RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson may not play

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/25/2008

The sight of running back Steven Jackson in uniform and on the practice field Friday was encouraging for the Rams, but coach Jim Haslett estimated Jackson's chances of playing Sunday at New England at "probably 50-50."

"It'll be a game-day decision," Haslett explained. "He took limited reps. He doesn't need a lot of reps, because he knows everything."

Jackson strained a muscle in his right thigh late in the Rams' 34-14 victory over Dallas last Sunday. Still, he rushed for 160 yards, scored three touchdowns, and was named the NFC offensive player of the week. He had not suited up for practice until Friday, when he did individual drills and took a few snaps in the 11-on-11 team periods.
    MORE RAMS
    BUY TICKETS: All Rams games in '08
    SOUND OFF: Rams Talk forum
    BLOG: Around The Horns
    CHATS: Jim Thomas Live
    P-D PHOTOS: Rams galleries
    P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Rams coverage

On Wednesday, Jackson said the injury was "definitely going in the right direction." He wasn't available to reporters Friday.

Jackson was listed as questionable on the final injury report of the week, as were defensive tackle Adam Carriker (ankle), cornerback Tye Hill (knee) and wide receiver Derek Stanley (concussion). Tackle Orlando Pace (thigh) and running back Antonio Pittman (leg) were probable. Wide receiver Drew Bennett (foot) and safety Todd Johnson (kidney) won't play.

CARRIKER IMPROVING

Carriker, who sprained his left ankle against the Cowboys, also practiced for the first time this week. Like Jackson, he got in for a handful of plays.

"It was all right; we'll see how it goes on Sunday," Carriker said. "I've been getting treatment like crazy and a little bit of strengthening here and there. Just trying to let it recover and get healthy."

Haslett said Jackson and Carriker were "in the same boat. We'll work them both out on game day and see how they are."

Determining exactly when an injury has healed enough can be difficult, Carriker acknowledged. "It's a fine line," he said. "I want to play, but at the same time I don't need to blow my ankle out and be done for a long time."

STANLEY IS READY

Despite being listed as questionable Friday, Stanley is expected to be on the 45-man active roster Sunday. "He's ready to go," Haslett said. "He'll be doing some special teams and also get involved in the offense."

Stanley was knocked unconscious while trying to cover a punt against the Cowboys and was checked out at a hospital afterward. He received a medical clearance on Thursday.

LOOKING GOOD

Playing in just his second NFL game, tight end Daniel Fells heard his number called Sunday with the Rams at the Dallas 2-yard line. His heart started pumping a little quicker, he said.

"The first thing was, this guy (linebacker Greg Ellis) looks a little bit bigger than he did on film," Fells said. "But other than that, it was, 'OK, I know my assignment. I've got to do what I've got to do to get off this guy.'"

Quarterback Marc Bulger threw to Fells in the end zone, but Fells never had a chance to make the catch because Ellis had him wrapped up. "I knew he was going to try to hold me ... he got a real good grip on me," Fells said.

Ellis was flagged, and Jackson scored from the 1 on the next play, putting the Rams up 21-7 late in the first quarter.

Fells was signed off Tampa Bay's practice squad Oct. 6, the same day the Rams put their No. 1 tight end, Randy McMichael, on injured reserve with a broken leg. Fells also was on the practice squads in Atlanta and Oakland but never had gotten into a regular-season game until he saw special-teams action Oct. 12 vs. Washington.

He has been a busy and impressive receiver at practice and figures to be targeted more often as he's mixed into the offense.

"They told me they wanted to kind of work me in ... not just throw me out there," said Fells, who's 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds. "I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the offense, so I'm ready to go."

Said Bulger, "He has a lot of skills, with his hands and his great body movement. Losing Randy was a huge blow, but I think if we can get (Fells) going the next couple of weeks, he can be that receiver at that position."

RAM-BLINGS

The Patriots have won the past two games in the series with the Rams, which stands at 5-5. ... Haslett was 0-2 vs. the Pats as the New Orleans Saints coach. ... Defensive tackle La'Roi Glover has appeared in 181 consecutive games, the sixth-longest streak among active players.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson may not play

What happened to Klopfenstein? Did this Fells guy just walk right in and took his job like that or?

kingshmegland is offline Registered User

well w/ jackson out it help us out. btw its going to rain saturday night and all day sunday.

eldfan is offline Registered User

John Clayton espn reported on Sat morning he will try to give it a go.
    :ramlogo: