Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

  1. #16
    PARamfan's Avatar
    PARamfan is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    560
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    In my book, for the money he is making, Jake Long has been disappointing. He is not terrible, but he is hardly playing at a pro bowl level. It was a stupid penalty. Meanwhile, Carolina didnt get called for a single offensive hold and they had two or three obvious ones especially on Newton scrambles. the officiating is NOT the reason the rams lost. Self inflicted wounds. You cant blame dropped balls on the officials, nor can you blame the austin fumble or the failure to convert tds twice inside the ten yard line, let alone the INT for a td.

    Ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    You are correct but I would add that those NON- Calls you mentioned led to points they put on the board. And I 100% agree with you on Jake Long this team needs WAY better play from him.


  2. #17
    Curly Horns's Avatar
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    1st & Goal
    Posts
    2,669
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The officiating was a joke, but the retaliators almost ALWAYS are the ones who get flagged. The Rams played right into the Panthers hands and lost their composure. Simply inexcusable.
    "ALMOST" being the keyword. I think a YOUNG team on the road can only take so much. Yes we'd like to think they would not lose composure but it's football and emotions run high and on edge. I don't know anyone that is going to take being pushed around play after play, except maybe the Rams of the Spags era. It's the job of the officials to put a stop to that crap when it starts.

    I knew it was a bad omen when you used the word dichotomy to title a football thread. Almost as bad as lighting a candle before a game.

  3. #18
    SavageRam's Avatar
    SavageRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    A much worse call was the Chris Long encroachment penalty that gave the Panthers an unearned first down, and ultimately lead to Long being thrown out of the game.

    The penalty came on a play right after Newton was hurt by a hard hit by Quinn.

    The OL moved the exact same time Chris Long came across the line, so it's my understanding that the Panthers should have been called for the penalty in that case. I could even see Quinn clapping his hands and pointing in the Panther's direction as the umpire was about to announce the penalty, but the ump was interrupted by a line judge rushing in from all the way across the field. It obviously appeared the refs changed the call to be against the Rams at that point.

    I think it was the next play or two taht Chris Long was ejected because the refs lost control of the game and all hell broke loose with all the pushing and shoving. The thing is, Long didn't do anything more than what everyone else was doing.

    The chippiness just continued the rest of game. It's been a very long time since I've seen such a poorly officiated game.
    PARamfan likes this.

  4. #19
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Livermore, Ca/ Arnold,Ca
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    A thoroughly frustrating game all the way around. From the very first play, this was simply a bizarre game. One of the strangest I have ever watched. I feel like the Rams essentially outplayed the Panthers through most of this and I hope Sam is back soon. This team is on the precipice of being a much better NFL team then they are showing. I wholeheartedly agree with the comments vis a vis Jake Long. Austin is snake bitten but he will be special.....soon. As tough as this game was, I think it will go a long way in a lesson to the team about keeping emotions in check and letting your play do the talking. Having said that, kudo's for Dahl sticking up for his QB. Hats off to Zac who continues to impress.....
    RealRam, MoonJoe and PARamfan like this.

  5. #20
    PARamfan's Avatar
    PARamfan is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    560
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    A thoroughly frustrating game all the way around. From the very first play, this was simply a bizarre game. One of the strangest I have ever watched. I feel like the Rams essentially outplayed the Panthers through most of this and I hope Sam is back soon. This team is on the precipice of being a much better NFL team then they are showing. I wholeheartedly agree with the comments vis a vis Jake Long. Austin is snake bitten but he will be special.....soon. As tough as this game was, I think it will go a long way in a lesson to the team about keeping emotions in check and letting your play do the talking. Having said that, kudo's for Dahl sticking up for his QB. Hats off to Zac who continues to impress.....
    I am absolutely a huge Harvey Dahl fan after today's game we need a few more guys like him.

  6. #21
    PARamfan's Avatar
    PARamfan is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    560
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    A much worse call was the Chris Long encroachment penalty that gave the Panthers an unearned first down, and ultimately lead to Long being thrown out of the game.

    The penalty came on a play right after Newton was hurt by a hard hit by Quinn.

    The OL moved the exact same time Chris Long came across the line, so it's my understanding that the Panthers should have been called for the penalty in that case. I could even see Quinn clapping his hands and pointing in the Panther's direction as the umpire was about to announce the penalty, but the ump was interrupted by a line judge rushing in from all the way across the field. It obviously appeared the refs changed the call to be against the Rams at that point.

    I think it was the next play or two taht Chris Long was ejected because the refs lost control of the game and all hell broke loose with all the pushing and shoving. The thing is, Long didn't do anything more than what everyone else was doing.

    The chippiness just continued the rest of game. It's been a very long time since I've seen such a poorly officiated game.
    It was poor because it had an obvious one-sided view to their calls or non-calls.

  7. #22
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,690
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    "ALMOST" being the keyword. I think a YOUNG team on the road can only take so much. Yes we'd like to think they would not lose composure but it's football and emotions run high and on edge. I don't know anyone that is going to take being pushed around play after play, except maybe the Rams of the Spags era. It's the job of the officials to put a stop to that crap when it starts.

    I knew it was a bad omen when you used the word dichotomy to title a football thread. Almost as bad as lighting a candle before a game.
    "ALMOST" IS the key word, because 9 out of 10 times, the retaliator is going to get the penalty. Regardless of emotions, your players still have to play smart, and not let the opposition goad you into committing a damaging penalty. I'm not sure what Long did to retaliate, but if what he did even remotely appeared to be a punch, it's going to get called. Same with Quick, who was obviously upset, but you simply can not retaliate by slapping the other guy on the helmet, which is what Quick did. The Panthers punked the Rams, and are probably having a good laugh about it right now.

    I guess you wouldn't like "The Dichotomy Of Young Rams Players", where the discussion would be about guys like Austin and Quick making spectacular plays on one series, then dropping a pass or coughing it up the next. UGH!!

    I still believe in lighting candles.

  8. #23
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,111
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    What did Harvey do? I missed part of the game.

  9. #24
    Trevor's Avatar
    Trevor is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy From Hagerstown, MD
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,300
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    What did Harvey do? I missed part of the game.
    He basically was protecting his quarterback even after the play was over for like 30 seconds.

  10. #25
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,628
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Harvey had two completely useless personal fouls. Bradford got hurt, the hit was clean and inbounds and didnt even cause the injury, sammy really just took a bad step. Dahl runs from the sideline onto the field to hit the panther player. That kind of penalty we dont need. You have to keep the game situation in mind. It was still a two score game and third down. The penalty ended the game effectively and again, it was not a cheap shot on sammy.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    lostsoul likes this.


  11. #26
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Livermore, Ca/ Arnold,Ca
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Harvey had two completely useless personal fouls. Bradford got hurt, the hit was clean and inbounds and didnt even cause the injury, sammy really just took a bad step. Dahl runs from the sideline onto the field to hit the panther player. That kind of penalty we dont need. You have to keep the game situation in mind. It was still a two score game and third down. The penalty ended the game effectively and again, it was not a cheap shot on sammy.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    I agree the penalty was hurtful but I do think the game was essentially already over. Let's see how that type of emotion and "got your back " attitude plays out rest of the year. And IMO, Dahl was taking umbrage to the celebration over Sam while he writhed in pain.
    PARamfan likes this.

  12. #27
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    I was at the game and yes the refs lost control of it. One of the worst games I have seen in that regard. A fan threw a water bottle at Long as he was being escorted out as well. I haven't seen such an unruly crowd since I used to go to Raiders games in LA.
    PARamfan likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  13. #28
    RedAlice is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    It was clearly tripping and was a legitimate penalty.

    Here's an idea, how about guys start to commit to not making so many stupid penalties?
    It was legit.

    However, it was THE call that changed the game for us. Emotions not in control. No way Long gets ejected if this did not happen.

  14. #29
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,690
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    And IMO, Dahl was taking umbrage to the celebration over Sam while he writhed in pain.
    Good point. Dahl went over and saw Bradford down and in pain, and saw the Panthers players having a party over it, so he decided to break up the party. That's one I find difficult to be upset about.

  15. #30
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: The Jake Long Penalty on the Long Austin td

    Tavon Austin may not lead the league in voting for rookie of the year, but I'm sure he's on pace to lead the league in yardage called back because of penalty.
    macrammer, PARamfan and lostsoul like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Jake Long vs. Chris Long (little old but good)
    By RamsSB99 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -11-28-2008, 09:19 PM
  3. Why I Would Take Jake Long
    By jkramsfan in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
  4. Q & A with Jake Long
    By Rambos in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -03-15-2008, 10:29 AM
  5. Jake Long????
    By BIG MACK ATTACK in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -01-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •