evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Jackson's message powerful, nuanced

I'll post this separately from the other Jackson thread since he goes on about more than just the QB change.

Jackson's message powerful, nuanced
    September 26, 2008 1:59 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Rams running back Steven Jackson wasn't popping off when he questioned Marc Bulger's benching during a radio show Thursday night.

That becomes clear in listening to the audio on the Rams' radio network. Jackson was quite thoughtful in his answers. His emotions did boil over when asked about whether benching Bulger was the right thing to do. But the broader tone was pretty restrained.

Jackson on the QB move: "You just rewarded this man with a new contract last year, millions of dollars, and you bench him. Then if things do not work out with Trent [Green], you go back. I don't like it at all. I think there's a lot more people that could take the blame for this. I don't think it's fair that one person takes the blame."

Jackson when asked what should be done: "You don't do anything. If anything, you ride out your quarterback, you ride out the star guy that you invested money in. Because that is why you invested money in him, to build the future with those guys. You replace the guys around him. Whatever you need to do. ... You don't put your general, the head guy of the football team, he is the staple center of this team, and you bench him with no excuse. It's not right."

I don't think Jackson intended to refer to Bulger as the arena where the Los Angeles Lakers play. He was referring to him as the staple of the roster, the center of the team's plans. More highlights below.

Jackson on whether Trent Green changes the dynamic: "If anything, I think it makes it more comfortable for [offensive coordinator] Al Saunders, having Trent and knowing him like the back of his hand. It will be really interesting to see how the calling of the plays comes out and how the game comes out to see if it's a really huge difference in play calling."

On the offense: "We have to get Torry Holt invovled. That is the biggest thing. If I'm Al Saunders right now, I'm in the office right now figuring how do we get No. 81 the ball?"

On the locker room: "The locker room is kind of on egg shells. It's unfortunate. We should be loose, we should be going out there playing football. But I think a lot of people right now are playing for their jobs. As far as fans listening, it's really hard to play for your jobs. We're not winning. Yes, it boils down to winning and losing in this business that we play in. But when you are playing not to lose your job, that is when you are not going to make plays."

On the organization: "The thing that I got most out of my holdout was that I have fully come to understand this business. It is a business, one. To have an unbelievable season like New England has had and for the Colts and all these franchises that we have seen that have been on top for a while, it starts from top to the bottom. And on Sundays, you see the finished product of what the organization has put together as a representation of that city. But for all these things to come together and happen, it takes a lot. It's from the scouting department, from the GMs, the coaching staff, the game plan, players executing, even having competition in the locker room to have Antonio Pittman to push me to be a better back. Now, all these things have to happen and I don't think, personally, these have happened. And I've been keeping really quiet about it and I'm going to remain quiet about it because I have a very strong opinion about it. I understand that I say something, it's taking the focus off what's really the problem. So I'm just going to let it reveal itself. I'm just going to stay back and play hard."

Jackson also said he would like to see linebacker Gary Stills play on defense, not just special teams, because Stills has the right attitude. Audio from Jackson's show can be found in six parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 [EDM's note: click the link at the top to be able to access these]. The transcript above is from the first part. Jackson's comments about Bulger come about three minutes into the fourth segment.

SFCRamFan Guest

Re: Jackson's message powerful, nuanced

Interesting and insightful. It sounds like, in spite of signing his contract with this organization, he knows that we have dysfunctional front office and coaching staff. Yet, he still cares enough to sign with this team. I am more impressed by this than anything else that I have ever heard out of him. Once again the media has taken one sound bite and turned it into a controversial indictment, rather than showing that he really had something honest and thought provoking to say.

blood85 Guest

Maybe SJ should start playing and not worry about Bulgers problems.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Jackson is 100% right on all counts. His take on how championship teams are built is right on the money as are his views on Bulger and the state of the team. I applaud him for speaking up and suggest he take it a step further: Go on the NFL pre-game shows and say the same things. Hopefully, enough people will see the Rams buffoonery in the front offices and the head coach as the primary culprits in this debacle.

Then, go out there and rush for 200 yards vs. Buffalo.

Rampingitup Guest

The only problem is that if he does get 200 yards rushing people wont give him the credit, they will say that Linehan was a genius for benching Bulger.

moklerman Guest

Jackson when asked what should be done: "You don't do anything. If anything, you ride out your quarterback, you ride out the star guy that you invested money in. Because that is why you invested money in him, to build the future with those guys. You replace the guys around him. Whatever you need to do. ... You don't put your general, the head guy of the football team, he is the staple center of this team, and you bench him with no excuse. It's not right."
    It's all about the Bulger for SJ. I wonder if he had himself in mind when suggesting replacing the guys around Bulger?

A very insightful article...into the "wisdom" of SJ.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

SJ actually cares about the team, and you guys have nothing but bad things to say about him, it really kills me. You all would be singing a different tune if the offensive line played better because not only would Bulger have not been benched but Jackson would've had great games and you all know that. "You replace the guys around him", he meant the dysfunctional offensive line (which is obviously the problem), not himself...Jeez.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Maybe SJ should start playing and not worry about Bulgers problems.

That's all you took from that article, wow. Sounds like Jackson is worried about his team not just Bulger. Sounds like a player that really cares for the team and he get bashed every time he opens his mouth.
    Just Fix It