Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Jackson Named NFC POM

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

RB JACKSON EARNS NFC OFFENSIVE

PLAYER OF THE MONTH AWARD

ST. LOUIS – Rams’ RB Steven Jackson’s performance in the 2006 season’s final month earned him NFC Offensive Player of the Month honors, the NFL announced today.

Jackson, in his third NFL season out of Oregon State, started the month of December with a 21-carry, 96-yard performance vs. Arizona in Week 13, as he added nine receptions for 69 yards. In that game he went over the 1,000-yard mark for the season, giving him his second straight 1,000-yard rushing season. He followed up that performance with another balanced effort vs. Chicago in Week 14 on Monday Night Football, rushing 18 times for 81 yards with one touchdown, and making 10 receptions for 58 yards and another touchdown.

After those first two games in December, Jackson closed the season with three straight 100-yard rushing games, a career-high. In the Rams’ 20-0 shutout victory at Oakland in Week 14, Jackson rushed 31 times for 127 yards and two touchdowns, his second career two-touchdown game on the ground. The following week, Jackson established a new career high with 33 carries for 150 yards with one touchdown, adding six receptions for 102 yards and another touchdown vs. Washington in Week 16. Jackson became the sixth player since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger to gain at least 150 rushing yards and 100 receiving yards in the same game, also becoming the first player in Rams’ history to have that 100 and 100 mark.

Jackson finished strong at Minnesota in Week 17, rushing 25 times for 142 yards with a career-high three touchdowns, adding two receptions for 24 yards and another score. The four touchdowns tied a franchise-record, as it last happened vs. Seattle on Oct. 20, 2002 by Marshall Faulk. It was also the Rams’ first three-touchdown rushing game since Faulk did it vs. Minnesota on Nov. 30, 2003.

Over the last month of the season, Jackson led the NFL with seven rushing touchdowns, 849 yards from scrimmage, 10 scrimmage touchdowns, and an average of 169.8 in scrimmage yards. The Pro Bowl selection finished the season with 2,334 yards from scrimmage, fifth-best in NFL history (second-best in Rams’ history), and 1,528 rushing yards, fourth-best in Rams’ history.

Barry Waller

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson Named NFC POM

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Pro Bowl selection finished the season with 2,334 yards from scrimmage, fifth-best in NFL history (second-best in Rams’ history), and 1,528 rushing yards, fourth-best in Rams’ history.
    And yet he isnt even being talked about for offensive player of the year in some places...

Yeah its LTs prize already, but Jackson should be looked at

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Have to say it is ridiculous how Jackson has been overlooked for consideration for offensive player of the year and how those stupid hacks don't have him in or even mentioned for their team of the year..:l

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll say it again. Thank you Mike Martz for drafting SJ.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Yeah SJ is a great player,but Martz wasted far to many picks for my liking..He was bound to get 1 good player(law of average)..Remember Canidate,AA,D.lewis,Kennedy ETC..:l

RealRam is offline Registered User

81~BG, unfortunately we -- in this case our MVP SJ -- get little added recognition aside from the cold stats simply because we were too often under the 'L' column, whereas an "LT", per se, made the bigtime headline because his team kept winning.

That's why LT appears in TV commercials and our own Stevie doesn't. / Yet.

As for Coach Madness selecting/drafting Jax, I agree with LARAM0: "Thank You!" As you mentioned, by law of average, what are the odds a player like this can be found and forged into achieving true stardom, true success in the NFL while lifting an entire team?

IMO, one Steven Jackson makes up for 10 average or under average candidates in our roster.
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-05-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Content

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    All credit where credit is due just one must accept the blame for one's shortsightedness.

But then even a blind dog finds the occasional bone?

RnD

GO RAMS!!:l

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I'd argue that he is the NFC Offensive Player of the Year.
    RamsFan16

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I'd argue that he is the NFC Offensive Player of the Year.
    I think you would have a valid argument, but these types of awards historically go to playoff team members.

So I suppose if the Rams had managed to close out agains the Squabs or show up vs the Leinart or the whiners Jackson might have had a shot at it.

RnD

GO RAMS!!:l

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    And yet he isnt even being talked about for offensive player of the year in some places...

Yeah its LTs prize already, but Jackson should be looked at
    Well he did get 1 vote for Off. Player of the Year.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Jackson had a great year and erased all of my preseason doubts. I think he's a great fit for this offense and he really surprized me with how adept he is at consistantly catching the ball(100/100!!! Nice!).

That being said, I don't think Jackson deserves the OMVP of the NFL or NFC. LT is so obvious that I don't understand the "SJ should be considered" feelings. Why would he be considered? LT should be a unanimous pick. In just the NFC I would agree that SJ should be considered(do they even have conference offensive/defenseive player of the year awards?) but would ultimately give the award to Frank Gore for what he was able to do this year. SF has nothing else on offense and he was still able to lead the NFC in rushing. That gives him the edge over SJ for an award in my opinion.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Gore didnt have the all around season that jackson had. The pass catching has to count. I also think sf had a better oline than we did for much of the year. FUrthermore, brees would win the offensive player of the year in the nfc, given that he led his team to a terrific record and put up great numbers. None of that takes away from the spectacular season that the big boy had.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moklerman is offline Registered User

I could see giving it to Brees but I still think Gore did the most with the least. His o-line may or may not have been better than the Rams' but he put up 2,200 total yards and 9 td's with a qb that didn't get to 3,000 yards(in 16 games) and no 1,000 wr. I'm not arguing that Gore was an obvious or easy choice over Jackson in this hypothetical just that the final edge would go to Gore from me. Jackson's 2,300 and 16 td's far exceeds anything I expected from him and the Rams' offense was pretty darned good all the way around this year. Next year, barring injury, should be even better with more experience for the youngsters on the o-line and all of them in the 2nd year of this system.

There have been some great stories in the NFC this year but nothing compares to LT's ridiculous year. I can still remember when Emmitt hit 20 td's and everyone thought that it was unheard of. Even further back, didn't Dickerson score 18 one year? Those still seem like big numbers to me. 31...in 14 games! It doesn't even seem real.