r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jackson Not Clamoring To Escape Losing Rams

Jackson not clamoring to escape losing Rams

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
    4 hours, 44 minutes ago

He plays on a blatantly rebuilding team which has lost 15 consecutive games, and he’s a 26-year-old running back on pace for a 1,443-yard season.

Steven Jackson can do the grisly math, and that’s why he wasn’t especially caught off guard Thursday night when I asked him if he thought the St. Louis Rams might deal him to another team before Tuesday’s NFL trading deadline – which, incidentally, is the one-year anniversary of their last victory.

”It really wouldn’t surprise me,” Jackson said. ”A couple of years ago I saw Isaac Bruce(notes) get let go and end up on the *****, and I realized anything is possible in this business. So I just put my head down and play hard and try to win games for the St. Louis Rams – and I want to be a St. Louis Ram for as long as they’ll have me.

”At the same time, I’m very aware of the business side of this game. Last year, I went through a holdout, so I learned all about the business side first-hand. If I get that phone call that I’ve been shipped out, I’ll roll with it. But I’ve laid a lot of groundwork here and I think we’re turning it around, and I’d like to reap the benefits when we do.”

In previous years, the notion of a team dumping a high-priced, consistently productive star like Jackson in October would have been almost inconceivable. I still think such a move would be a longshot, but it’s at least in the realm of possibility, because NFL teams are more receptive to in-season wheeling and dealing than they’ve been in the past.

Chalk it up to a combination of desperation (teams like the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers, New York Jets and San Diego Chargers are either in win-now mode or run by general managers and/or coaches desperate to save their jobs), opportunity (there’s an inordinate number of truly awful teams with no realistic hope of contending this year) and economics (with an uncapped year looming, and a potential lockout after that, teams can take more chances than usual in terms of salary structure). Oh, and the 2010 NFL draft crop is being billed as a strong one, which makes those picks more valuable.

Even general managers skeptical of parting with those precious picks had to have their appetites whetted by last week’s trade between the Cleveland Browns and Jets that brought talented, 26-year-old wideout Braylon Edwards(notes) to the Big Apple. After more than a year’s worth of substandard performances, Edwards delivered in his first game with the Jets (who sent two players and a pair of draft picks, reportedly in the third and fifth rounds, to Cleveland). He caught five passes for 64 yards and a touchdown and made plays which set up two more scores in a Monday night defeat to the Miami Dolphins.

Suddenly, the Jets have the potential big-time receiver they’d been lacking and harbor visions of competing for an AFC title, while the 1-4 Browns are better positioned to retool for next season. It’s all very baseball-esque: A team that has given up on its season unloads an established veteran to a contender in exchange for prospects (often, in this case, of the undrafted variety).

However, this being the NFL, there are some mitigating factors. First, the deadline occurs so early in the season that, under normal conditions, teams rarely are ready to abandon hope. In 2009, though, there are plenty of woebegone losers (like the Rams) that absolutely should. Secondly, as last year’s Dolphins reminded us, swift and dramatic turnarounds are entirely possible in this era, so getting rid of an all-purpose stud like Jackson could come back to burn the franchise if the team’s fortunes change in a hurry.

Jackson, who’s fourth in the NFL with 451 rushing yards despite playing for the league’s 28th-ranked offense, is understandably frustrated. But he’s also convinced that first-year coach Steve Spagnuolo is in the process of building a winner.

”I’ve really bought into the direction of this team,” Jackson said. ”For guys to want to follow a leader, you have to give them a vision – you have to show them the way. I believe Coach Spags has that GPS for a winning franchise.”

Jackson isn’t basing his faith in Spagnoulo on the first-year coach’s prior success as the New York Giants’ defensive coordinator, saying, ”I’ve played for a lot of coaches here, and they all had impressive track records – so no, that alone isn’t reason to buy in. But I see a team that’s learning how to be disciplined and mentally sharp, and although we’re not scoring, this team is actually a better team than we’ve had for the last couple of seasons.

”It’s kind of like when you clean your closet out. You’ve got to make a bigger mess before you get organized. That’s what we’re going through right now.”

The problem is that, as Spagnuolo tidies up, Jackson is getting pummeled. Last week, in the midst of a 38-10 beat down by the Vikings, the halfback actually provoked sympathy from his opponents. ”I was down,” he recalled, ”and some Vikings came over and picked me up off the ground. They were like, ‘Are you OK, man?’ Like they felt bad for me. Talk about a low point.”

As he forges ahead toward his fifth consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season, Jackson envisions the bright future that he believes awaits the struggling Rams.

”When we turn it around, man, it’ll be so great,” he said. ”I just hope I’m not washed up when it happens.”

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson Not Clamoring To Escape Losing Rams

Jackson has had a tendency to run his mouth in the past, and I think a lot of people have (myself included) have tried to decipher whether it was because he had a little bit of a prima donna attitude or because he is just so passionate that he speaks his mind when it's not necessarily PC to do so.

I think his attitude this season especially should clear it up for anybody in doubt - this guy plays his heart out and when he speaks out it's because he's dedicated to this team, not to himself. It would be so easy for this guy to cry and whine about the support he hasn't gotten - even "classy" players like Holt started whining a lot when we started losing. I think the fact that we flat out suck right now and he still says in no uncertain terms that he wants to be a Ram is really telling.

Kudos to him being one of the leaders that we need right now.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -10-16-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit submit half-way through

shower beers is offline Registered User

I've always enjoyed reading what Jackson has to say. He's not going to sugar coat it, or be PC about it, but he's not going to embarrass his team or coaching staff either.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Jackson
    I believe Coach Spags has that GPS for a winning franchise
    A response for the digital age.

I've never had a real problem with what Jackson says, and I certainly can't complain about anything he's said here. In fact, this is pretty much spot on IMO:

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Jackson
    ”It’s kind of like when you clean your closet out. You’ve got to make a bigger mess before you get organized. That’s what we’re going through right now.”

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Spagnolo has said from the very beginning that he wanted to develop a strong running attack utilizing Steven Jackson. The possibility that Jackson might be traded seems extremely remote. If Jackson were 29, maybe a case could be made .. He isn't .. He's just entering his prime. It looks as if we'll be drafting very high (top five) next year. We'll have a good shot at landing 2 or 3 impact players, plus whatever we can scoop in free agency in 2010. Jackson will still be around to tell Spags who to draft then, after all, he lobbied heavily for Jason Smith in the 09 draft with solid results ...

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

maybe Steven is growing up and he understands now that he is the leader of this team and knows that when this does turn around he will become an even bigger star,he's doing pretty good already.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

It would have to be a Herschel Walker style to get Jackson from us, and i think we would need multiple first round picks. Anything less isnt enough.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Spagnolo has said from the very beginning that he wanted to develop a strong running attack utilizing Steven Jackson. The possibility that Jackson might be traded seems extremely remote. If Jackson were 29, maybe a case could be made .. He isn't .. He's just entering his prime. It looks as if we'll be drafting very high (top five) next year. We'll have a good shot at landing 2 or 3 impact players, plus whatever we can scoop in free agency in 2010. Jackson will still be around to tell Spags who to draft then, after all, he lobbied heavily for Jason Smith in the 09 draft with solid results ...
    That is the way I see it to, he needs a SJ type back if he did not have SJ he would be looking for someone like him.
    :ramlogo:

rammiser is offline Registered User

This better not happen. How much of a cap hit would we take? Also no less than two first round choices next year for this guy. Then how do we sign 3 first round draft choices when we are already hamstrung as it is? This team has a chance to improve by next year, why would we trade the only real star on this team only to have to draft another one next year. I could understand if we had some younger up and coming running back but we dont. Also Jackson is only 26 and should have quite a few good years left in him.
    Just Fix It

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Word is that he's being shopped around, not sure who is interested other than several AFC teams.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Word is that he's being shopped around, not sure who is interested other than several AFC teams.
    Really? Whose word? Speculation is all I've heard .. Can you elaborate ??

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This trading Jackson talk makes me sick, this guy works his arse off in a very tough situation, yet people still *****. Its crap like this which could tell Jackson is it worth
    being here ?
    Imagine Jackson playing for any of the contenders- he would be killing teams.
    BE careful what you wish for??

BEER is offline Registered User

It sucks to say, but it is the right thing to do. Trade him while he still has
    value. If we trade him 2 years from now he will be worth maybe a 4th round
    pick and we will still be a 8n8 team. "WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE RAMS"