tdog08 is offline Registered User

James Butler chat

Omar Vazquez , Cancun Q.Roo

06:04 PM ET

what do you think new coach spagnulo will bring to the rams? a new attitude? better game planing?? what?? im a little desperate to see the rams at least improving.

James Butler, St. Louis Rams

I think he's going to bring a different mind-set -- a work-hard mindeset -- just a different style, to the Rams. A bring your lunch pail type of attitude.

Ed VCR, Vancouver BC Canada

06:05 PM ET

Describe Spags and your relationship dating back to year 1 in NY. How tough is he (in a good way)

I think Spags adn I have a good player-coach relationship. I can talk to him about anything -- life, football, whatever. I think that relationship carries over on the field, too. Spags isn't really that tough. He just wants you to do the right thing and play hard. If you do, he's cool. If you don't, well, he'll find someone else to do it.

Steve, Ontario, Canada

06:06 PM ET

Are you going to tear up the backfield with my boy, O.J. Atogwe?

Oh yeah. We're going to hold it down. We have Hill, Bartell, we're going to hold it down back there.

Brandon, Estacada,Oregon

06:07 PM ET

Hey James. Welcome to the team, I am a long time fan of the Rams. Why did you choose the Rams over any other team you were getting interest from? And who have you taken a liking to on the team?

I'm very grateful to be here with the Rams. I'm excited. I chose the Rams because I like the direction the team is going. The coaches they have in place, the management they have in place, the arrow is pointing up. I want to be a part of that. I want to be part of that change, and all that stuff that is going on.

Jimmy, ireland

06:09 PM ET

What will you miss most about the giants??

I would probably say rthe friendships with the players and the fans. That will be the biggest things. It was all about them, and I'll miss that.

Tony, VA

06:10 PM ET

what is your most memorable moment from superbowl 42?

Most memorable moment was when Tyree caught that ball ... that was the most unbelievable play I've ever seen in my life. Just to see all the confetti come down and saying that we were the Super Bowl champs ... well, those are two moments. But those are the two I'll remember.

LA Bob, Los Angeles

06:11 PM ET

What do you see as the most important change that Coach Spagnuolo and his staff will make in the Rams' defense in 2009?

I think the most important will be probably the aggressive style of defense. We won't have a sit-back-adn wait style. We have to go out there and make things happen -- cause turnovers, make interceptions. We'll be aggressive, and that will be the biggest difference.

I think we'll probably have about 80 or 85 percent of the same defense from New York. But we have some new coaches, too.

grahm watson, maryland

06:13 PM ET

What are you most looking forward to this year with the rams

I'm def looking forward to winning. I know all the other players are, too. When we start winning we can start to turn this city around and how they feel about the Rams.

Ed VCR, Vancouver BC Canada

06:14 PM ET

1st off thx for signing w/ the Rams!!! Please decleat Frank Gore!!!! Send him flying!!! learn to hate the whiners!!!! have you picked a jersey number yet

I'll try my best to do what I need to do to handle Mr. Gore. But, yeah, I picked out a jersey, and it's No. 37. I'll keep it the same. It's the number I got when I first got to the league, so I just stuck with it. It's been doing good by me so far, so I'll stick with No. 37.

Josh, Tampa, FL

06:16 PM ET

Hi James, What RB in the NFL do you least look forward to tackling?

All of them are tough. I'll tackle all of them, I'm a willing tackler. But, if I had to nominate the toughest guys, I'd say Brandon Jacobs and DeAngelo Williams. Those two come to mind.

You know what? I almost forgot Steven Jackson. Can't leave him off that list!

patrick, Ireland, Dublin

06:18 PM ET

Who is the best player you ever played with?

I would say Michael Strahan and Corey Webster.

Brent, Houston

06:20 PM ET

what other teams did you receive interest from?

Philly ... Cleveland ... Cincy ... Miami ... Houston. A few of them. It was pretty clear-cut for me where I wanted to go. This is the best fit for me.

Rob Shandler, Saskatoon Canada

06:21 PM ET

Hey James, Ram fan here. Your choice to become a part of Steve Spagnuolo's regime in St. Louis speaks volumes about your faith in his ability to turn the team around. What about Steve makes you think he can right a lot of previous wrongs with the franchise as the Head Coach.

I think Spags is a straight-up guy. He doesn't try to cut corners. He'll do things the right way. Being with him for two years, I'm a firm believer in that. It will show up during the season, and in future seasons with the Rams.

He was a big influence. He made me feel very comfortable with the direction the team is headed.

Ben , London

06:25 PM ET

What can Miami fans expect from your old Giants teammate Gibril Wilson?

I think they got a very solid safety that competes, and makes plays on the ball. He'll fly around and have fun. You definitely found yourself a good safety.

Arlen, Alexandria, VA

06:29 PM ET

Put your GM hat on. Who would you take for the Rams with the 2nd overall pick?

Well, I think it starts up front. You build a team with the O-line and the D-line. I would start there. Whoever the best fit is there, probably on the offensive line.

David, Tampa, FL

06:30 PM ET

James. Are there "popular teams" in the NFL that NFL Free Agents would like to sign at and "unpopular destinations" as well?

I won't name teams, but I think there are teams that intrigue players. I think moreso so they can be closer to home or their famililes, or a certain city, as well as how the team has done in the past or the direction of the team. For me, the weather doesn't matter. That depends on the player.

Oh yeah, no doubt, there are definitely one or two teams the most guys don't want to go to.

Salem, Virginia

06:32 PM ET

Hey James. What do you think of what looks like a tough division next year with the cards, the niners, and hawks all looking like they can improve next year. The niners finished strong and the hawks have a new coach and a healthy Hassleback. How tough do you think the division will be?

It's going to be very tough. But coming from the NFC East, I'm very excited about the Rams'opportunity. And, at the beginning of the season, it will be anyone's division to win -- I like our chances.

Richard, Dallas, TX

06:33 PM ET

What is going to be your biggest challenge with the Rams?

Probably getting used to a new city. I think I'll be fine with the playbook, most of that will be the same for me. The biggest challenge is just getting around. I don't want to get lost!

Daniel Baldesarra, Toronto, Ontario

06:35 PM ET

Hey James, Surprised at all the Canadians on here. Anyways, how much of an impact has Spagnuolo made this early on the team? I'm talking about response from other players at the OTAs. I really believe he has got a glow that will command the respect of everyone in the locker room. Thanks, and good luck next season.

I think the thing he has on this team already is that he is a straight-up guy. He just doesn't cut corners. I think the guys on teh team understand that. They're taking that approach. We're in our second week of workouts, and guys are working hard, and we're ready for minicamp on April 1.

Jacob , Atlanta, GA

06:37 PM ET

James, what do you think about your team on the offensive side of the ball?

I think it's a very motivated group. I think the offensive line is solid, we have a great RB, and a talented group of young receivers. I'm excited about the opportunity that they have. I think Bulger is a great leader, and he'll get the job done.

Jimmie, Tucson,AZ

06:40 PM ET

Hey James! What's going to be the most important factor in improving the Rams weak secondary as of late?

I think just playing well together as a group. I think we'll make the most improvemetn there this year. Just being on the same page, playing ball together. It's a good group of guys, a really solid group with good speed. This group played a big factor in my decision. I worked out with O.J. and Ron Bartell, and Tye Hill is a business partner of mine in Centerville, Ga. That played a big part. I can come in and just gell with these guys.

willie Halliburton, portland, oregon

06:43 PM ET

How does bringing a new mindset to the rams going to improve the team next year?

Hi Willie. I think it plays an important factor. You think differently, and then you play differently. You get some confidence, and then you play differently. I think that's where having a different mindset will help this team.

jonsie, Dallas, Tx

06:44 PM ET

Do you think yall will have a winning record next year? Any predictions?

I definitely don't think we're going to lose! I won't say that. I think we will have a winning record! Does that sound like I'm being "smart" with you?

Wes, St. Louis, MO

06:46 PM ET

Hey James, have you been around the city of St. Louis yet? The athletes that live here like it a lot as it's a good place to live. There are a lot of good restaurants. If you like Italian food, make sure to visit The Hill. I'm sure Coach Spags will go there a lot.

Thank you for the info Wes! I'm definitely going to check out The Hill. I went to a Sushi Spot named the Drunken Fish, and it was really good. It seems like a great place to live. Missouri is called the Show Me State ... and I'm ready to go.

matt, Florida

06:49 PM ET

does not getting drafted push you more to do well in the NFL? he was named first-team All-ACC for two straight season in collage

It definitely motivates me. But I think my biggest motivation is beign the best I can be, and taking care of my family. That was a bigger part of my motivation my first couple of seasons.

OK everyone, have to get going. Just want to give a shout-out to St. Louis. Get ready for an exciting season. Let's go Rams!

Re: James Butler chat

I couldn't believe when he said we would have a winning record.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I took from this

I think the most important will be probably the aggressive style of defense. We won't have a sit-back-adn wait style. We have to go out there and make things happen -- cause turnovers, make interceptions. We'll be aggressive, and that will be the biggest difference.

I think we'll probably have about 80 or 85 percent of the same defense from New York. But we have some new coaches, too.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    I couldn't believe when he said we would have a winning record.
    Yep, you're right, I was fully expecting him to come in here and preach the attitude that we can win three or four games next year ...

For him to say we might have a winning record, what a cocky arrogant fool, eh?

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Good work, with getting this on here.
    It was an interesting read.

WestCoaster Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Yep, you're right, I was fully expecting him to come in here and preach the attitude that we can win three or four games next year ...

Can this guy post anything not containing sarcasm, I just joined buy I've read almost every thread and this guy's posts are so lame, he's either attacking other posters or posting sarcasm filled comments.
    Sounds like a bad case of small man's syndrome, probably 5'3 and bald.
    I don't even know infinity but i'd like to get him in the cage at my gym and shut him up.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
    Can this guy post anything not containing sarcasm, I just joined buy I've read almost every thread and this guy's posts are so lame, he's either attacking other posters or posting sarcasm filled comments.
    I don't even know infinity but i'd like to get him in the cage at my gym and shut him up.
    Wow... in your one and only post you prejudged a member in good standing for two years, ironically attacked him for attacking others, insulted him and threatened him with physical harm.

I can't wait for post number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

Why do you hate me so much fella?

Hey I would love for that to happen but being a realest more than 8 is a real long shot espically since we been mediocore for so long.

rams#1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tdog08 View Post
    Why do you hate me so much fella?

Hey I would love for that to happen but being a realest more than 8 is a real long shot espically since we been mediocore for so long.
    He doesn't hate you man. But to expect a Ram Player to say that he doesn't think the team will win is crazy. I wasn't shocked at all when James said we could contend for the divison, to be honest I would be shocked if he didn't say that, and kinda worried too. Remember back in 1998, we went 4-12.. what happend the Next Year? yep... Super Bowl Champs. Anything can happen In the NFL. I would suggest that if you Guys have issues you should Talk about it by PM otherwise this thread will probably get closed for Going off topic.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Butler being a business partner with Tye Hill could be a good thing now that Butler is on our RAMS. Hopefully Butler can bring out the best in Tye. It's time for Tye to live up to his potential whatever that is?

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

exactly like rams#1 said.. you want him to be in a winning mindset.
    i dont want anyone on my team that expects to lose games, though losing is inevitable.
    thats spags biggest challenge here, getting this team that has lost so much to change their mentality.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
    Infinity, who is he?

Thanks for the laugh here. This is one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. You don't know anything about me, or the typical type of posts I write. You have been here less than a month, I've been here over two years ....

I'm sorry that you cannot handle the fact that I am willing to respond to posts that I think are absurd and lacking content and call them out as such. The quality of posts on this board has decreased significantly lately, much in part to the fact that many, particularly new users, are so quick to post one liners, and refuse to attach any "substance" to actual football talk ....

But, in short, you are living proof of that fact. You have NEVER posted here, you don't KNOW me, and yet you attack me on YOUR FIRST POST, instead of maybe trying to post some intellectual about football ....

I have 32 rep power on under 1300 posts, somebody must like what I post, and not everybody is a fan of "sarcasm" ...

But you should be warned, many of the veteran posters on this board love to interject with a little fallical humor and sarcasm from time to time. Geez, I cannot wait until your first encounter with BRM, he'll eat you alive ...

I can't wait to read your actual posts about football, I bet they will be real jewels ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -03-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.

maineram is offline Registered User

Westcoaster, we really are a loving family, really !! But if your not a fan of sarcasm or friendly banter, you may be a bit unhappy here.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok ok....obviously we as moderators missed this one...I actually had not read this thread till now.

WestCoaster....welcome. However, easy on the attacks. We have an unpublished rule here that if you don't like a poster, don't read them. As long as they don't personally attack you, let it go. First post mulligan ok?

RI....Easy on the rebuttal. We'll get here eventually.

Now, what in the Wide World of Sports is he supposed to say? "Well, I think we'll win 3 games tops because we aren't very good." That would get you taped up to the goal posts at training camp for sure. Every player should say they are going to win every game. If they don't, get out of St. Louis. Saying the Rams won't win is for people like me.