RamWraith is offline Registered User

Jackson walks the line to Philly

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

In his first game-week session with the media this season, Steven Jackson talked about being ready for a busy Sunday in Philadelphia, having fresh legs, getting up to speed with the playbook, etc.

His enthusiasm really cranked up, though, when discussing the offensive line and its relatively healthy status heading into the opener. Because of an inordinate number of injuries, Jackson found out last year what it’s like running behind a ragtag line. It wasn’t much fun.

The line’s play in the preseason has been “really encouraging,” Jackson said. “I’m just hoping we can keep that intact. That’s really what you need. You need an offensive line that can stay together, not only through a season but two or three years. That’s how formidable ground games get started.”

<><><>

The Rams have seven rookies on their 53-man roster, and most of them figure to be among the 45 actives Sunday in Philly. Defensive tackle La’Roi Glover, a 13-year vet, offered them a bit of sage advice.

“They’re going to walk into that stadium and they’re going to realize what it’s all about. People are going to boo them, say a little nasty stuff to them, throw stuff at them,” Glover said. ” They’re going to see No. 5 (Donovan McNabb), they’re going to see No. 36 (Brian Westbrook), they’re going to see that big offensive line.

“So the only thing I’m going to say to them is, go out and enjoy it.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>Rookie WR Donnie Avery hasn’t practiced since spraining his right knee Aug. 28 at Kansas City and almost surely will sit out Sunday.

>>The post-cuts additions of S Brannon Condren, CB Ricky Manning Jr. and special-teams ace Gary Stills are garnering strong reviews among their new teammates.

>>DT Adam Carriker, on preparing for his second season-opener: “It definitely feels different. Knowing what’s going on, knowing what to expect . . . it’s a lot easier. Last year, it was excitement, it was anxiousness . . . I just wanted to get out and play.”

>>HC Scott Linehan said he planned to tune in to tonight’s Giants-Redskins contest . . . at least briefly. “It really is the official kickoff of the season,” he said. “I’m sure I’ll watch a few plays.”

All for now . . .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson walks the line to Philly

The Giants played very well yesterday. They looked like the team that won the superbowl yesterday. So we need to get ready for that contest.

I am excited for the new season. Just a little upset about Avery.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jackson walks the line to Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    The Giants played very well yesterday. They looked like the team that won the superbowl yesterday. So we need to get ready for that contest.

I am excited for the new season. Just a little upset about Avery.
    I'm not sure if it was that the Giants looked all that good or the Redskins are starting out slow.

One thing for sure...We cannot look past the Eagles and start concerning ourselves with Giants. It's one game at a time.