Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Jaguars fire HC and Schottenheimer name is coming up

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jaguars fire HC and Schottenheimer name is coming up

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Two candidates for the Jaguars HC job are expected to be ***** OC Greg Roman and Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Jaguars fire HC and Schottenheimer name is coming up

I really don't get it. I didn't dislike Shurmur and I don't dislike Schottenheimer, but what the hell has either guy done to warrant being hot head coaching candidates??

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Not too mad. Lets go after a certain Mr. Norv Turner? Comes from the same passing attack as Schotty, and is widely known as a QB "guru". I mean, he did turn Drew Brees and Phil Rivers into top notch QB's, right? Horrible HC, excellent play-caller/offense.

This is all contingent on whether Schotty goes or stays, but would someone really be stupid enough to name Schotty their HC? No wonder the Jags are and always will be a bottom 5 team in the league..
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I really don't get it. I didn't dislike Shurmur and I don't dislike Schottenheimer, but what the hell has either guy done to warrant being hot head coaching candidates??
    I thought Shotty did better than people thought he would coming over from NJ, but the Jets offense this past season showed it wasn't shotty that the problem. Still, the Rams O didn't exactly set the world on fire.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Are you sure it isn't his father?

I prefer keeping Schotty, continuity within the system is important, and hopefully he stays true to his word that he wants to stay here. He did a really good job at protecting Bradford after he was shellshocked by McDaniels's incompetence.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

This would, quite frankly, agitate the hell out of me. We really need him not just for continuity's sake, but for seeing if Bradford is "the guy." Let's face it, there are definitely Bradford doubters and there are definitely times where I don't necessarily blame them. While I'm not one of the "haters", and I do like Bradford a lot; I think having yet another system installed only gives Bradford yet another theoretical cushion in case he doesn't have a year that most expect him to have. Quite frankly, I don't want him to have that excuse--for argument's sake of course. I want to be able to evaluate Bradford based on him having the offense down pat, with a little more talent around him (which I'm sure we'll get from this draft/free agency) and, overall, just more chemistry. I expect a lot of that...Quite frankly I expect greatness next season, or at least the flashes of it throughout the year (while improving our record as well). The last thing I want is for every player to have to re-learn the playbook. It's not like it's only Bradford having to do it. Quick couldn't even get on the field that much because of the steep learning curve and you're telling me we gotta have the guy re-learn a new playbook on top of that?! Come on! Why do you think Fisher wants, literally, every UFRA back with us?

Let's put it this way, in my opinion, I think there's definitely reason for optimism, however switching OCs again, to me, puts a damper on any momentum we have going forward. Don't get me wrong, getting a guy like Norv Turner could be the best thing for the entire offense, who knows, I just know that we've yet to see our franchise QB--and our entire offense for that matter--have the same offensive system from one year to the next. It's a killer to me and it'd be a shame if yet another year goes by and a new system has to be learned. Regardless, I am confident in what Jeff Fisher said about the continuity of having the same system no matter who the OC is. So hopefully I'm just worrying for nothing
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

clarasDK is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Two candidates for the Jaguars HC job are expected to be ***** OC Greg Roman and Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer.

Lets assume that Schottenheimer likes it with the Rams (at least that is what he is saying) and lets assume that he believes that Bradford is the real deal (I do not think Bradford have done anything to disprove that this year even though he still have some way to go).

Here is the deal.... The jags call with an offer for a HC deal. Ok the biggest dream of most coordinators especially young once is probably to get a HC gig right? Yea maybe. But you also have to look at your long term marked value and the risks your are taking.... Two years as a HC and then getting kicked might mean the end of your NFL carreer.

With the Jags there is a very big chance that he would fail. No proven QB, a general lag of quality players, almost no team support in the market place - hell there is even the risk that the team moves to LA or some other marked. Off course if somebody can come in and make the jags a winning team they would probably be seen as the second coming of Shula, Lombardi or some other great HC.... But the probability for this to happen is VERY low, there is a much bigger chance to get kicked out after a few years with a bad reputation..

Staying with the Rams on the other hand has much more upside. The team in general is getting better and will probably be in contension for a wildcard spot next year. Lots of draft picks that will probably be used on offence as the D is mostly set. A QB with alot of upside! So big chance to have succes, yea even to be known as the guru oc that turned a bad offence into a decent or maybe even good offence. And with luck Bradford pans out and Schottenheimer can also say that he was the qb guru that helped make him a star. I guess that would lead to some better HC job offers in a few years than the Jags gig. Offcourse there is a risk that the Rams offence flops, but it is alot less than the risk of a jags flop. And at least Schottenheimer can say that he did not draft Bradford.

I know what I would do if I was Schottenheimer, I would stay put and be part of the turnaround and then look at the good HC offers coming at a later time.

And personally I would love to see how good the offence can be with the same playbook two years in a row.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by clarasDK; -01-11-2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: word correction

@AdamSchefter: Jaguars requested permission from Rams to interview OC Brian Schottenheimer for their HC job, per league source.

From Twitter

Rammed is offline Registered User

already posted..

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    already posted..
    What was allready posted?

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rammed View Post
    already posted..
    If this is in regards to the jaguars asking permission to interview Schotty, that hasn't been posted yet till now. this thread had just been about speculation from sources.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I don't get it either. Really has done nothng to warrant a HC job and I would hazard to guess that if he does get it, he will be back in the coordinator ranks before too long.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

First, that would probably be a nightmare job for anyone and I'll bet millions {of toothpicks) that it won't end well for WHOEVER takes it. Jax is a LONG way off.

Secondly, I seriously doubt they have a long list of realistic candidates, which would explain the interviews w/ these "second tier" guys.

I think I'm siding w/ Varg. Continuity gentlemen. It's something we haven't seen in a long time. I think it'll make a HUGE difference.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

Shahid Khan is still mad about not getting the Rams first he moves up to take Blackmon and now he wants to steal Schotty

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

If there was a team in worst shape then the Rams it was the Jags. But if the Jags want Shott, I wouldnt be too upset if he left...am still upset over some of the game plans this pass season and some play calling. Considering where the Rams are at this point in terms of their offense, I think the Rams can do better at OC because it will take a very creative OC to make the most of what the Rams have.--Shott just seems to come up short in the creativity department

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast