RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson maintains low profile

Rams Seahawks

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/22/2008

SEATTLE It wasn't one of Steven Jackson's best performances as an NFL running back. But it wasn't bad, either.

"I had a pretty nice day," said Jackson, a five-year vet. "But this is the ultimate team sport, and it wasn't good enough."

Jackson's team the 0-3 Rams are floundering badly, and the frustration is growing as the losses accumulate. Sunday's 37-13 spanking at the hands of the NFC West-rival Seahawks left many in the hushed visitors' locker room searching for answers, if not scapegoats.

"A lot can be said, but I don't want to put myself in that position," Jackson explained. "I've done it over the years, and it really hasn't done anything. We're at the point now where we don't know where to go or where to look for direction."

Jackson was the top weapon on a day when the Rams produced a season-high yardage total. The sum was only 240 yards, however; the Rams brought the NFL's worst offense to the Great Northwest.

"I'm trying to not get negative with things not going the way I want them to," Jackson said. "There are some things I may question as a player, but ... I can't throw tantrums and be a distraction. I have to play hard and play tough."

Seahawks safety Deon Grant allowed Jackson that much. "He has speed, and he's very strong," Grant said. "You have to make sure you get him wrapped up."

Jackson wound up with 128 well-distributed yards on 28 "touches": five catches for 62 yards including a 50-yard sprint to the 5-yard line on a swing pass from Marc Bulger and 66 yards on 23 carries.

"He's one of those backs that needs all those touches," Bulger said. "Unfortunately for the third straight week, we come out slow and we get behind, and that kind of plays havoc with your game plan. ... We've got to get him going more, because he's probably our most explosive player."

An average of 2.9 yards a carry doesn't equal explosive, however. Jackson had consistent success inside but couldn't find much room on the perimeter.

"I think that's their defensive team. It's tough to try to get to the edge on those guys because they're built for it," tackle Orlando Pace said. "Their linebackers run well, so you've to go right at those guys downhill. We did that pretty well."

The Rams have produced just two touchdowns this year, but at least they finally got snaps in the red zone (inside the opponent's 20-yard line), something that wasn't accomplished in the first two games.

"As we come together and as we continue to play, I think (offensive coordinator Al Saunders) is figuring us out, and he's figuring out what we can do," center Nick Leckey said. "We're learning our identity."

But winless and having been outscored by a 4-1 ratio 116-29 - the Rams won't be afforded much more patience.

"We've just got to get it done," tackle Alex Barron said. "Steven's a great player, and want to get him the touches he deserves. We've just got to be better as a team."

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson maintains low profile

The best series of playcalls was when they ran a sweep with Jackson to the left side and wound up with no yards and then the very next play, they ran it to the right and wound up with -3 yds. Freakin' brilliant.

BTW,

Jackson spent more time dancing around our backfield than he did running north and south, so I'm thinking he's including the East and West running as part of his "Nice Game."

Baldybouncer is offline Registered User

Here's a crazy thought, let's see if we can bring in Stephen Davis to show Jackson how to run through a hole because IIRC Jackson had his best year when Davis was showing him how to do that!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    The best series of playcalls was when they ran a sweep with Jackson to the left side and wound up with no yards and then the very next play, they ran it to the right and wound up with -3 yds. Freakin' brilliant.

BTW,

Jackson spent more time dancing around our backfield than he did running north and south, so I'm thinking he's including the East and West running as part of his "Nice Game."
    Steven Jackson must be auditioning for DANCING with the STARS.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"I had a pretty nice day," said Jackson
    No Steve, no you didn't.

You had one nice reception where you managed to roll out of a pair of tackles for the 50 yarder. So you had a nice play. Not a nice day.

You, Steve, you are 30th in yards per game. Maybe we should holdout on your contract until you play like you're paid.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Wow, the first word out of his mouth is "I".

"I had a pretty nice day, but..." tells you

"I come first...BUT now I'm supposed to mention something about team".

For Jackson, there is a bunch of "I's" in TEAM. - TIIM.

I'm gonna start calling him Stivin Jicksin" .....cause there's ONLY "I"'s in Jackson.

...I had a pretty nice day??? No wonder we suck. This guy is a pompus joke.

If Marshall had 100 yards rushing, and 80 yards receiving, and 2 TD's in a loss, he would not have started his comments off with "I". This guy's day was pathetic.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post

BTW,

Man I saw that crap too...you have a 6'2" 240lbs. running back and you run him on two sweeps back to back against a fast/swarming defense???? At that point I stopped watching the game. Al, what are you doing baby, this isn't Priest or Marshall!!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Man I saw that crap too...you have a 6'2" 240lbs. running back and you run him on two sweeps back to back against a fast/swarming defense???? At that point I stopped watching the game. Al, what are you doing baby, this isn't Priest or Marshall!!!
    Don't know whats worse? The playcalling, or fans who quit watching the game midway thru?

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "...We're at the point now where we don't know where to go or where to look for direction."
    I realize everyone is caught up in SJ's "self love", but does this comment bother anyone else as much as it does me??
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I think that comment tells you exactly what's going on. The coaching staff is dazed and confused, which means so are the players. There is no leadership.