Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

For the "Jackson Stinks" Crowd: Explain This

There seems to be a great number of fans who simply can't accept that Steven Jackson's recent failings have been primarily the result of poor blocking. To illustrate just how wrong these fans are, allow me to present a few stats.

Yards Per Carry (2004 vs. 2005):

Corey Dillon: 4.7/3.6
    Jamal Lewis: 4.3/3.3
    Curtis Martin 4.6/3.3
    Brian Westbrook 4.6/4.0
    Chris Brown 4.9/3.8
    Kevin Jones 4.7/3.5

Now, what could explain this drastic decline in yards per carry? (by the way, each of these backs has fewer yards per carry than Jackson, who is at 4.1) Did they forget how to follow their blocks? Did they forget how to run North and South?

Or... could it possibly be the fact that even good backs both experienced (Dillon, Lewis, Martin) and young (Westbrook, Brown, Jones) are only productive when they have good line play?

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Re: For the "Jackson Stinks" Crowd: Explain This

OK, it's the O'lines fault that Steven Jackson sucked this year. My problem is that some backs are better than others when the O'line sucks. And some are ONLY as good as their O'line.

If he were on the Bronco's, he'd be great. But many of those Bronco's backs, like Droughns, etc.. don't look so good on other teams when they no longer have the luxury of huge holes opening up for them.

Although their philosophy of a 1 cut run...like go straight, make 1 decision to go left or right from there, and then GO, would help him.

I don't see the O'line magically becoming great next year, so Jackson will be mediocre again next year.

I think the line will be better next year, with Barron and Terrell improving with experience and, hopefully, Incognito contributing. I also think that if Bulger, Bruce and Holt are all healthy, teams will have to key on the pass more. All of these things should help Jackson.

That is not to say that Jackson is perfect. Far from it. But he's undeniably talented, and I believe he can be a guy who runs for 1,300-1,400 yards with a 4.5 or better average.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    OK, it's the O'lines fault that Steven Jackson sucked this year. My problem is that some backs are better than others when the O'line sucks. And some are ONLY as good as their O'line.

If he were on the Bronco's, he'd be great. But many of those Bronco's backs, like Droughns, etc.. don't look so good on other teams when they no longer have the luxury of huge holes opening up for them.

Although their philosophy of a 1 cut run...like go straight, make 1 decision to go left or right from there, and then GO, would help him.

I don't see the O'line magically becoming great next year, so Jackson will be mediocre again next year.
    He didn't suck per-se, he got 1366 yards so far.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Maybe I am wrong about this, but don't most NFL RB's take until their third or fourth season before they have their "breakout" year?
    As far as I can tell, the third year of a running back's career is when he has learned how to move and run in the NFL. He has matured from a "star RB" into a part of the team. He has learned by then that a play cannot always be run like it was practiced, and he can improvise. He begins to think for himself. He has also physically developed into a better player.
    When Jackson was drafted, I expected to him to become an impact player in his first year. I should have known better, as only a few players ever do this each decade. Instead of "Carnation Instant Dickerson", we have a strong runningback that will continue to improve over the next few years, and someday might be spoken of as one of the greatest running backs of his era.
    While I wish Jackson could have 150 yards per game with a 7.5 ypc average, and nothing short of a 3 yard gain with each carry, I am far from disappointed in him. He's gotten better over the past two seasons, and I believe he will continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Maybe I am wrong about this, but don't most NFL RB's take until their third or fourth season before they have their "breakout" year?
    That certainly is true a lot of the time. Take Tiki Barber, for example. In his first 3 seasons, he had 11 total starts, 250 carries, 935 yards and a 3.7 ypc average.

Jackson, in his first 2 seasons, has 18 starts, 388 carries, 1,719 yards, and a 4.4 ypc average.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

He needs to run with more decisiveness and authority...as big as he is...he dances around too damn much. Hit that hole with a full head of steam and break a few more arms(like he did in his rook season). The O Line has huge promise with giant bookends for years to come and the potential of a mean Incognito inside. He has flashed some real potential...hopefully things will come together for him in the next year or two. Hes no Trung Canidate...thankfully.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan
    He needs to run with more decisiveness and authority...as big as he is...he dances around too damn much. Hit that hole with a full head of steam and break a few more arms(like he did in his rook season). The O Line has huge promise with giant bookends for years to come and the potential of a mean Incognito inside. He has flashed some real potential...hopefully things will come together for him in the next year or two. Hes no Trung Canidate...thankfully.
    Yep. Jackson needs to run more like Jerome Betis than Marshall Faulk. He has the build to run over people.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    There seems to be a great number of fans who simply can't accept that Steven Jackson's recent failings have been primarily the result of poor blocking. To illustrate just how wrong these fans are, allow me to present a few stats.

Yards Per Carry (2004 vs. 2005):

Corey Dillon: 4.7/3.6
    Jamal Lewis: 4.3/3.3
    Curtis Martin 4.6/3.3
    Brian Westbrook 4.6/4.0
    Chris Brown 4.9/3.8
    Kevin Jones 4.7/3.5

Now, what could explain this drastic decline in yards per carry? (by the way, each of these backs has fewer yards per carry than Jackson, who is at 4.1) Did they forget how to follow their blocks? Did they forget how to run North and South?

Or... could it possibly be the fact that even good backs both experienced (Dillon, Lewis, Martin) and young (Westbrook, Brown, Jones) are only productive when they have good line play?
    For the most part I agree but I would not say that it is primarily the OL I would say its just as much the OL but that is my opinion. He definitely has a lot of potential upside but he needs to start proving that on the field. He is not a great RB yet and his yards per carry average have been aided by being near the top in big runs of over 20 yards. There are a lot of backs that don't get the big runs but consistently get 3 and 4-yard runs when they touch the ball that has not been the case with Jackson which can also be attributed to the OL blocking for him. However there are many times I have screamed at my TV for our power RB to pick up one yard instead of dancing in the backfield with no one around looking for the opening instead of hitting the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan
    I agree.

Yep. Jackson needs to run more like Jerome Betis than Marshall Faulk. He has the build to run over people.
    I agree.

I'm not sure I want him to run like Bettis. Rather, I'd like to see him run like Rudi Johnson - North and South, but not as much "running over people" as Bettis does. Don't forget, as big as Jackson is, Bettis still has a good 25 lbs on him.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Your examples I can easily give explanation other than the line.....

1. C. Dillion has battle injuries all year long.
    2. J. Lewis just had major surgery and rehab while incarcerated??????
    3. Wear and tear his prime days are gone....
    4. Westbrook another injury prone and the Eagles set up the run by passing. Without TO and McNabb it's been all Westbrook?????
    5. Travis Henry and injuries have hurt his numbers. Also, the team has been playing catch up most of the year..
    6. Kevin Jones agian you have to look at injuries and the team falling way behind early.......

Sorry I do not buy into your theory totally. Yes, a good line can make a RB better. Also, some rare RB's can make a bad line better ie Sanders, R. Williams, and I'm sure you can add several RB's????

Right, and Jackson hasn't had things that hindered him this year. Its not as though he had to play with a cracked sternum, or with an unsettled O line, or with a passing game decimated by injuries - oh, wait, yes he did.

Also, interesting that you would list Ricky Williams as a back who can be productive without a good O line.

Here's his first 2 years stats:

22 starts
    501 carries
    1,884 yards
    3.8 ypc average

And... if all the stats I've posted in this thread aren't enough to convince the anti-Jackson crowd to be a bit more patient, allow me to give you one more.

I'm thinking of a running back who was drafted early in the first round...

Who had over 5,000 yards in his first 5 seasons, but...

Who never had a ypc average better than 4.1 in any of his first 5 seasons...

And who had an aggregate ypc average of 3.8 in his first 5 seasons...

This running back then went to a team with a better O line and a better scheme for his running style, and went on to break several records and win a league MVP.

His name...

Marshall Faulk.

Look it up.

And be patient with Jackson.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

Wise man say, "You can only do so well as those building your path."

I think he was an offensive line coach somewhere...

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Likely with a better O'line, he would live up to his potential, but I just can't accept a big strong back that can't get 1 yard on 3rd and 1, or 4th and 1...even if he has to get it himself. I don't feel that the first RB taken in the draft is someone you need to have patience with, especially towards the end of his second year, but at this point, that is my only option, so let's hope for both him and the O'line to do better next year.

I think a new coaching philosophy for this team will be refreshing and hopefully can better utilize this guy's talents. Things are gonna change, and with 5 wins, that can only be a good thing.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast