MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jackson still iffy for Bears game

BY JIM THOMAS

Rams running back Steven Jackson missed practice for the second day in a row Thursday because of a groin injury, but he's still holding out hope he can play Sunday in Chicago.

"I'm not 100 percent, but I'm day-to-day," Jackson said. "The injury is not as significant as we once thought it was, and we're just going to go from there. I still have another three days before the game. So each and every day buys me time."

Not unlike his quad injury that occurred on a 47-yard touchdown run to start the 2011 season against Philadelphia, Jackson suffered the groin pull Sunday in the open field, untouched on a 20-yard run against Washington.

"It happened on that particular run right there," Jackson said. "It was just another freak deal we've been in this situation before. Groins, quads are the things that tend to bother me from time to time.

"I'm not bothered by it, I'm not depressed by it. I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel on Sunday. Coach (Jeff) Fisher has given me the chance to still be able to play, so I'm going to continue to take care of myself and see what happens on Sunday."

Fisher doesn't have a "no-practice/no-play" policy, particularly when it comes to a veteran such as Jackson.

"Be realistic," Fisher said. "I mean, Steven's been in the league how many years? He knows his body. He knows this offense. I'm not concerned about that. Now, you treat everybody different. It'd be different if you had a rookie that didn't practice all week, and then you ask him to come out and play. That's unfair (to ask) of him. But I don't have that kind of policy."

So Jackson is spending the week watching practice and getting treatment, and he'll see where he's at Sunday at Soldier Field.

Jackson has been more durable than generally given credit for as a workhorse feature back. Now in his eighth season as a full-time starter, he has missed only 11 games in that span.

The Rams' record in those 11 games: 1-10. And there should be a huge asterisk next to that lone victory, which came in the 2005 season finale in Dallas. The Cowboys found out about 30 minutes before kickoff that they had been eliminated from playoff contention, and didn't exactly play at a fevered pitch.

If Jackson can't go Sunday, look for plenty of Daryl Richardson, with some Isaiah Pead sprinkled in.

"I think both of 'em can step in and make plays for us," Fisher said. "We even like Terrance (Ganaway). Terrance has got some run skills. So if 'Jack' can't go, we'll get the game done with the three of them."

All three are rookies. A strong training camp and preseason made Richardson the surprise winner of the backup job ahead of second-round pick Pead. After rushing for 103 yards on 17 carries in his first two NFL games, Richardson appears to have earned the full trust of Fisher to the point that Fisher says the game plan won't have to be adjusted if Richardson starts.

"There's nothing that he can't do at this point," Fisher said. "He's a good, hard runner. He runs inside, outside, understands protections, and he showed last week that he can catch it out of the backfield."

He's made a believer out of Jackson as well.

"He has an amazing burst that we all see," Jackson said. "Not only does he have burst, but he has the capability of being a dual threat. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and make things happen. Anytime you get him a crease like that, it's a potential for a home run."

INJURY UPDATE

Also not practicing Thursday were FB Brit Miller (thigh), S Matt Daniels (hamstring), DT Matt Conrath (knee), DT Michael Brockers (ankle), and OT Rodger Saffold (knee). Saffold's replacement offensive tackle Wayne Hunter (ankle) was listed as limited participation after not practicing Wednesday.

Watching Daryl Richardson's running style reminds me somewhat of Chris Johnson when he first came into the league. Of course Johnson was selected 24th overall, as opposed to Richardson being taken in the 7th round. Up to now, Richardson has all the earmarks of being a "steal" ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson still iffy for Bears game

I hope this puts to rest any question of an injury. The worrier in me is worrying, but I take solice in the fact that we have Richardson. if Jackson isn't completely 100% come game time, he needs to sit.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I dont see stewart on the injury report anymore

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    I dont see stewart on the injury report anymore
    - S Matt Daniels (hamstring) also did not practice again and is listed as out.

- If indeed Daniels doesn’t go, Darian Stewart would get a shot to replace him on special teams.

- Stewart has been inactive the first two weeks after he was initially considered to be in a battle for a starting spot. But injuries kept him out of most of the preseason and ultimately kept that competition from materializing.

“There was too much practice time and game time missed,” Fisher said.

What do you make if this? Has Stewart dropped that far down the depth charts?