Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Jackson says Rams need to be ready to battle blitz ..

Arizona will try to rattle Bradford in his first NFL start
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Running back Steven Jackson said the St. Louis Rams can't be "scared of the blitz'' Sunday in their season opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

Jackson expects the Cardinals to blitz often in an attempt to unnerve rookie quarterback Sam Bradford.

"They're going to come after us, and they're going to try to rattle Sam,'' Jackson said. "When those things present themselves, we have to execute. We have to protect him and we have to take advantage of it. It's either feast or famine. We can't be intimidated or scared of the blitz. We have to embrace it, and make sure of what we are doing from a mental standpoint, and we'll be just fine.''

Asked if Bradford seemed any different this week preparing for his first NFL game, Jackson said, "I think that's more of a question for Sam. From the outside looking in, he looks just fine."

Though there is more a buzz among fans, especially with the addition of Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, Jackson had more of a tempered optimism going into his sixth season with the Rams.

"To be honest with you, I think the optimism is a little more on the outside than what is going on in the building,'' Jackson said.

Jackson said he was "very excited'' about what the Rams are capable of accomplishing this season, and he sees the game Sunday as the first of 16 tests to prove that the progress the team showed in the preseason will carry "over to the games that matter.''

Jackson cautioned about getting too carried away over the team's 3-1 record in the preseason, even though the starting offense was extremely productive with Bradford at the helm in the final two games.

"I've learned to take the thing day-by-day,'' Jackson said. "I don't get too up and I don't get too down. I'm pretty even keel with it. I feel like this group is ready to take care of business, and that's what we are here to do Sunday. We're going to go out and play hard, and I think the outcome is going to be one that we are going to be proud of.

"But, we can't get too excited. We can't buy into what the preseason is. It is just that, the preseason.''

Jackson, who has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in a club-record five straight seasons, said the Rams' starting offensive line eventually could be molded into a special unit.

"On the offensive line, we are very talented,'' Jackson said. "Although we have two young guys (Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith) on the edges, we have a very athletic group, some guys who are very (proud) about their play. When you have someone like (right guard) Adam Goldberg and (backup center) Hank (Fraley), that's the catalyst and captains to help groom those young guys. We're going to be just fine.

"It's a group that throughout the year, if they continue to stay healthy and play together, I think we'll have one of the finest."

Jackson and free safety Oshiomogho Atogwe were voted captains by their teammates Wednesday.

"Being voted captain, it's something that you feel like guys are starting to understand and see where you're trying to take the team,'' Jackson said. "All I can do from here is continue to lead by example. Not so much talk, but lead by example and show these young guys you've got to block everything out and take it one day at a time."

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson says Rams need to be ready to battle blitz ..

Jackson and OJ captains??? - I love it. Good for OJ to retain captain status. And I am sure with lau having more say this year he will basicly be a captain out there as well with the D

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I love Steven. He is honestly the second coming of God. So glad I have his jersey. BLEED BLUE AND GOLD BOYS!

GOOOO RAMSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I expect the cards to blitz coming out of the tunnel. There is one sure fire remedy for that- a couple of well timed screens to the Big Boy. If we can get the Big Boy loose in their secondary, he can do some major damage. Dump offs, draws, etc. Obviously bradford needs to get rid of the ball quickly, and staying out of 3rd and long would sure help a lot. Nothing helps a rookie qb (or any qb for that matter) more than an effective running game.

By the way, i sure hope we have a game plan for dealing with adrian wilson, who is an all time ram killer.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Jackson and OJ captains??? - I love it. Good for OJ to retain captain status. And I am sure with lau having more say this year he will basicly be a captain out there as well with the D
    He's pretty much the unofficial defensive captain at this point, which is good for us.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

This game is huge in terms of Bradford's psyche, as well as that of the team. There is no doubt the Cardinals are going to throw everything they can at Bradford, and how he handles it could very well define his season. He made some extremely quick reads in the face of several blitzes during the preseason, and if his teammates do their jobs and execute, I'm confident he'll be able to do the same on Sunday.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The TE's will play a major role Sunday.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

The TE's and Jax in the passing game, definitely Tx. I was watching NFL Live yesterday and they were highlighting "man blitzing" where if the back comes up and blocks the blitzer, then the guy who was assigned the running back in coverage becomes the blitzer and rushed the quarterback. What one of the hosts asked then was what happened if the back only "chipped" the blitzer and then went out on a pattern, and basically the answer was, he's open.

And that's exactly what I want to see from Jackson all day on Sunday. Chip the pass rush to slow them down, but then get out into the flat or on a short curl and give Bradford that nice checkdown. When Jax caught 90 passes in 2006 we went 8-8. Let's replicate that success!
    I believe!

Keenum is offline Registered User

If they are going to blitz, there should be some quick open passes to Jackson, "Uh-oh" and the other TEs. I can't get out of my head how horrible AZs defense was in the playoffs though, they got a lot of talent, but if they play this year like they did at the end of last year, Bradford and Jackson could have HUGE days...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Easy.

Just keep Bradford in shotgun, and let him throw screens to Jackson and dumps to Uh Oh and Oh No.

macrammer is offline Registered User

With the right QB and offensive design, you can beat the blitz. Let's see what we are made of. Time to rock and roll.....

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I can't get out of my head how horrible AZs defense was in the playoffs though, they got a lot of talent, but if they play this year like they did at the end of last year, Bradford and Jackson could have HUGE days...
    I've thought the same thing too, but, if you look a little closer at the offenses they were going against (Gb and NO) those are two of the most explosive in the game today.

It was in all likelihood a case of superior firepower overwhelming a pretty good defense.

We will have our hands full this suns-day with the Tards defense.

We gotta come with our chin straps buckled.

WHAT SAY YE?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This game is huge in terms of Bradford's psyche, as well as that of the team. There is no doubt the Cardinals are going to throw everything they can at Bradford, and how he handles it could very well define his season. He made some extremely quick reads in the face of several blitzes during the preseason, and if his teammates do their jobs and execute, I'm confident he'll be able to do the same on Sunday.
    Sure, it's a big game, division opponents & incumbent NFCW champs an' all, but unless Sam gets hurt, I seriously doubt it will define his season.As SJ said, one day at a time.

Win or lose, I think it will help accelerate his learning process. Let's face it, if Sam isn't a better NFL QB by game #16, we will know that we picked the wrong guy or, at least, still haven't fixed the problems that derailed his predecessors to a large extent. I would be shocked & dismayed by that much more than a struggle on this first Sunday, given the marked improvement we saw in preseason from the whole team.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Lock 'n Load. Hope I can find a decent stream to watch!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Sure, it's a big game, division opponents & incumbent NFCW champs an' all, but unless Sam gets hurt, I seriously doubt it will define his season.As SJ said, one day at a time.
    I will admit, it looks to me that if any rookie quarterback can keep his head in the face of adversity, it's Bradford. He's one cool customer. I'd still like to see him get off to a good start, with his teammates doing their jobs and earning their young QB's trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast