Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Jackson saw little action vs. Seahawks

Jackson saw little action vs. Seahawks
    BY JIM THOMAS | Posted: Monday, January 3, 2011 12:25 am

SEATTLE • So where was Steven Jackson? With a playoff berth on the line in the biggest game of the year, one would think the team's only Pro Bowl player would be a central part of the game plan.

But that wasn't the case. Jackson entered the game ranked fourth in the NFC with 1,196 rushing yards, and after 15 games had more touches than anyone in the league with 361 carries and receptions. But he finished with just 11 carries for 45 yards in Sunday's 16-6 loss to Seattle, even though it was a one-score game until the last of Olindo Mare's three field goals with 1 minute, 37 seconds left to play.

On only one occasion has Jackson had fewer carries this year, and that came in Game 3 against Washington when he left before halftime with a groin injury. (Jackson had 10 carries for 58 yards in that one.)

The old Jackson would've complained about his role in the offense, but that wasn't the case in the locker room afterward.

"I just try to make the most of the carries when my number's called - receiving or rushing, I just try to make the most of it," Jackson said. "And try to make something happen for the offense and for the team."

Jackson also had four catches for 39 yards, giving him 15 touches total. He entered the game averaging 24 touches.

Making Jackson's light workload all the more puzzling was the fact that Seattle hasn't exactly been a juggernaut defending the run this season, ranking 22nd in the NFL in yards allowed on the ground entering Sunday's game.

Fullback Mike Karney, who went four games without dressing, had twice as many carries in the first quarter as Jackson (two to one). And in two red zone possessions, Jackson touched the ball once.

Crowd not a factor

Qwest Field easily was the Rams' loudest venue of the season. But the Rams didn't have to go to the silent count and were guilty of just one false start and one delay of game penalty.

"I thought that's one thing that we did handle well tonight was the crowd noise," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "We never really had any issues with it. We were able to communicate at the line when he had to check. I thought our guys did a great job of handling that and paying attention to me when I did need to change things."

Hoomanawanui plays

After missing four games with a high ankle sprain, tight end Mike Hoomanawanui was in uniform for the Rams on Sunday and saw spot duty. He had no catches and no balls thrown his way.

Sitting it out

Rams inactives were DT Jermell Cudjo, WR Mardy Gilyard, OG John Greco, LB Curtis Johnson, CB Justin King, S Michale Lewis, LB David Nixon and TE Derek Schouman.

Among the inactives for Seattle was WR Brandon Stokley (concussion), who entered Sunday's game as the Seahawks' third-leading receiver, with 31 catches.

Ram-blings

Rams owner Stan Kroenke was at Qwest Field to take in Sunday's game. Kroenke and NBC announcer Al Michaels are good friends. Also in attendance was former St. Louis University basketball coach Lorenzo Romar, now head coach at the University of Washington.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson saw little action vs. Seahawks

Sdfadfa asdfdsfadfs
    Last edited by itsguud; -01-05-2011 at 10:37 PM.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Having been at the game I can tell everyone here that Jackson had absolutely no where to move out there. Every play he face an 8 man front.
    SJ39 has faced that all season. That never stopped his number from being called so much before.

SJ39's limited workload was without a doubt the coaching staff's most perplexing decision in the game last night, IMO.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Steven Jackson was suffering from some sort of health issue that he and everyone else was hiding?

Very strange, and very disappointing.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    SJ39 has faced that all season. That never stopped his number from being called so much before.

SJ39's limited workload was without a doubt the coaching staff's most perplexing decision in the game last night, IMO.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Steven Jackson was suffering from some sort of health issue that he and everyone else was hiding?

Very strange, and very disappointing.
    If did not look like a health issue. He still ran like a beast. It looked more like they were trying to exploit the single coverage on the outsides and the quick hits to TEs. None of those players ever made plays. Also time of position was heavily favorored to SEA save fir one long drive by the rams.