Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jaguars make trade per espn that may help us

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jaguars make trade per espn that may help us

ESPN reporting that the jags have agreed to trade Eugene Monroe for "multiple third day draft picks" to the Ravens. This can only help our anemic pass rush on sunday. For those few of you with really short memories, Monroe is the offensive tackle we passed on to select the offensive tackle from Baylor who was such an enormous bust that he may wind up on Mt. Rushmore, the football player formerly known only as Smith.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jaguars make trade per espn that may help us

I love this trade. The Jags lose their starting LT, and have to re-shuffle their line on the fly. I guess we'll see how Luke Joekel adjusts to moving over to the most important position on the line, and how he does in his meetings with Mr. Quinn. I've read he's had his struggles this year.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I love this trade. The Jags lose their starting LT, and have to re-shuffle their line on the fly. I guess we'll see how Luke Joekel adjusts to moving over to the most important position on the line, and how he does in his meetings with Mr. Quinn. I've read he's had his struggles this year.
    I believe Joeckel just had a tough time adjusting to a switch to RT. He's always been a LT throughout his football career until this year. Here is what he had to say about his move back to the left side.

"My entire football career I've always been on the left side. That's just what I'm comfortable with," Joeckel said. "I tried to get adjusted to the right side through this time, though OTAs, and through training camp. It's going to be nice going over there and playing on the left side."

I'm not saying that the Rams won't have shot at getting to the QB with Quinn but I don't think Joeckel will look like an open door.

I had hoped the Rams would take Monroe instead of Smith in that draft. Monroe was more solid if you watch his clips but I guess he didn't have enough "upside." The combine always seems to be bad news for the Rams.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

So now the Ravens have Ohrer and Monroe, 2 of the 3 OT's rated highest in the 2009 draft. They should sign Jason Smith just to get the Hat Trick!

Go Rams!
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan876 View Post
    I believe Joeckel just had a tough time adjusting to a switch to RT. He's always been a LT throughout his football career until this year. Here is what he had to say about his move back to the left side.
    We'll see, but there is no doubt that any time you shift multiple positions on an OL, there's a good chance for problems. Especially with a rookie, and a backup.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Considering they were failing horribly before this trade, I'm not sure it can't help but get better by installing a premier prospect at his projected position.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Considering they were failing horribly before this trade, I'm not sure it can't help but get better by installing a premier prospect at his projected position.
    We have a habit of making stars out of opposing players who are thrown into the fire, so maybe Joeckel does well, but he's had numerous problems this year with mental mistakes, something he has acknowledged.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

A couple of thoughts...

1) While this means Quinn will be going up against the rookie Joeckel, it also means that Chris Long is currently scheduled to face off against... Austin Pasztor? Long should be licking his chops.

2) Monroe, IMO a Top 10 tackle in this league, was had for a fourth and fifth round pick. Usually I'm not one for these types of reactions but... were the Rams in on this action at all? I think a line bookended by LT Monroe and RT Long would have been a nice improvement compared to the unit we're fielding now.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    A couple of thoughts...

1) While this means Quinn will be going up against the rookie Joeckel, it also means that Chris Long is currently scheduled to face off against... Austin Pasztor? Long should be licking his chops.

2) Monroe, IMO a Top 10 tackle in this league, was had for a fourth and fifth round pick. Usually I'm not one for these types of reactions but... were the Rams in on this action at all? I think a line bookended by LT Monroe and RT Long would have been a nice improvement compared to the unit we're fielding now.
    The problem with your scenario is that Monroe is a free agent at the end of the year and we would for all intents and purposes just renting him for 12 games.

Plus there is little doubt that he will be seeking left tackle money so there would be next to no chance that the Rams would be able to sign him.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Nick likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    The problem with your scenario is that Monroe is a free agent at the end of the year and we would for all intents and purposes just renting him for 12 games.

Plus there is little doubt that he will be seeking left tackle money so there would be next to no chance that the Rams would be able to sign him.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Precisely, we cannot afford 2 left tackle salaries, because Long is getting @30/35 million + for 4 years with a substantial portion of that guaranteed. And that doesn't even take into account moving Jake Long from LT to RT. We had that leverage with Saffold, but I doubt that Long would agree to that move.

Nice thought but it never could have worked. we also have to realize that playing LT and RT requires different moves that don't necessarily happen 1-2-3.

Go Rams!
    Nick likes this.

I agree it's a pipe dream, but oh what a dream. I doubt Long is here beyond 2014 after most of his guarantees have passed, and IMO the Rams really can't afford to wait until then to think about what this line looks like post-Long. I'll be crossing my fingers that the team has a shot at a quality OT prospect with one of those first round picks.
    MauiRam likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Has it gotten so bad that the Rams have to pin their hopes on this stupid trade for a win...and here I thought the Rams made serious progress in the off season...either way I am going fishing on Sunday. Nothing worth watching--even if the Rams win its against the Jags a team that is even in a worst position then the Rams

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Chris Long hasn't done anything this year, so I hope he can actually show up this weekend.

Quinn is going to have a tough battle against Joeckel.
    Rambos likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Monroe is a top 10 tackle? Yeah, no. He's average on his good days. Jacksonville fans have wanted him gone for 2 years and they invested the #2 pick in the draft to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Monroe is a top 10 tackle? Yeah, no. He's average on his good days. Jacksonville fans have wanted him gone for 2 years and they invested the #2 pick in the draft to replace him.
    Completely disagree. Monroe was Pro Football Focus' 10th ranked left tackle in 2012 and 3rd ranked left tackle in 2011. He's been a quality player stuck on an awful team. There's a reason the defending Super Bowl champions traded for him; if they wanted an average tackle, they would just stand pat starting Bryant McKinnie.
    Last edited by Nick; -10-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast