AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Jackson Signing Could Have Huge Ripple Effect

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

While nobody is thrilled with the path we had to travel to get to this point, signing Steven Jackson (which, I presume, will happen within days), to a long term deal is, well... a really big deal.

If the Rams didn't do this now, they'd be faced with a choice of using the franchise tag (a short term fix, at best) or potentially losing Jackson to free agency next year.

Now, they can focus on extending other players, such as O.J. Atogwe and (if he improves) possibly Alex Barron. Otherwise, the core is fairly set from a contractual standpoint.

Jackson's presence also makes huge difference on the field. Without him, nobody would fear the Rams' running game, and Bulger would have a bullseye on his back on every play. With him, teams have to be more balanced defensively, which will open things up for the passing game.

Some may harbor a grudge against Jackson for his holdout. Of course, when he starts breaking big runs in September, all will be forgiven.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson Signing Could Have Huge Ripple Effect

I have not posted in ages on this site but well said could not agree more...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I agree Av. And welcome back. My "hold out" didn't last as long. The game against the Titans came along, and I was frustrated. Besides, no one cares if I'm gone. To the others, its like losing Marques Hagans. haha.

But I hope he does make big plays.

Will51 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

While nobody is thrilled with the path we had to travel to get to this point, signing Steven Jackson (which, I presume, will happen within days), to a long term deal is, well... a really big deal.

If the Rams didn't do this now, they'd be faced with a choice of using the franchise tag (a short term fix, at best) or potentially losing Jackson to free agency next year.

Now, they can focus on extending other players, such as O.J. Atogwe and (if he improves) possibly Alex Barron. Otherwise, the core is fairly set from a contractual standpoint.

Jackson's presence also makes huge difference on the field. Without him, nobody would fear the Rams' running game, and Bulger would have a bullseye on his back on every play. With him, teams have to be more balanced defensively, which will open things up for the passing game.

Some may harbor a grudge against Jackson for his holdout. Of course, when he starts breaking big runs in September, all will be forgiven.

read my previous post, i said the same thing

RANDYRAM Guest

I hope Steven Jackson makes as many big plays as he does $$.$$$.$$$ and hope he never fumbles again!!!

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Besides, no one cares if I'm gone. To the others, its like losing Marques Hagans. haha.

That's not true, Mooselini! I would miss your posts. And i'm sure others would as well.
    You are an independent thinker. You don't mind getting knocked around if others don't agree with you!
    You should be proud!

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -08-21-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: wasn't done yet...

Josh Guest

I would miss your posts too.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

OJ is an FA next year and Barron the year after not sure if he is an RFA or UFA. Regardless both years we aren't going to have a ton of money under the cap because of the ramifications of this pick, unless guys like T. Holt, Pace, Bennett, or Pisa leave, retire, or are forced out.

Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I for one am so happy to see SJ back w/ the team, maybe him being back will get Bulger going.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Will51 View Post
    read my previous post, i said the same thing
    Yeah AV. You remember that post 6 days ago in a thread title that doesn't even mention Jackson....don't you? No...well here it is in case you missed it.....

6 Days Ago
    Will51 Status: Online

Im disgusted... Please read!!!!
    I cant believe how the rams front office is handling the jackson scenario. He needs to be paid, he is a pro-bowler, he led the league in yards from scrimmage and he's young. He is the staple to our offense and with out him we will not operate well. Many dont understand that if he dont play it affects us big time. Coordinators will drop coverage against our young suspect recievers and they will load the box to attack bulger. Without him our passin attack will look mediocre and our o-line needs him to play up to their potential. Our run would be non existant. I remember a quote from a packer player last year after we got done playing them " ive played against many backs but this guy is truly a beast and you can tell adrian peterson i said that" Jackson is the only back of his work horse kind that displays the speed that he does and his recieveing skills are hard to come by. He is basically flawless and needs to be paid now or we will pay this up comin season.
    Last edited by bigredman; -08-21-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]