• 3 Post By Dwight Frye
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25
  • 1 Post By laram0

Thread: Jackson Tells Rams He Wants To Return

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Jackson Tells Rams He Wants To Return

Jackson tells Rams he wants to return

5 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

SEATTLE • First things first. Although Steven Jackson’s humor was lost on some last Thursday regarding the subject of retirement, he set the record straight following Sunday’s season-ending 20-13 loss to Seattle.

“I definitely plan on playing next season,” Jackson said in the visitors’ locker room at CenturyLink Field.

When asked about his so-called retirement “talk” last week, Jackson said: “What I said was, I will seek all options, and that is something that’s an option for me.”

But he quickly added: “I love the game of football. I have a lot left in my tank — and let’s just get the deal done. How about that?”

Which takes us to the subject of Jackson’s contract situation. He can void the final year of his contract early in the offseason, making him a free agent. But he has made it clear he would prefer to play for St. Louis next season and beyond.

He made it about as clear as he could to his teammates before reporters entered the postgame locker room.

“He told us after the game that he bleeds blue and gold, and he wants to be here,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “So hopefully we can make it work. ... To have him coming back would mean a lot.”

Jackson is hoping that negotiations with the Rams on a revised contract will lead to a return to St. Louis.

“My agent and the (Rams) will sit down,” Jackson said. “This organization has been first-class with me. To even give me the chance to be a free agent, that just shows the respect that we have for each other. We’re going to keep an open mind and hope to get this done.”

In the midst of all this talk about the future, Jackson’s presence was very significant Sunday, even on a day of defeat for the team. With a 14-yard run in the second quarter, Jackson topped 1,000 yards rushing for the season, becoming only the sixth player in NFL history to gain 1,000 yards in eight consecutive seasons.

“I’ve just been blessed to play at a high level for a long time in this league,” Jackson said. “I’ve always set out to be a consistent and a tough runner.”

INJURY UPDATE

Defensive tackle Michael Brockers left briefly with an ankle injury but returned. Linebacker Rocky McIntosh suffered a concussion late in the second quarter and did not return.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson Tells Rams He Wants To Return

Great news. I've believed all along that SJax wants to stay with the Rams. I'm sure thay Kevin Demoff will work out an agreement that keeps SJax with the team in a way that benefits the team and him. He still contributes albeit not at the level he once was, but I would like to give him a better O-Line to run behind and see what he delivers. As long as he can stay healthy he can provide some solid play & leadership on the field and in the locker room. Hopefully Jeff and Les will feel the same.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Talk is great, I just hope it leads to both sides working out an agreement that is satisfactory for both.
    laram0 and ZiaRam like this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

So happy to hear this. I'd love for Steven to retire a Ram... He's a great guy and I love watching him still to this day even tho he might not bust 60 yard plays all the time.
    His experience, knowledge, work ethic, and leadership are going to be something still needed around here for the next few years and I'm sure a few more off seasons with Richardson and Pead being around that wouldn't hurt one bit.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Integrity, honor, pride, chivalry ... the man is all these things AND a 1,000 yard back. Jack always made me proud to be a Ram, even after the most dismal performance ... and there have been a lot. A true Ram who is on the same level as Merlin and Deac .... Jack and ED. Absolutely my fave rb .... EVER!
    live4ramin, Aussie Dave and ZiaRam like this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Chivalry! An appropriately clever description of a man with a big heart.

Good to see you around, Dwight.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Bring him back please. With an improved line next year and some good RB's backing him up, I think he could remain a big huge part of our offense.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Where have the Rams seen this before...oh ya, a fella comes to mind called Marshal Faulk. The Dolts loss was the the Rams gain. I just hope Rams will not play the part of the Dolts. Granted at $44M thats too steep a price to pay for a RB, especially when a 6th rounder in Washington is putting up the kinda numbers he is.

However S. Jackson is a class act and adds leadership to the team and he still has plenty of gas in the tank for at least 2 more seasons. Personally I'd like to see him retire as a Ram.

Funny thing is 2 things will get you fired as a HC like nothing else then failure to develop a solid QB and a top quality O-line. A solid line made A. Smith of the 49whinners look good...and a solid O-line took T. Dilfer of the Ravens to a SB...a solid line makes T. Brady of the Pats a T. Brady. Martz, Linehan and Spag lost their jobs in no small part to not building an O-line--more to the point during their reigns they had S. Jackoson! That to me that took no imagination to build at the least a bruiser O-line. Remove A.P. from the Viks and put in S. Jackson and I bet the results would be much the same (2000+ yard season)

RealRam is online now Registered User

Great to hear Jax would like to return with the Rams next year!

This is kind of a consolation for Sunday's loss.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Where have the Rams seen this before...oh ya, a fella comes to mind called Marshal Faulk. The Dolts loss was the the Rams gain. I just hope Rams will not play the part of the Dolts. Granted at $44M thats too steep a price to pay for a RB, especially when a 6th rounder in Washington is putting up the kinda numbers he is.

However S. Jackson is a class act and adds leadership to the team and he still has plenty of gas in the tank for at least 2 more seasons. Personally I'd like to see him retire as a Ram.

Funny thing is 2 things will get you fired as a HC like nothing else then failure to develop a solid QB and a top quality O-line. A solid line made A. Smith of the 49whinners look good...and a solid O-line took T. Dilfer of the Ravens to a SB...a solid line makes T. Brady of the Pats a T. Brady. Martz, Linehan and Spag lost their jobs in no small part to not building an O-line--more to the point during their reigns they had S. Jackoson! That to me that took no imagination to build at the least a bruiser O-line. Remove A.P. from the Viks and put in S. Jackson and I bet the results would be much the same (2000+ yard season)
    I'm as big a Stevie Jax fan as anyone, but no way he would rush for 2000 yards if he was on the Vikings. What AP was doing out there was just ridiculous; most his yards came after contact and there were times when he would just outrun the whole defense. I say 1500 yards would be more realistic for Jackson.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'm as big a Stevie Jax fan as anyone, but no way he would rush for 2000 yards if he was on the Vikings. What AP was doing out there was just ridiculous; most his yards came after contact and there were times when he would just outrun the whole defense. I say 1500 yards would be more realistic for Jackson.
    i think jackson could get around 1500 as well, maybe even 16-1700, i don't think peterson is THAT above and beyond, anyone can get a bunch of yards with holding calls not being called

not to take anything away from peterson, he's a great back, but i think he's overrated, but that doesn't mean he's bad...at all

Ram187 is offline Registered User

If Bradford got a lil bit of help in the off season and the Rams made a few changes on the O line. And lets say he has a 4,000 or 4500 yard season. I can see Jackson running for 1800 years. Take the pressure of Jackson to produce like he has been for the last 10 years and you have a superior offensive team!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram187 View Post
    If Bradford got a lil bit of help in the off season and the Rams made a few changes on the O line. And lets say he has a 4,000 or 4500 yard season. I can see Jackson running for 1800 years. Take the pressure of Jackson to produce like he has been for the last 10 years and you have a superior offensive team!
    That would make Jackson the oldest RB in the history of the NFL.

Sorry I couldn't resist!
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.