r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jacob Bell Has Been Solid For St. Louis Rams

Jacob Bell has been solid for St. Louis Rams
    BY BILL COATS
    11/26/2009

As the host of a bounteous Thanksgiving dinner, Rams guard Jacob Bell will be surrounded by friends and family today. "I have a sister, brother, mom, dad, step-mom, cousin, and a couple of friends and teammates coming over," he said. "So, it'll be a good day."

The comfort of familiar faces was a rare commodity for Bell last year, his first with the Rams after signing a six-year, $36 million contract as a free agent. Injuries kept the coaches busy juggling the personnel on the offensive line, making it difficult for Bell, the left guard, to settle in.

Not so this season, at least in Bell's immediate area. He, center Jason Brown and left tackle Alex Barron have taken virtually every snap. Continuity has been established, and the play of the line has improved significantly.

"I played on what I felt were some of the better offensive lines when I was at Tennessee" for four years, he said. "Coming here, this season especially, I don't feel there's many better than us. We've been pretty consistent keeping Marc clean and giving Steven room to run."

Quarterbacks Marc Bulger and Kyle Boller have been sacked just 21 times. Running back Steven Jackson has rushed for 1,031 yards, second in the NFL.

According to STATS LLC, Bell is responsible for just one sack. Overall, he's graded out consistently well on the coaches' postgame film review.

"I think I'm kind of figuring out some things that are working for me," he said. "It's just really tough to put things into perspective when you're not winning. But if I was to look at myself, I feel like I'm getting the job done."

Coach Steve Spagnuolo described Bell's performance as "very solid. He's a tough guy that's played well."

Pass blocking always has been a strength for Bell, the Titans' fifth-round draft pick in 2004 out of Miami (Ohio). Run blocking, he conceded, has been his nemesis.

"A lot of times when you second-guess yourself, it slows you down and you don't do exactly what you wanted to do. I still struggle with that and that's when I start getting into trouble," Bell explained. "But this year, I think I've done a lot better job of trusting myself with my technique."

Staying bulked up has helped, too, he said. In the past, the 6-foot-4 Bell struggled to maintain his weight — last year, for example, he slipped down to 280.

"At the end of my first (NFL) season, I hurt my knee and my shoulder. I had two major surgeries within a month of each other, and I'm walking around with a crutch on one side and a sling on the other side," he said. "I got down to 268 pounds. That's from 312 or 313 when I first reported that season. Since then, I didn't go above 290 until this year."

This past offseason, Bell, 28, persuaded his cousin to delay enrollment in culinary school and become his full-time chef. The result has been healthier eating. And the weight has stayed on.

"It's amazing — I'm at 305 now," Bell said. "I stay pretty well nourished with having my cousin cook for me."

All the better to deal with the bulky defenders across the line, he noted. "I would've never said this before, because I always thought I could be the light guy, the technique guy who gets things done," he said, "but that size does help you."

Bell also credits Barron and Brown with aiding his development.

"I really like playing next to the guys I'm playing next to right now," Bell said. "Alex, I don't think I've played next to a better guy; he's a fantastic football player. And having a guy like Jason in there in the middle, it helps immensely. I can't tell you how many times he's saved a pressure or what might've been a sack."

So despite the Rams' 1-9 record, Bell has plenty of reasons to celebrate today. Among them, he's thankful that he doesn't have to help with the cooking.

"Oh, no ... I don't do anything. I stay away from the kitchen," he said, laughing. "My cousin, my mom and my sister will be doing all that stuff. I'll be watching TV."

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

Re: Jacob Bell Has Been Solid For St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    "I really like playing next to the guys I'm playing next to right now," Bell said. "Alex, I don't think I've played next to a better guy; he's a fantastic football player.
    He is playing alongside Barron and Brown and he mention Barron as the best player. Really interesting.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Was Barron not meant to be our next Left Tackle when we selected him? Maybe Barron will get his contract and keep Smith on the right

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I hope Bell continues to improve and play better consistently. He seems like a good guy, but for some reason, I've never really been a fan. I hope with time, his improved play will persuade me to be a fan.

Maybe it's because he played at 290lbs last year, but this year at around 305lbs, he's looked pretty decent.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Thats one of the better articles I have read in a long time. As fans, we watch football games. We watch the guys with the ball. We rarely pay attention to the big uglies unless they do something wrong, ie sack, false start.

This is a great in depth analysis of our line, straight from the trenches. When I heard Bell say Alex was the best lineman he has played next to I took a double take. We have all been down on Barron, but now that he is in his natural position he is playing like the guy we drafted. My only concern is that he is only working hard because he is ready to cash in.

Also, we have J Smooth waiting in the wings to move over to left. He is being payed way too much to play RT right? Well, playing right tackle back in highschool has made me biased to the "unpopular tackle". I realize the whole "blind side" argument, but I feel like the RT in a run based team deserve just as much money for clearing holes for S Jax as does the guy who is protecting the QB.

This gives me a good feeling about our o line as we continue this rebuilding process.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

C-Mob I agree. Although LT is very important, I think it's an overrated position. No one ever talks about the RT, for example. And like you said, they probably should because that's where we've been running the ball efficiently.

Like I've said before, if it ain't broke...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think what we see here is an entire line gelling together. Jason Brown is really helping us out. He's been a dominant player.

I like Jacob Bell, he was frustrating, but seeing our line improve makes me love him even more. Hope he continues to improve!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The only problem, with keeping Barron is the money. How much do you pay him. He helps us with the price tag since he is the most penalized player in the NFL, but alot of teams are looking for quality left tackles. Since we potentially have 2 if Barron is commnading to much dough we gotta stick with Smith. Goldberg will be Fine at RT and he is one of our better Run blockers anyway