Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson takes aim at a breakout season

The quote everyone seems to be having trouble with, from Steven, would appear to be from earlier this Spring. It has been recycled for several articles I've read. Repeated and quoted by writers, not him. Complaints of him continually spouting off the same "me-first crap" would appear to be un-founded, then....eh?

Nick and I don't often share complementary opinions, but in this we are agreed. Give him his season. Allow him to bear the burden before you say he is unable...... or unworthy. Let him prove one of us right. Debate which one of us it will be, not whether or not he deserves the chance.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Here we go again. First of all, I'd like to point out these are not new quotes.
    With training camp less than two weeks off and Scott Linehan in charge now, Jackson is feeling like a rookie again.

"I'm approaching it with a focus of saying, 'This is me getting a new beginning,'" said Jackson, who will turn 23 on July 22. "I feel like I've got a chance to start my career over."
    See, the way they set that up makes it sound like he just said it, but PD ran that exact same quote back in March. As you can see here or here.

We also saw this at least three weeks ago...
    "It seems like everyone is making me the focal point, which two years ago when I was drafted, that's what the plan was," he said. "We knew that eventually the team was going to be more geared and built around me, and now it seems like it's starting to come to the forefront.
    It seems to me that because these pieces are getting recycled over and over, it makes Jackson seem like he is always talking about himself. In truth, these are just a couple of sound bites that people have latched on to.

Yes, it sounds cocky, bordering on arrogant. I like Bulger's quote better. On the other hand, I can definitely see why Jackson would expect to have a larger role this year. In terms of average carries/game, he finished 24th in the league and rated below Priest Holmes (who was splitting carries with Larry Johnson) and Willy Parker (splitting time with Jerome Bettis). With only 4.1 carries/game, Marshall Faulk was hardly eating into Jackson's carries. Starters that finished behind him included Kevin Jones, Brian Westbrook, Marcell Shipp, and then a bunch of players in tandems, i.e. Barlow/Gore, Williams/Brown, Davis/Foster. Jackson averaged 15.9 carries/game; in comparison, Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown averaged 14.0 and 13.8 each!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

He said ,she said...blah ,blah, blah. When the season starts , gets his chance to (I hope ) prove me wrong!!!!:confused:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang
    Steven Jackson, for me, talks rather too much about himself and the extent to which he deserves to be the focal point of the offence for a man who has yet to prove that he is capable of carrying the load over the course of a season and rather stagggered over the 1000 yard line toward the end of last season.

His career is in it's infancy granted, but that is precisely why, for me, he should take a rather more humble approach to his expectations for the coming season.

To state otherwise leaves you in the realm of justifying the type of comments made by other players in the NFL who have the reputation for being ego-centric. The thing is most of those players who have that reputation have actually achieved something prior to their controversial utterings and that people put up with them because they can still produce.

This not to say, and it has never been my position, that he never will achieve any of those things that he wishes for, it's just obvious that #39 has an inflated view of himself that doesn't tally with his performances so far. If his view of himself was justified by his previous performances I would bet a round of beers at the Bash that none of us would have an issue with him saying what he's saying.

Possible..........probable, let's not go there.

I wish him all the best for the coming season, always have. To defend his comments on the grounds that people are looking for a punch bag is a little bit of a reach.
    I agree with this and could not have said it better.

I do not agree with this:
    It became so bad last year that Jackson actually taped a message to the coaching staff above his locker. It read: Give me the Damn Ball.
    Another I don't agree with blaming the other coaching staff for his failures. While this could be true you don't blame your failures in the media on the coaching staff.
    I'm much more comfortable in this system. It fits me. It's not like they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, which is the way I felt with the previous staff."

Did he forget to mention that they abandon the run because Jackson/the OL lead the league in stuffed runs last year when he was carrying the ball and we have two ProBowl caliber WR's.
    "I'm the type of guy who feeds off touches," Jackson said. "I'm not the type of back who wants it five or 10 times a game. That's not good enough. I was underappreciated by the coaching staff. That's what happens when you have a coach who calls more pass plays than running plays. You get underused."
    Another non T-E-A-M statement. I notice he likes to use the word I and last I looked there is no I in T-E-A-M.
    Here's an early prediction: Jackson will lead the league in rushing.
    "I'll take that as a compliment," Jackson said. "But you're not going out on a limb there. I have the ability to lead the league and now I have the right coaching staff, one that believes in me."
    I want to see him do good because IMO a good running game is important for any team. It would be nice if he would just shut up and put up. He does not talk about the team as a whole I can't remember him ever complimenting the WRs or the QB. He never says the running game was not working but the WR helped pick up the slack. He always talks about not getting the ball even when he has 10 carries for 5 yards.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -07-17-2006 at 07:22 PM.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone's using Jackson as a punching bag. I think some fans just prefer players that do their talking on the field. Simple as that.

For the record, I don't think anyone dislikes Jackson. I think we would all love it if he had a monster year. Just shut about it already.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN
    Another I don't agree with blaming the other coaching staff for his failures. While this could be true you don't blame your failures in the media on the coaching staff.
    I'm sorry, but I don't think that acknowledging that the staff didn't use him in the right way equates to him completely blaming them for any/all of his failures.

I know many fans stated through the season that Jackson wasn't being used correctly by the staff, and I certainly don't recall all of those fans using that statement to say the staff was to blame for any/all of Jackson's failures. So why should that be the case for Jackson? Why can't he simply say he didn't feel like he was being used correctly, and that be it?

Look at the statement you quoted: "I'm much more comfortable in this system. It fits me. It's not like they're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, which is the way I felt with the previous staff." Jackson doesn't even talk about his production in it; he simply says he didn't feel he was being used properly. He doesn't then take that sentiment and use it to make a judgement on his production or who was to blame for any errors or hurdles.

It seems like you're reading an awful lot into a few words.

It would be nice if he would just shut up and put up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    Just shut about it already.
    Has he not? Scidog and Golden seemed to make it pretty clear that Jackson isn't continuously talking about this, but rather it's the same quotes being repeated by the media. Some of these date back to March. You make it sound like Jackson's in front of a mic every week voicing these statements. Not the case at all.

Now who knows, maybe he'll have some interesting comments from training camp. Then it would be an appropriate time to call for him to shut up, since he'd actually be talking at that point. But now? He's not even talking. This would be like me quoting something one of you said from January and telling you to shut up about it. You're not even talking about it anymore!

For the time being, actually for a good while it seems, Jackson has in fact been quiet. All that could change, but until it does, maybe we can end the calls for quiet, which in and of themselves are the only things creating any noise at the moment.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Why can't he simply say he didn't feel like he was being used correctly, and that be it?
    If he would put it as you did that would be more acceptable. But I don't think he should make a big deal in the media as he has with his statements and never state anything that he has done wrong. I also don't think you hang a sign above your locker.

Nick how do you feel about Jacksons actions last season when he did the following?

It became so bad last year that Jackson actually taped a message to the coaching staff above his locker. It read: Give me the Damn Ball.

It sounds like he was blaming the coaching staff and seems to me that he was starting a me first type of appraoch last year and carried that same approach into the offseason but maybe I am wrong. It just seems like most of the statements I see from him is either cocky or complaining about the way he was used.

The following quotes look like he was blaming the previous staff for his lack of production. Even if these are true you don't blame the coaching staff in the media.
    "I'm the type of guy who feeds off touches," Jackson said. "I'm not the type of back who wants it five or 10 times a game. That's not good enough. I was underappreciated by the coaching staff. That's what happens when you have a coach who calls more pass plays than running plays. You get underused."
    I have the ability to lead the league and now I have the right coaching staff, one that believes in me.
    Sounds like he is saying it was the previous coaching staffs fault for him not getting more yards.

Hopefully you are correct and he has stopped talking in such a manner. But I can't wait to see him ever take responsibility for a bad game or give someone else on the team props.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -07-17-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Nick how do you feel about Jacksons actions last season when he did the following?
    Exactly how I felt on page one: as long as Jackson isn't creating problems in the locker room or disrupting the team with his comments, which we have absolutely NO indication is the case, then I don't see the problem.

The following quotes look like he was blaming the previous staff for his lack of production.
    I disagree, but we've been through this already. I don't think that acknowledging that he was misused by the staff equates to him completely blaming them for any of his failures. It is what it is - he feels he was misused, and now he has a staff that's focusing on making good use of him.

But I can't wait to see him ever take responsibility for a bad game or give someone else on the team props.
    You don't have to wait at all.

In his recent NFL Total Access interview, Jackson was very complimentary of Marshall Faulk for the help he's been and how easily he passed the torch.

Heck, all you have to do is go back to page one and read Jackson say, "With the talent we had in the locker room, we felt we were a lot better than 6-10."

Is that not complimentary of his teammates?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Is that not complimentary of his teammates?
    I said give someone else on the team props. I meant I can't ever remember him complimenting anyone else on the team for their play since he has been a starter. I don't recall ever hearing him and I never recall him taking responsibility for a bad game. It is what it is and its my perception of him based on what I have seen. I hope that perception is either proven wrong over the next couple years or it's right but he changes his attitude.

It looks like we will just have to agree to disagree on this subject. I think we both wish him well. Right or wrong I have more concerns about his attitude and putting the T-E-A-M first then you do.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -07-17-2006 at 11:15 PM.

I said give someone else on the team props.
    Are you suggesting he was referring to only himself when he said, "With the talent we had in the locker room, we felt we were a lot better than 6-10"? Because otherwise, that would in fact be a compliment to his teammates. And again, there's his Total Access interview.

Either way, hopefully you'll like my new sig. It's something to keep in mind when the season finally rolls around - either it will be something to look back on with pride if he keeps his word, or something to look back on in disappointment if he breaks it. I figure I'll leave it up there for a while, and we'll see which of us will be able to point to it in order to support our opinions.

Then again, maybe he'll get his 25 carries a game and we won't have to worry about it at all. The real test isn't what's being said now (or rather back in March), but instead what's going to be said during the season as events unfold.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Are you suggesting he was referring to only himself when he said, "With the talent we had in the locker room, we felt we were a lot better than 6-10"? Because otherwise, that would in fact be a compliment to his teammates. And again, there's his Total Access interview.
    Again I don't recall him ever saying Torry, Bruce, Bulger, or Faulk had a great game since he has become the starter. I did not see his total access interview to see if he singled anyone out and gave them kudos for a game that he himself played in.

Either way, hopefully you'll like my new sig. It's something to keep in mind when the season finally rolls around - either it will be something to look back on with pride if he keeps his word, or something to look back on in disappointment if he breaks it. I figure I'll leave it up there for a while, and we'll see which of us will be able to point to it in order to support our opinions.

Then again, maybe he'll get his 25 carries a game and we won't have to worry about it at all. The real test isn't what's being said now (or rather back in March), but instead what's going to be said during the season as events unfold.
    Nice sig I hope he holds true to his words and I hope he can become a leader that thinks about his teammates first.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    I don't think anyone's using Jackson as a punching bag. I think some fans just prefer players that do their talking on the field. Simple as that.

For the record, I don't think anyone dislikes Jackson. I think we would all love it if he had a monster year. Just shut about it already.
    Absolutely correct.

And just so this little indication of agreement doesn't get deleted ,may I add that the thing that really ticks me off about this whole discussion, is that in order to avoid holding Jackson reponsible for his ego-centric comments, some people see fit to label the rest of us as word twisting, obsessed ,media slaves who are looking for a punching bag because it's the off season and we don't have enough in our lives.

It takes bigger twists of dictionary definitions, not to mention logic, to claim that somehow we've all got his wrong and we've set out to demonise him.

He's a cocky so and so who has seen fit to advertise it. Fine, but I'd prefer it if he kept quiet and got on with the job.

"Give me the damn ball"...........hmmmmmmm, now which other media darling said that or something very close to it?

Have we misinterpreted that as well, or does it mean something different when said by a Steven instead of a Keyshawn?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"Give me the damn ball"...........hmmmmmmm, now which other media darling said that or something very close to it?

Have we misinterpreted that as well, or does it mean something different when said by a Steven instead of a Keyshawn?
    And when he did, Keyshawn was alienating his team and coaches. The same is true of Moss and TO. All began public confrontations with the rest of their team within a very short time of their "ME, ME, ME" sentiments.

So where is the confrontation that Jackson has started. Maybe it's there, but I'm just not seeing it. Bulger has spoken highly of him, Holt has spoken highly of him, Chavous has spoken highly of him, Linehan has spoken hightly of him, Zygmunt has spoken highly of him.

Again, is he a cocky kid? Sure.....but I've yet to see anything that would indicate his perceived attitude is causing any kind of a problem with the team.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang

In fairness to Jackson, he made his statement in-house, nonverbally in a note on his locker, while Meshawn made his in a highly publicized book for all the world to see. Big difference IMO. If you really think Jackson's statement compares to Meshawn's, do a search for "Give Me The Damn Ball" and see what comes up.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Id do the same thing.... If the stupid coaches didnt see the sign... Id put it on my helmet!! I cant blame him demanding more ball time! If your a starter what else do you expect to get?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast