Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jaguars make trade per espn that may help us

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Jaguars make trade per espn that may help us

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Quinn is going to have a tough battle against Joeckel.
    Said the man with an A&M sig pic.

I'd say it's more likely Joeckel has a tough battle with Quinn.
    mde8352gorams and RockinRam like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Still a rookies first game at LT against an already established pass rusher.

Point, Quinn. Knock on wood. I do that a lot for the Rams nowadays.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I agree it's a pipe dream, but oh what a dream. I doubt Long is here beyond 2014 after most of his guarantees have passed, and IMO the Rams really can't afford to wait until then to think about what this line looks like post-Long. I'll be crossing my fingers that the team has a shot at a quality OT prospect with one of those first round picks.
    Wow, you think Long is a short term LT for us. I have no reason to dispute that, but 2014 will be the year we have to decide on Sam Bradford as our QB going forward or not. I agree the arithmetic of rookies is far better these days, but with Long you have proven talent albeit thus far average. Unless we draft Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews I have a hard time seeing Jake Long gone after 2014. I think the Rams will cut Courtland Finnegan or restructure him him after this year to create some cap space. I see the Rams fixing the inside of the O-Line before making too many moves with the tackles, although we'll likely have to replace Saffold after this year.

Go Rams!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Jake Long isn't the problem for the Rams.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Wow, you think Long is a short term LT for us. I have no reason to dispute that, but 2014 will be the year we have to decide on Sam Bradford as our QB going forward or not. I agree the arithmetic of rookies is far better these days, but with Long you have proven talent albeit thus far average. Unless we draft Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews I have a hard time seeing Jake Long gone after 2014. I think the Rams will cut Courtland Finnegan or restructure him him after this year to create some cap space. I see the Rams fixing the inside of the O-Line before making too many moves with the tackles, although we'll likely have to replace Saffold after this year.

Go Rams!
    My hunch is that the injuries catch up with Long in a couple of seasons. He's missed a few snaps already this season from minor bumps and bruises during games, thankfully it hasn't been more but I'm just holding my breath.

I agree with you about Finnegan; I would not be surprised if the Rams elected not to pick up his roster bonus next year, though I don't know what the cap implications would be if they decided not to do that.

It was reported that the Rams liked guard Larry Warford as an alternate possibility if Ogletree was off the board, so I think they know at some point they need to do something to improve the interior of the line. Wells has simply not worked out at this point as a free agent acquisition, and I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams cleared Harvey Dahl off the books next year as well.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

My hunch is that the injuries catch up with Long in a couple of seasons. He's missed a few snaps already this season from minor bumps and bruises during games, thankfully it hasn't been more but I'm just holding my breath.

I agree with you about Finnegan; I would not be surprised if the Rams elected not to pick up his roster bonus next year, though I don't know what the cap implications would be if they decided not to do that.

It was reported that the Rams liked guard Larry Warford as an alternate possibility if Ogletree was off the board, so I think they know at some point they need to do something to improve the interior of the line. Wells has simply not worked out at this point as a free agent acquisition, and I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams cleared Harvey Dahl off the books next year as well.
    Can't argue with your logic whatsoever, as usual. We agree on the inside line spots. To me Dahl is a question that will be answered by whom do we replace him with and for how much money. As for the tackle position that to me will be a draft solution. I sure do hope you're wrong about Long. We need him at the blind side spot. Wells is likely gone after this season too as we hope Barrett Jones can take that spot over. But you know what they say about the "best laid plans".

I can't resist, but maybe my affinity for Ricky Wagner a mauling type OT who performed pretty well for Montee Ball wasn't such a bad idea after all. You and I had some discussions about him during the mock draft season. He was drafted by Baltimore, maybe they'll cut him after securing Monroe. I'd still grab him.

Go Rams!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Said the man with an A&M sig pic.

I'd say it's more likely Joeckel has a tough battle with Quinn.
    You caught me Tannehill anyone?

Jake Long hasn't looked as good as I thought he would this year. He's being pushed around on that left side more often than I would like.

Wells is undersized and too old at this point. He can't handle a bull rush and exerts absolutely zero push in the run game.

Dahl like Wells, is old and weak. Although he is serviceable, he's not the same guard he used to be.

Jake Matthews for 2014.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nick this is spot on and scary if you think about it. We have J. Long and rookie Baron Jones for the long term other then that we have to rebuild the line. LG? C? RG? RT? I hope the Rams can get Bradford to take a two year extension to reduce his cap hit of 17 million plus next year. Cort is another one that needs to redo his deal.

Fisher is known to run the ball you would think he would build a O line with depth equal to the D line. I could see the Rams having four new starter on the O line next year.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

Nick this is spot on and scary if you think about it. We have J. Long and rookie Baron Jones for the long term other then that we have to rebuild the line. LG? C? RG? RT? I hope the Rams can get Bradford to take a two year extension to reduce his cap hit of 17 million plus next year. Cort is another one that needs to redo his deal.

Fisher is known to run the ball you would think he would build a O line with depth equal to the D line. I could see the Rams having four new starter on the O line next year.
    If wells and now finnegan have flamed as free agents to date plus we've whiffed on quick/pead our FO has had mixed results thus far.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    If wells and now finnegan have flamed as free agents to date plus we've whiffed on quick/pead our FO has had mixed results thus far.
    Wells was never the long term plan, that's why they took Baron Jones and want him to be the center of the future. Jones could play Guard next year and give Wells one more year. Cort has to play better he played great the first half of last year. He needs to get back to playing well and redo his deal, would not call him a bust yet, but if this is what he has left in the tanks I would say big miss.

Hating the Pead and Rok, lets moved back in the draft play. We could have got a very good player instead of these two.

Mixed results is fair to say, but heck they did hit on a few guys later in the draft last year. GZ, DRich. UDFA Johnny Hekker, how much did the old regime pay Donnie Jones?

It's starting to look like we wasted two second round picks in Pead and Quick but we still have to wait and see what happens IMO.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-04-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Torry Holt likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Can't argue with your logic whatsoever, as usual. We agree on the inside line spots. To me Dahl is a question that will be answered by whom do we replace him with and for how much money. As for the tackle position that to me will be a draft solution. I sure do hope you're wrong about Long. We need him at the blind side spot. Wells is likely gone after this season too as we hope Barrett Jones can take that spot over. But you know what they say about the "best laid plans".

I can't resist, but maybe my affinity for Ricky Wagner a mauling type OT who performed pretty well for Montee Ball wasn't such a bad idea after all. You and I had some discussions about him during the mock draft season. He was drafted by Baltimore, maybe they'll cut him after securing Monroe. I'd still grab him.

Go Rams!
    I hope I'm wrong about Long as well. It's not an issue of poor play but rather how long (no pun intended) can he hold up with that injury history. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll stay completely healthy for the duration of his four year contract. Recent history suggests that luck might not be on the Rams' side, though.

Hopefully the Barrett Jones pick was a foresight move for a team without Wells. I had hoped that the Rams could have found a way to bring Rob Turner back, as I thought he played pretty well when called upon last year. But according to PFF, he's been struggling in Tennessee, so maybe that was a wise move.

I believe Wagner is serving as the swing tackle in Baltimore right now, and could be called into the starting line-up if the Ravens allow Michael Oher to walk as a free agent after this year. It'll be interesting to see if he develops into anything, as I know we were following him closely during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Jake Long hasn't looked as good as I thought he would this year. He's being pushed around on that left side more often than I would like.

Wells is undersized and too old at this point. He can't handle a bull rush and exerts absolutely zero push in the run game.

Dahl like Wells, is old and weak. Although he is serviceable, he's not the same guard he used to be.

Jake Matthews for 2014.
    Long has some embarrassing moments on tape so far in 2013, but I don't think he's been bad. You might be right, just not exactly looking like a Pro Bowl caliber player at the moment. He's given up 14 hurries so far this year; only five tackles in the league have allowed more. I'm more worried about his health than his play at this point, but that's been my concern since he was signed.

I think you make a fair point about Wells. The NFC West features some beefy fronts; can Wells really hold up and push them around? He's earning $5.5 million for the next couple of years; I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams cleared that off the books if they feel Jones could step in and do better.

Agreed on Dahl, the writing may be on the wall heading into next year. At which point this team might be in need of two starting offensive guards, as I don't think Williams has set the world on fire either. 2014 could feature 3-4 new starters on the line, depending on how things shake out.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Hopefully the Barrett Jones pick was a foresight move for a team without Wells. I had hoped that the Rams could have found a way to bring Rob Turner back, as I thought he played pretty well when called upon last year. But according to PFF, he's been struggling in Tennessee, so maybe that was a wise move.

I think you make a fair point about Wells. The NFC West features some beefy fronts; can Wells really hold up and push them around? He's earning $5.5 million for the next couple of years; I wouldn't be shocked if the Rams cleared that off the books if they feel Jones could step in and do better.
    Scott Wells is listed at 6'-2" and 300lbs, whereas Barrett Jones is listed at 6'-4" and 306 lbs. Some have referred to Jones' physique as resembling the Pillsbury Dough Boy's, but with an off-season in the weight room, he'll add some muscle and improve his core strength. If Wells gets hurt before the season ends, Jones could be thrown into the fire even earlier. Apparently Barrett's biggest strength is the muscle between his ears - he's really a smart guy, and fully capable of making all the line calls. He was a leader for Bama, and should bring the same intensity to the Rams when he gets up to speed. What he lacks in pure physicality, he purportedly offsets with intelligence. It's possible he could develop into a very reliable center and have a long career here.

If there is any way that he can prove he's ready to play/start next year, that $5.5 million (allotted to Wells) could go a long way toward finding a good guard to strengthen our line. It will be very interesting to see if Jones can step up his game enough to excel at the next level. It sure would be great for the Rams, as they've got him cheap for the next few years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12