, except injuries again...

majorram is offline Registered User

Jackson needs to concertrate MORE on hitting those holes and NOT hesitating so much... before he starts mouthing Martz!!!!! there will be No excuses this year steven!!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

theodus69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    Jackson needs to concertrate MORE on hitting those holes and NOT hesitating so much... before he starts mouthing Martz!!!!! there will be No excuses this year steven!!!!

steve:clanram:
    You Damn right!!!!!You play as you are coached to play! It seems a little early in ones career to have that many injuries. Martz probably thought Jackson was a Baby! Anyhow, Jackson should get the go ahead to start and we will see what comes of it! Unless we draft a decent back to give Jackson a run at the job. Because in my eyes, Jackson is just a decent back!:tongue:

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    You Damn right!!!!!You play as you are coached to play! It seems a little early in ones career to have that many injuries. Martz probably thought Jackson was a Baby! Anyhow, Jackson should get the go ahead to start and we will see what comes of it! Unless we draft a decent back to give Jackson a run at the job. Because in my eyes, Jackson is just a decent back!:tongue:

I thought Jackson made a valid point a power runner being used as if Faulk was still in the backfield. Sweep right and sweep left arent exactly catering to jacksons strengths. Maybe the Bulls should have made Michael Jordan a center. Maybe the Lions should have made Barry Sanders a power runner. Ok Barry up the gut every time.
    Just Fix It

Varg6 is offline Registered User

face it, not all NFL players are all nice, most of these guys have been pampered all throughout highschool and college, and now make millions playing a sport. What do you expect, for them NOT to be cocky and ignorant? Some just are, face it, that's how people are, it gets to them, hopefully Jackson can back up his ignorant talking...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan16 Guest

Some stuff on SJ cut down

Rams | Jackson fully healed
    Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:47:27 -0800

Steve Korte, of the Belleville News-Democrat, reports St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson (sternum, hip) said the hip pointer and bruised sternum that bothered him late in the 2005 season have healed. He has been working hard in the weight room so he would be able to carry a heavier load.

Jeepers. How much bigger can he get? He said in an interview he is only 5% Body Fat and he is like 235-240lbs. He is going to be a monster.

Rams | Jackson believes he was in Martz's doghouse
    Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:36:23 -0800

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson felt he was in former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz's doghouse for much of the 2005 season. Jackson said, "For whatever reason it was, I don't know. But at times, it did feel that way. I wasn't getting the amount of touches that I wanted to get and I wasn't being used in the way I wanted to be used." Martz said Jackson has never been in his doghouse and said part of the reason he wasn't used more was because of health issues.

I can believe it.

RamJackson39 Guest

A few days after carrying 11 times (for 24 yards) in a 24-9 loss to Washington, a frustrated Jackson - through reporters - implored Fairchild to "give me the ball." He taped a headline with those words in it over his locker stall at Rams Park.
    I love that approach. It's frustrating as a Running Back to not get touches, especially when the offense has success when you do. I have no problem with him opening his mouth. He had a pretty good season last year despite not getting very many touches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast