Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    alfie Guest

Re: Jacksonville will be tough

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I've heard it all now. So you guys are actually a great run D, you've just been allowing other teams to run on you....okay. Look, you guys have a solid D and I'm predicting you to win this weekend, but stopping the Steelers running game with Maddox at QB isn't anything to puff over. When a team is one-dimensional anyone can stop them.
    We haven't "allowed" them to run. We sat in a 3-3-5 all game against Indy. Do you know how easy it is to run on a 3-3-5, especially with a RB the caliber of Edge? Our downfall last year was QB's would pick on our corner opposite Mathis. Now, we scheme to stop that and make them run to beat us. Guess what? It's worked 4 times.

We stopped the run against Pitt last year too, with Ben. Ben was in the game last week and he only through 14 times. I don't see how that game plan was any different than with Maddox in, consider Maddox completed more passes than Ben threw for. If Pitt can't run, they can't win. With, or without Ben.

We also stopped Alexander, who right now is the best RB in the NFL next to LT.

I think you guys have a solid team, but don't try to sell a bill of goods saying your D can stop the run whenever they want to. That dog won't hunt.
    Well then, watch the dog hunt Sunday. Although, I'm sure when it happens it will be because of no Bulger, Holt, or Bruce.
    Last edited by alfie; -10-28-2005 at 10:23 AM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Well the Jags D is way better than the Aints d so I dont know if our Rams can win this weekend without our big 3. The Jags will stack the line because Martin is no threat through the air i.e Colts game. I hope we win but without Bulger,Bruce and Holt for a second straight week against a much tougher opponent, now thats going to be very difficult.
    Just Fix It

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well then, watch the dog hunt Sunday. Although, I'm sure when it happens it will be because of no Bulger, Holt, or Bruce.
    Well of course. I just told you a one-dimensional offense will always be stopped. What are the Rams now if not one dimensional? If Jackson/Faulk do anything against your D, you will have some explaining to do, because the Jags have absolutely no reason to not play the run. No excuses this week. If we manage to run the ball, your run D is worthless.
    We also stopped Alexander, who right now is the best RB in the NFL next to LT.
    Alfie, the Jags didn't stop Alexander....Mike Holmgren stopped Alexander. SA picked up 73 yards on only 14 carries.....5.2 ypc is not stopping the run.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 Guest

Ben was in the game last week and he only through 14 times.
    Yet he adds the threat of being able to throw and being accurate. Do what you do best. The Steelers run the football, but Ben add the threat of a passing game. That is how he changes the game.

We haven't "allowed" them to run. We sat in a 3-3-5 all game against Indy. Do you know how easy it is to run on a 3-3-5, especially with a RB the caliber of Edge? Our downfall last year was QB's would pick on our corner opposite Mathis. Now, we scheme to stop that and make them run to beat us. Guess what? It's worked 4 times.
    Thats scheme issues. Steven Jackson's mouth should be watering if the Jags come out in that formation. Kevin Curtis is underrated at best and I think he can do some special things against a D that is not known for its speed.

Yes Bulger is out, as well as Bruce and Holt. Marshall and Steven are still in and they are as healthy as ever though. The offense is still potent and I can only hope that Martin gets better after that game against the Saints.

alfie Guest

Alfie, the Jags didn't stop Alexander....Mike Holmgren stopped Alexander. SA picked up 73 yards on only 14 carries.....5.2 ypc is not stopping the run.
    Did you watch the game? He broke ONE run for 35 yards They stopped running him because he was doing squat.

alfie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Thats scheme issues. Steven Jackson's mouth should be watering if the Jags come out in that formation.

Manning is the only person we play 3-3-5. Don't worry.

Kevin Curtis is underrated at best and I think he can do some special things against a D that is not known for its speed.
    Not known for it's speed? We are slow now?

I can only hope that Martin gets better after that game against the Saints.
    Rest assured... we are not the Saints defense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't like this match-up for the Rams at all. Jacksonville has a dangerous defensive line and a solid linebacking group. There have been instances this season when they've been suseptible to the run, but I'm not convinced they give up a lot on the ground this weekend.

I think the Jaguars force the Rams to pass on them by stacking the line and playing the run. That would be a dangerous and perhaps suicidal strategy, if the Rams had their starting quarterback and two starting wide receivers in this game. But we're starting an injured Jamie Martin at quarterback, and I'm not convinced at all that Jamie Martin can beat anyone through the air if he has to. I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin have his equivilent of a Chandler-Carolina game this weekend, though not quite as ugly.

Defensively, the Rams will benefit from some question marks on the Jacksonville offense. There are two injuries that have starting offensive linemen hurting, so interior linemen Jimmy Kennedy and Ryan Pickett may be able to take advantage of that as well as Tyoka Jackson, since Leonard Little is expected to be out another week. Fred Taylor is probable with an ankle injury, but I'm not counting on him running the ball exceptionally well this game. He may, but I think the combination of the hurting ankle, some O-line pains, and a Rams defense that isn't afraid to keep linebackers in anymore might mean Taylor has limited success if not mediocre results on the ground.

My concern is in the secondary, where this strikes me as another game where we just don't match up well. I'll give you some numbers:

6'1"
    6'4"
    6'4"
    6'6"

Those are the heights of Jacksonville's four top wide receivers, the latter being rookie Matt Jones, who has shown amazing hands for a guy that is playing WR in the pros for the first time. This is another game where Rams DBs look to be outjumped by opposing receivers, ala the New York Giants. Byron Leftwich has had a good season, though perhaps he hasn't made the jump a lot of people expected. Still, he's a smart tough quarterback who can take advantage of these match-ups. The Jags don't like to throw the ball downfield as much (nearly half of Leftwich's pass attempts are between 1-10 yards downfield), but they'll air it out if they get a favorable match-up against any of our short DBs.

I believe if the Rams are to be successful this weekend, they have to do a number of things.

1) They need Martin to have the game of his life, because if I'm gameplanning for the Rams, I'm putting the burden on his shoulders rather than letting Faulk and Jackson run all over me. This means not only limiting turnovers for Martin, but actually hitting guys when they're open, and opening up the offense a bit more.

2) When the Rams do run the ball, they need maximum efficiency. They need positive gains on as many carries as possible. They need solid blocking from the offensive line, and need to take John Henderson completely out of the play. This offensive line needs to run block better than they have at any time this year.

3) On defense, the Rams have to get to Byron Leftwich, because if they let him have time, I think the Jags can pick apart this secondary. They may not do it in big gains, but they can get the job done. Furthermore, Leftwich is boasting a 45.1 QB rating in the fourth quarter. If the Rams can get a lead into the fourth and force Leftwich to try and take the team on his shoulders to win the game late, they might be able to force some bad plays.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMBLE_ON Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Jags?
    Please, you have a good team, but remember, your not at home. Dome field advantage is in full effect, just ask the aints.
    It will be a tough game but in the end the Mighty Rams of the Mississippi will prevail. :clanram:
    Jacksonville is not what you would call stellar away from Alltel Stadium, 10-17 since 2002.

They have been better of late, 2004 5-3 beating Buffalo, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Green Bay and Oakland losing to San Diego, Houston and Minnesota

So far this season 2-1 beating N.Y. Jets and Pittsburgh losing to Indianapolis

If you look closely, the past two years their 6-1 outdoors on the road and 1-3 indoors on the road, it took a last second FG to win in Indy.

This is one thing the RAMS have going for them.

alfie Guest

You Rams fans are too good. No good trash talking going around, just good example based trash talk.

It's completely different than the Steeler and Colt fans. lol

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

) They need Martin to have the game of his life, because if I'm game planning for the Rams, I'm putting the burden on his shoulders rather than letting Faulk and Jackson run all over me. This means not only limiting turnovers for Martin, but actually hitting guys when they're open, and opening up the offense a bit more
    Martin did an OK job last week. He didn't turn the ball over and he had a nice play to Curtis down field. The WR's, McD and even Curtis dropped some very catchable balls, so Martin could have had an even bigger day.

It's going to be a battle in the trenches and if the O line gets some nice blocking we should be able to control the game via the run.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

You Rams fans are too good. No good trash talking going around, just good example based trash talk.
    We try to separate ourselves from the rest of the leagues fans.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by alfie

It's completely different than the Steeler and Colt fans. lol
    If the Colt fans we experienced two weeks ago are any indicator........we take this as a compliment.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

We Can Do It And Thats That! Go Rams!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

talkstoangels61 Guest

Rams Oline will play well and our D is going to have a decent day!

alfie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    If the Colt fans we experienced two weeks ago are any indicator........we take this as a compliment.
    Steeler and Colts are terrible for us...

Then you have the Titan boys... lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast