MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Jackson wants more ..

Although only one player in the NFL is averaging more yards from scrimmage per game, Rams running back Steven Jackson is unhappy with his play so far.
    "To be No. 2 I think is lucky," he said.

Jackson is averaging 120 yards 67.3 rushing and 52.7 receiving. San Francisco back Frank Gore has a 120.6-yard norm.
    Still, when he views game film, Jackson sees reasons why his numbers should be better.

"I'm leaving some yards on the field," he said. "It's not one specific thing. But when you go back and look at it Monday morning, you're like, 'Aw, man, I could've probably gotten 5 more yards on that.'"

The blame, Jackson stressed, lies squarely on his shoulders.

"My offensive line is doing a great job, especially the last two games," said Jackson, who held out for 27 days in the preseason in a contract dispute. "I've got to help them out more."

If new coach Jim Haslett has his way, Jackson figures to get plenty of opportunities to do just that. Since taking over for Scott Linehan last week, Haslett has emphasized his determination to get the Rams' playmakers involved more heavily on offense.

"We've got some guys that need to touch the ball," Haslett said, specifically mentioning Jackson and wide receivers Torry Holt and Donnie Avery. "I want to give them the ball in more situations. There's a million different ways to get guys the ball."

Not surprisingly, Jackson likes what he's hearing from Haslett, who had been the team's defensive coordinator before Linehan was fired.

"He's making sure we run the ball for four quarters and we get our guys who are our emphasis the ball throughout the game, and not just in spurts or in halves," Jackson said. "I'm really disappointed in my first four games, and I'm going to come out really strong the last 12."

That starts Sunday in Washington, where the Redskins rank ninth in the league against the run and 13th in total defense.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Jackson wants more ..

We want more too. For 4 quarters a game, From beginning to the end of games, we want more!!!....more with a win this Sunday.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We want to Jackson hit the holes and stop dancing. He said it himself the O-line has been doing a great job especially the last 2 games.

So hit the holes Jackson and stop looking for the homerun on every play.

2nd and 7 is alot better than 2nd and 10!!!!!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

In my mind, Jackson has always toed the line between being a genuine leader and a prima donna. He's usually vocal, and it seems like he means it in a constructive way, but sometimes he throws his teammates under the bus publicly or it just comes out wrong.

Comments like these are what Jackson needs more of to be a genuine leader. Notice that he's gone from "my numbers would be better if my O Line and WRs would block for me" to "I could make a bigger contribution if I would play better." When you are your own worst critic, and you're willing to acknowledge that when the team is losing part of that blame should fall on your shoulders despite your good numbers, I think it gives you a little more clout to be able to say "yeah we all need to do a better job here."

I say bravo to Jackson for this.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It's good to hear that he is noticing his mistakes. I hope he can fix stuff on the field. He did great last week. WE WANT MORE!

Wsh_Redskins is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    It's good to hear that he is noticing his mistakes. I hope he can fix stuff on the field. He did great last week. WE WANT MORE!
    He is an incredible talent, and still has 5 years until the dreaded age for RBs. This team will rally around him in the next year or so and become a force once again in the NFC.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

"He's making sure we run the ball for four quarters and we get our guys who are our emphasis the ball throughout the game, and not just in spurts or in halves," Jackson said. "I'm really disappointed in my first four games, and I'm going to come out really strong the last 12."

Absolutely that is the key.
    :ramlogo: