Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Jackson not proven? Look at the numbers.

I've read posts here and elsewhere expressing the opinion that Jackson has not proven himself worthy of a top $ contract. The numbers tell another story.

Question: How many RBs in the NFL have exceeded 1,000 yards rushing in each of the last three seasons?

Answer: Five. That's right, only five. This is significant because it shows just how hard it is to sustain production at the RB spot in this league.

Now, looking at those five backs (some of the names might surprise you), here's the ranking in total yards per scrimmage per game over that three year period:

LaDainian Tomlinson: 127.2
    Steven Jackson: 115.7
    Willie Parker 100.3
    Edgerrin James 98.8
    Thomas Jones 86.8

Add to this stat another factor - age - and it becomes obvious why Jackson has such a big price tag:

Edgerrin James: 30
    Thomas Jones: 29
    LaDainian Tomlinson: 29
    Willie Parker: 27
    Steven Jackson: 25

Bottom line: if any RB is worth a big contract, its Jackson. Guys like Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden are getting huge deals by virtue of being drafted in the top 10. Players like Shaun Alexander have received big contracts as they approached the downside of their careers.

Jackson is a proven back with several good years left.

Pay the man.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson not proven? Look at the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've read posts here and elsewhere expressing the opinion that Jackson has not proven himself worthy of a top $ contract. The numbers tell another story.

Question: How many RBs in the NFL have exceeded 1,000 yards rushing in each of the last three seasons?

Answer: Five. That's right, only five. This is significant because it shows just how hard it is to sustain production at the RB spot in this league.

Now, looking at those five backs (some of the names might surprise you), here's the ranking in total yards per scrimmage per game over that three year period:

LaDainian Tomlinson: 127.2
    Steven Jackson: 115.7
    Willie Parker 100.3
    Edgerrin James 98.8
    Thomas Jones 86.8

Add to this stat another factor - age - and it becomes obvious why Jackson has such a big price tag:

Edgerrin James: 30
    Thomas Jones: 29
    LaDainian Tomlinson: 29
    Willie Parker: 27
    Steven Jackson: 25

Bottom line: if any RB is worth a big contract, its Jackson. Guys like Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden are getting huge deals by virtue of being drafted in the top 10. Players like Shaun Alexander have received big contracts as they approached the downside of their careers.

Jackson is a proven back with several good years left.

Pay the man.
    Havnt you learned yet Avenger? Stats only count when talking about anyone but Bulger and Jackson. When it comes to Bulger and Jackson you have to talk about leadership and intangibles because those things win ball games.
    Just Fix It

general counsel is offline Registered User

He is certainly a lot more proven than mcfaddin, who just got 26 million guaranteed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

If You Think Jackson Is Unproven........

Turn up the volume and give this video another screening. If it doesn't tell the story and get your blood pumping, nothing will.

YouTube - Steven Jackson

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Not many have said that Jackson doesn't deserve a big(ger) contract. Not even the Rams. In fact, the Rams offered him a very big contract, which he refused to accept. The contract they offered would have put him in the top 4 in the league, which is where I believe he belongs. If he gets his butt into camp, like he's been told, he will get his money. The Rams will "pay the man", when the man gets into camp. It still comes down to the fact that he already has a contract, and he should honor it. When he comes into camp, the Rams then must honor their commitment to renegotiate a new contract.

...this is why I don't care about pro sports as much as I used to. I don't know how those poor, poor athletes can feed their families on just 1.7 mil a year. It's a crime I tell ya.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    He is certainly a lot more proven than mcfaddin, who just got 26 million guaranteed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Yeah, but honestly- just because Al Davis is an idiot means that all the other teams need to follow in his footsteps?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Not many have said that Jackson doesn't deserve a big(ger) contract. Not even the Rams. In fact, the Rams offered him a very big contract, which he refused to accept. The contract they offered would have put him in the top 4 in the league, which is where I believe he belongs. If he gets his butt into camp, like he's been told, he will get his money. The Rams will "pay the man", when the man gets into camp. It still comes down to the fact that he already has a contract, and he should honor it. When he comes into camp, the Rams then must honor their commitment to renegotiate a new contract.

...this is why I don't care about pro sports as much as I used to. I don't know how those poor, poor athletes can feed their families on just 1.7 mil a year. It's a crime I tell ya.
    if McFadden who hasn't played one down in the league can get 26 mil. Then Jackson who ran 1000 yards injured not playing all the games in a season is worth 20. There are backs who have played 16 games who don't have 1000 yards. So please with all this hating. Don't hate on another man because he has the opportunity to make millions.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    if McFadden who hasn't played one down in the league can get 26 mil. Then Jackson who ran 1000 yards injured not playing all the games in a season is worth 20. There are backs who have played 16 games who don't have 1000 yards. So please with all this hating. Don't hate on another man because he has the opportunity to make millions.
    As a previous post stated...

Just 'cuz one idiot pays out that kind of money to an unproven back, don't mean the rest have to follow. McFadden certainly isn't worth the kind of money he got.

It has nothing to do about "hating" Jackson. I understand it's all about the money. Afterall, it's a me-me-me world we live in. If you read my post, I made a point of stating that my biggest problem with all this is the fact that Jackson HAS a contract, and should honor it, not whether he should get more money, or how much. Remember, this is the same guy that berated the fans last year for selling their tickets to Bears and Packer fans. He thought the fans should show more loyalty to the team. He couldn't understand why the fans would want to sell their tickets to make some extra cash. He questioned their loyalty!! ...isn't that a laugh?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Just 'cuz one idiot pays out that kind of money to an unproven back, don't mean the rest have to follow. McFadden certainly isn't worth the kind of money he got.
    Problem is, it's not just one idiot setting the market in that range for a franchise running back. LT received $21 million guaranteed four years ago when he signed his extension. Larry Johnson just got $19 million last fall with his extension. Adrian Peterson received $17 million in guarantees as a rookie. And now McFadden gets his big pay day.

Remember, this is the same guy that berated the fans last year for selling their tickets to Bears and Packer fans. He thought the fans should show more loyalty to the team. He couldn't understand why the fans would want to sell their tickets to make some extra cash. He questioned their loyalty!! ...isn't that a laugh?
    If Jackson holds out of regular season games, I think this will be a legitimate argument.

Until then, I see a pretty big difference between (a) Jackson holding out of practices while being fined and (b) fans selling regular season home game tickets to fans of the opposing team to get their money back if not make money.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Fans are not breaching their contracts by selling their tix to someone else (especially if they arent doing it above face value). Jackson is in breach, a fact that numerous people fail to mention time and again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Dominating D is offline Registered User

I just do not put alot of stock in Running Backs in this league. Starting RB's are not hard to find and alot of them can be drafted mid to late 1st round and even further down.... Please do not assume I do not like Jackson cause you would be wrong he is one of my favorite RAMS. But I feel the smart choice is not to over pay this position. Lets see what happens......

Why give up so much of the salary cap on one position that can easily be replace in the draft iee.... Addai and E. James , Lynch and McGahee, Cadallic and Graham, Green and Grant, Parker and Bettis, must I go on???????

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Fans are not breaching their contracts by selling their tix to someone else (especially if they arent doing it above face value). Jackson is in breach, a fact that numerous people fail to mention time and again.
    You're right. That's one of many differences that make the two situations less than comparable.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    I just do not put alot of stock in Running Backs in this league. Starting RB's are not hard to find and alot of them can be drafted mid to late 1st round and even further down.... Please do not assume I do not like Jackson cause you would be wrong he is one of my favorite RAMS. But I feel the smart choice is not to over pay this position. Lets see what happens......

Why give up so much of the salary cap on one position that can easily be replace in the draft iee.... Addai and E. James , Lynch and McGahee, Cadallic and Graham, Green and Grant, Parker and Bettis, must I go on???????
    I'd have to agree.

In fact, I mentioned awhile ago that I'd rather trade the guy than break the bank for him.

It would be nice to have more money for that Dominating D!!

But most think that Jackson is the bomb and deserves a mint. Yet he was offered a deal that was more than fair and snubbed his nose.

Not even Jackson could salvage much from last seasons disaster along the offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Yet he was offered a deal that was more than fair
    How did you come to the conclusion that it was more than fair? All that was reported about the deal was that it would put him among the top running backs financially. That's pretty vague though, wouldn't you say? The terms of the deal were not released, neither were the actual figures.

How then can one conclude it was fair or more than fair based on such little actual information?

Aries51 is offline Registered User

Jackson is a proven running back,but I dont think he is a proven team player or winner.Granted,he hasnt exactly played for a Super Bowl contender,but I feel he has biotched more than produced winning results.This is just my opinion.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast