eldfan is offline Registered User

Jackson misses another practice

Jackson misses another practice

Story Discussion BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:00 am |

Rams running back Steven Jackson missed practice again Wednesday and his status is uncertain for Sunday.

St. Louis Rams running back Steven Jackson, who injured a groin muscle Sunday vs. Washington, sat out of practice Thursday for a second consecutive day.

Jackson's status for Sunday's game vs. Seattle remains uncertain and Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has said Jackson is "day to day."

If Jackson were unable to play, backup RB Kenneth Darby likely would get the bulk of the work Sunday.

With no guarantee that either Jackson or RB Keith Toston (shoulder) will be able to play Sunday, the Rams on Tuesday signed running back Chauncey Washington off the New York Jets' practice squad.

Washington, 5-11, 215 pounds, was a seventh-round draft pick by Jacksonville in 2008. He has played in only eight NFL games -- six for Jacksonville in 2008 and two for Dallas last season. He has only four carries for 9 yards, plus one reception in his NFL career.

:ramlogo:

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson misses another practice

My gut says he will be ready to play, Jackson always is. However if for any reason there is a possibility to make the injury worse then I think spags should sit him. As we saw from last year, Aaron curry and Sjax dont like each other, you can bet he will be gunning for an injury if he has the chance,

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Was anybody expecting him to practice? Seems like it's a given he won't practice at all this week. I'm leaning toward sitting him this week and letting him recover, or using him sparingly for key plays. If he aggravates this thing, we're going to be in trouble.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson (groin) acknowledged Thursday that he might need to miss this week's game to get healthy for the long haul.

Jackson revealed that he's yet to attempt to run this week. He'd like to get in at least one practice on Friday, though he concedes that he'll be a game-time decision at best this week. After those comments, it's hard to get excited about Jackson as a RB2 even if he attempts to play this week. Sep. 30 - 4:04 pm et

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Steven Jackson (groin) acknowledged Thursday that he might need to miss this week's game to get healthy for the long haul.
    This is the right way to look at it. Having him play if he doesn't think he's completely healed would be a major tactical mistake. He would not only be tentative and most likely ineffective, but would further aggravate the injury and put the entire season at risk. As Jackson said himself, we need him for the long haul.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Just keep Jax out of the game this Sunday and allow him to heal better.

As I implied elsewhere, "sacrifice" Jackson's contribution for this week's offense in lieu of him being healthier / stronger for next game rather than worsening or, at best, risking the injury. Give Darby the best chance of his career so far and really put him in there to run tough Vs. Sawks. Chauncy, you're in too, give it your best!

Rams coaches, please. I hope SJ will be in street clothes for this game. It's not like we're in the playoffs. Yet.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-30-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Smiley

eldfan is offline Registered User

Updated: Jackson misses second practice
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:00 am

"The leg's still tight; the groin's still tight," Jackson told reporters Thursday afternoon. "It's one of those injuries where just time is what is going to heal the injury. And the most I can do now is still mentally prepare myself is if I'm going to go Sunday, and help Chauncey (Washington) or some of the younger backs that may need some advice."

Jackson's status for Sunday's game vs. Seattle remains uncertain and Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo continues to call the two-time Pro Bowler "day to day."

"It's still a little bit sore," Spagnuolo said. "We'll wait and see waht happens."

If Jackson were unable to play, backup RB Kenneth Darby likely would get the bulk of the work Sunday.

With no guarantee that either Jackson or RB Keith Toston (shoulder) will be able to play Sunday, the Rams on Tuesday signed running back Chauncey Washington off the New York Jets' practice squad. But Toston has practiced all week and looks good to go for the Seahawks game
    :ramlogo:

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Just keep Jax out of the game this Sunday and allow him to heal better.

As I implied elsewhere, "sacrifice" Jackson's contribution for this week's offense in lieu of him being healthier / stronger for next game rather than worsening or, at best, risking the injury. Give Darby the best chance of his career so far and really put him in there to run tough Vs. Sawks. Chauncy, you're in too, give it your best!

Rams coaches, please. I hope SJ will be in street clothes for this game. It's not like we're in the playoffs. Yet.
    We need jackson for the playoffs is what you meant. I have enough faith in darby i am starting him in my fantasy league.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I only want Jackson to play if he feels great... if he were to worsen that groin injury it would put him out several weeks, but if he isn't feeling any pain I don't see why he couldn't give it a try.
    Darby looked good enough last week where we should still be OK at RB... but I would really like to see Jackson out there if he's healthy!