Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson seeks peace with fans

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/22/2008

Steven Jackson has fresh legs and a fresh contract. Now, he wants a fresh start — with Rams fans in St. Louis.

"I do understand everyone has their own opinion," Jackson said Thursday. "But I think if I can continue to play in the manner that I have in the (previous) four years, and stay healthy on the field, I think all will be forgiven.

"A lot of time, we're hard on our loved ones, and I consider my fans my loved ones. So some things I should take back. And I do apologize for my statements for being a little critical of them."

Then, he added with a laugh, "But I do want them to be in the (stands), too."

Last year, Jackson criticized Rams fans for selling their tickets to Green Bay and Pittsburgh fans for games at the Edward Jones Dome. Those remarks seemed hypocritical when Jackson was a no-show for the first 27 days of training camp and the preseason.

Jackson will not play in Saturday's preseason game against the visiting Baltimore Ravens. In fact, the Rams have sought a roster exemption for Jackson when they get to the league-mandated 75-man

roster limit Tuesday. (The only way Jackson is exempt is if he doesn't play Saturday.)

Jackson's first appearance before the home fans won't be until the regular-season home opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 14. What kind of reception does Jackson expect from the home fans?

"Definitely … mixed reviews," he said. "When you're talking about this kind of money, a lot of people can't really understand why you can turn your back on a contract. Business is business."

Business was very good for Jackson on Thursday. According to league sources, Jackson signed a six-year, $44 million contract. Of that total, just over $20 million is guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus.

But the final two years of the contract can be voided — by either the Rams or Jackson — if Jackson achieves certain performance levels in the first four years. If years No. 5 and 6 are indeed voided, Jackson's contract becomes a four-year deal worth just under $30 million.

As for the approximately $400,000 in fines Jackson has accumulated during his holdout, it will be deducted from his paycheck this season, according to league sources.

Whether the contract length ends up being four years or six, Jackson's deal puts him among the five highest-paid running backs in the NFL. Which is how it should be, said Rams president of football operations-general manager Jay Zygmunt.

"This was one of our priorities for the offseason, to get an extension for Steven Jackson," Zygmunt said. "We believe his skills as a running back and a receiver, and his age (25), really make him one of the elite backs in the league. We're excited for our fans to be able to see a player of this caliber."

Jackson's agent — Eugene Parker — said he appreciated the fact that the Rams refrained from any public posturing or name-calling during the holdout and the negotiation process.

"A critical piece of getting this done was Jay Zygmunt's professional approach in handling what could have been a very difficult negotiation," Parker said. "That enabled us to trust one another, and that enabled us to break the stalemate."

Zygmunt and Parker haven't done a ton of business in recent years, so it's not as if they were familiar with their respective negotiating styles. As Parker saw it, it was a bit of a leap of faith for Jackson to report based on a promise that talks would proceed once Jackson reported.

"It couldn't be just window dressing to get him in," Parker said.

Turns out it wasn't window dressing. Hours before Jackson's flight arrived in St. Louis on Wednesday night, both parties had hammered out the framework of a deal.

"I think both parties did a great job of being respectful of one another," Jackson said. "No one came out and was dirty publicly like some teams have been towards other players."

Now Jackson must show he's worth the money. He took part in his first practice Thursday at Rams Park, although he did little work during "team" periods.

Expectations?

"I don't think there are any more expectations than the 2,500 yards I predicted last year," Jackson said, poking fun at himself. "I'm anticipating to come out, play hard, and run, block and catch. Just be a football player. That's what I am at the end of the day."

No goals?

"No goals," Jackson said. "I just hope to lead my team to a playoff berth."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson seeks peace with fans

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/22/2008

Zygmunt and Parker haven't done a ton of business in recent years, so it's not as if they were familiar with their respective negotiating styles. As Parker saw it, it was a bit of a leap of faith for Jackson to report based on a promise that talks would proceed once Jackson reported.

"It couldn't be just window dressing to get him in," Parker said.

Turns out it wasn't window dressing. Hours before Jackson's flight arrived in St. Louis on Wednesday night, both parties had hammered out the framework of a deal.

"I think both parties did a great job of being respectful of one another," Jackson said. "No one came out and was dirty publicly like some teams have been towards other players."
    So the RAMS kept their "promise" and the deal was done just like they said it would be. To bad a mans signature isn't as solid as a verbal promise.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So the RAMS kept their "promise" and the deal was done just like they said it would be. To bad a mans signature isn't as solid as a verbal promise.
    Guess the fans aren't quite seeking peace with Jackson yet.

Wolf is offline Registered User

It was good to read he has put his focus of personal goals aside to focus on the team goal of a playoff berth.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's not a matter of peace; for me at least as I am not at war with Steven Jackson. I disagree with his position to sell out his name, but that is nothing more than my personal stance on Jackson the man. For example....
    Jackson's first appearance before the home fans won't be until the regular-season home opener against the New York Giants on Sept. 14. What kind of reception does Jackson expect from the home fans?
    ...as one who will be in attendance for this point in time, I can say that I will be cheering my head off for Steven Jackson. I hope the Rams win, and Jackson runs for 6,000 yards and 45 TDs that day. I'm not going to boo him, or boycott him, or suggest he be cut or traded. As long as he is a Ram, I will be a SJ fan. However, statements like this...
    "When you're talking about this kind of money, a lot of people can't really understand why you can turn your back on a contract. Business is business."
    ....lead me to believe he still doesn't get it. I hope, for his sake, that this is simply a function of being young. Hopefully, as he matures, he will grow out of it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I can't speak for the fan(s) but I know of one fan that wasn't impressed.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I'm happy that Jackson is back in uniform and on the practice field. I know he's going to bring us more victories and more chances than if he sat out. With him on the field, we always play better. When he plays, he makes the others around him play better. I hope the line plays as they did against San Diego. Certainly, it wasnt the Chargers starting defensive line, but I saw great things coming from our front five. If they can play like that, Jackson should have some year.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Pretty much proves how futile and needless the whole holdout thing was. The deal sounds like it's just about the deal everyone expected and he'd have gotten the same deal a couple of weeks sooner if he'd showed up. Instead he chose to damage the team and then go get (what I think is) essentially the same deal he would have had anyway. Not smart.

If Jackson suffers some stupid injury like a high ankle sprain or pulled hamstring in the beginning of the season or if he just doesn't play as well as expected I know a lot of fans are going to be wondering if his holdout didn't play a part in that, and I will too. It might have happened anyway, but I believe the chances are higher now that he's out of game shape.

I'm through criticising Jackson for now though, we got the deal done, he's a ram. Let's move on to the season.

supachump is offline Registered User

So, he isn't even playing in the first game of the season? Jeebus.

This is one fan that isn't forgiving him this easily. He better have a good year and shut his mouth in order to get my respect.

Wolf is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    So, he isn't even playing in the first game of the season? Jeebus.

This is one fan that isn't forgiving him this easily. He better have a good year and shut his mouth in order to get my respect.
    Where are you getting he won't play first game of the season?

I think you got confused with them saying the first home game he'll play at wont be until they face the Giants.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Nothing wrong with setting goals gives you focus.
    :ramlogo:

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post

Nothing wrong with setting goals gives you focus.

Isn't that a goal, though?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

JackASSon isn't much of speaker of wisdom so to speak, But he just needs to shut up ,take his shots from the fans and prove them wrong. Tall order , but winning changes everything!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

schut39 is offline Registered User

I already posted this are you going to delete your own thread like you did with mine or are you going to delete mine again and be completely unfair. Even if it isnt the same article completely you still did it to me when I didn't have the same article as another one.

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    JackASSon isn't much of speaker of wisdom so to speak, But he just needs to shut up ,take his shots from the fans and prove them wrong. Tall order , but winning changes everything!!!!!!
    like it....Jackson has a lot to prove this season...we needed this guy right at the start and ready to go in camp, it will be interesting to see how he plays at the Eagles.... after this pointless holdout.... The FO did a great job

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast